This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol voucher SCs aka the bane of my existance

At the moment, we have petrol vouchers. These are given out whenever customers spend £50 or over in the supermarket, and entitle the bearer to 5p off per litre of fuel. Now, most of the customers who use these are nice, reasonable people; however, there are always a few bad apples who seem to be under a mission to make my working life hell on earth. -.- The following SCs' stories are in script form, as best as I remember.

Mr Scammer.

SC: I've got a petrol voucher here.
    Me: (looks at voucher, notices that date is torn off) Sorry, but this voucher doesn't have a date. I can't accept it.
    SC: Why not?
    Me: I'm not allowed to accept vouchers without a date.
    SC: Well, it came out of the machine like this. It's hardly my fault the staff over there are incompetant.
    Me: In that case, you need to take your receipt to Customer Services so they can sign your receipt.
    SC: I can't be arsed to do that. Forget it then.

Dates ARE Important.

SC: Here's my petrol voucher.
    Me: (looks at voucher, notices it's out of date) Sorry, but this voucher is out of date.
    SC: No it isn't!
    Me: I'm sorry, but it is. The vouchers are only in date for fourteen days, and this one is dated three weeks ago.
    SC: I'm a good customer, I come in every week. You should just let me have it off anyway.
    Me: I'm sorry, I can't do that. If we put thru a voucher that's out of date, we don't get the money back.
    SC: I don't believe this. Talk about bad customer service.

I Don't Have A Voucher But Give Me The Money Off Anyway.

SC: I spent £50 at the shop, but they didn't give me a voucher. Can I have the money off anyway?
    Me: You have to go to Customer Services and tell them this, then they can sign your receipt.
    SC: Can't you just take my word for it?

I Want Double The Savings!

SC: I have two petrol vouchers. I want to use them both now.
    Me: I'm sorry, but you have to use one per transaction.
    SC: That's the stupidest rule I ever heard.

I Could Have Had Two.

CS Collegue: (on phone) These customers are giving me a hard time; they're saying that cuz they spent £100, they should have two petrol vouchers.
    Me: They only get one per transaction. That's the way it's always been.
    CS Collegue: They're saying that they could have had two if they'd split their shopping into two transactions, so I should give them an extra one.
    Me: Well, they could have, but they didn't. That's not your fault. I've been working here for years, and it's always been one per transaction.
    CS Collegue: Thanks for that. I don't know why people always feel they have to try and get extra.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Stabbity stabbity

Gotta love how customers are "owed" a discount, how they've "always done it before" and how refusing to let them cheat on the vouchers is considered "poor customer service". And let us not forget how register slaves won't *shock* "take the customer's word for it."

When a customer tells me I'm giving them poor customer service, I'm tempted to respond, "Perhaps, but enforcing the rules lets me keep my job and pay my bills...so I guess I'm pretty pleased about it." Oh one of these days...
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Or "Well, you're being a poor customer and you get what you give out, soo..." Thank goodness the vouchers all run out soon... tho I'm betting there will still be a few holdouts waving out of date vouchers. *facepalm*
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Eeek. Out of date coupons...The manage at our old pizza parlor used to LOVE getting customer who had 5-year-old coupons. He would honor them with a huge shit-eating grin, saying that these people must be our REAL die-hard customers if they've been eating our stuff for THAT long...

Some times, yes, but most of the time, no...these were usually new customers who had never ordered from us, or who haven't ordered since those coupons were still in-date...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I hate petrol voucher SC's. And I'm on the supermarket side of it.
          We've started a new rule that we can't split shopping up for petrol vouchers. The suck has been fairly mild on that one...but I'm waiting for the next jackass to start screaming at me. I got a whole lot of anger I can release onto them...
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Sounds like a typical day at Sainsbury's to me. A few years ago, they used to give out different-coloured vouchers for money off fuel (1p-5p), depening on how much you spent in-store.

Is it all really happening again?
            Last edited by Alteran Ancient; 09-22-2009, 09:48 AM. Reason: Omitted MASSIVE Quotation!

Comment

I must admit, I'm kinda confused. Are those vochers good for a fixed amount off the fuel price total? Only thing I've seen so far are offers like the 'buy stuff for €25 or more to get a discount of 2 cents per liter off the regular price', which, by its very definition, contradicts multi-coupon use...
              I still miss my ex.
              But my aim is getting better.

Comment

The voucher is for 5p per litre. So, if you bought ten litres of petrol, you'd get 50p off the total.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Which, in perspective, makes the whining and screaming all the funnier.

Our local grocery store used to do the paper coupons. Now the discounts are linked to the loyalty card, and cumulative too! Unless you're like me and you forget to fill up before they expire.
                  Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Working...
                  X