This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specifics. I Need Them.

Okay, school's been back for about 3 weeks now, and the only reason I haven't posted is because this year's freshman lack originality. It's all the same stuff I posted about last year. Except for a few things, which I shall pen below.

Staying Steady

I've been promoted to "sub"-mini-manager. This means I have more control over the deli this year. I'm my own manager, and only have to answer to the main boss man of the day and the Deli Donna when she comes in on Sundays. This will be fun.

The sub thing? Dude J's play on words because it's the deli. Hardy harr harr.

All in Good.....Taste?

I'm used to odd requests now. Nothing surprises me anymore. You think they can't ask for anything more bizarre, and they surprise you.

But I'm having trouble understanding why people think I can put hot sauce, honey mustard, wasabi, crude oil, etc. on their sammich o' doom. I send them over to the condiment station and tell them if they want it on there they can do it, because I don't have it (also to cover my own ass in case their roast beef/cheddar/hot sauce combo flops.)

Specific...It Ain't an Ocean

(I'd like to mention Firefox didn't spellcheck ain't...)

Okay, freshies. I know this whole deli station thing is foreign to you, but please: don't just walk up and say "Can I have a turkey sandwich?" without telling me anything else. You didn't say what bread you wanted, or if anything else would be going on it. I refuse to play 20 questions with you. And if you can't make up your mind, I'm taking the guy behind you drumming like Lars Ulrich because it sounds like he knows what he'd like.

The "Dieters"

These two girls were funny. They both ordered a rather detailed sandwich, and wanted it on just one piece of bread. And I don't mean an open faced sammich either. I mean they asked me to fold the piece of bread in half so it looked like half a sandwich. Then they got pissy when the bread tore in half because it couldn't hold their Dagwood.

Speaking of which...

The Dagwood

After the Dieters left, the guy behind them asked what took them so long. When I told him what they had me do, he goes "Wha? Are they trying to starve themselves or somethin'?" Then comments on how he likes fuller-figured women better (whether that was directed at me or not I'll never know...I hope not. Eck.).

His sandwich o choice? Two of every meat and cheese we had, all the veggies, mayo and mustard on a bulkie. Thing was almost 10 inches tall by the time I was done.

This will probably be the only time I get both ends of the spectrum at once like that.

I Saw This In a Vidya Game Once

Those of you familiar with the DS puzzler Professor Layton will know this one.

In the first game there's a puzzle which asks you to cut an oddly shaped sandwich so it will fit in a container they show you. I had a student come over and ask me to cut their sandwich in the same manner so they could try it "in real life."

Somehow I pulled it off, which made them happy. I thought people couldn't be that...odd.

In the immortal words of Layton, "Ah. I suppose I thought wrong."

and rest.

Quoth Nashida View Post
    Specific...It Ain't an Ocean

(I'd like to mention Firefox didn't spellcheck ain't...)
    I believe that "ain't" was officially recognized as a word several years ago. So, spell check wouldn't catch unless you spell it incorrectly.

Comment

I'm used to odd requests now. Nothing surprises me anymore. You think they can't ask for anything more bizarre, and they surprise you.
      one of the guys at my old college use to flinch when i ordered cashew butter and seafood salad sammiches.

tho my fav is peanut butter & tuna fish on toast (with sweet pickle relish and mayo)

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
        I believe that "ain't" was officially recognized as a word several years ago. So, spell check wouldn't catch unless you spell it incorrectly.
        Exactly ^_^ It is technically a word, though I believe that it's considered to be "colloquial" speech.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          one of the guys at my old college use to flinch when i ordered cashew butter and seafood salad sammiches.

tho my fav is peanut butter & tuna fish on toast (with sweet pickle relish and mayo)
          I'm so glad I wasn't eating lunch when I read that... My stomach just did a backflip
          I pirated a copy of Linux and nobody cared

Comment

Quoth Taubin View Post
            I'm so glad I wasn't eating lunch when I read that... My stomach just did a backflip
            Peanut butter and tuna is surprisingly tasty. Also surprisingly common in certain places, too.

As for the Vidya Gamer, if it's in a game, somebody will be trying it out.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

More improbable combinations

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              Peanut butter and tuna is surprisingly tasty. Also surprisingly common in certain places, too.
              Other combinations that are improbable, but tasty:

Peanut butter and pickle relish (mix them together)

Peanut butter and chili sauce (the spiced ketchup stuff; mix them together -- really takes the dryness out of the PB)

Ham and peanut butter on rye

... and for dessert: Ice cream and salty peanuts

Comment

My fave sub?

Tuna, lettuce, onion and pesto dressing on dark crispy bread. Nothing else.

I get a lot of weird looks from the workers everytime since I don't order so many condiments... wonder why.
                A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                  Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Exactly ^_^ It is technically a word, though I believe that it's considered to be "colloquial" speech.
                  There's no "technically" about it. It is a word, the contraction of "am not" so there's nothing to spell check. Now, if you should happen to use, say, "grammatik" in WordPerfect, it will highlight it and suggest something else.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                  X