This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that was really important

This one started three weeks ago. I was on site to install some workstations and at 4:55, a decision was made to install some shelving in a storage room. This storage room has sat vacant for months. The items to go into the storage room have sat in a vacant office for months. This vacant office is to remain vacant for months. Despite all this, it is utterly ESSENTIAL that the shelving be installed by the end of the day, most important task ever, end of days stuff material here folks.

So I go to install them and hit a minor snag; I have no hardware to put them together. There's this unfortunate force known as gravity that will unfortunately make things fall down if they aren't properly secured. I offered to go to Home Depot for bolts, but it had to be put together with the proper clips. The clips were in another building that nobody had access to after 5:00. Well, my work area was officially declared a disaster zone. Hardhats became mandatory equipment due to the alert of the sky falling.

Somehow, the end of the world was averted. I don't know why, I don't know how, but somehow the earth did not open up to swallow us whole and then suck itself into a black hole. Apparently it was a close call, but this was averted by the promise that I arrive at 6:00 am the next day to install the shelving first thing.

I was quite frightened that I was going to cause the end of the world as it took me a little longer than expected, and I didn't finish the shelving until 9:00, 1/2 an hour past my deadline. With great fear I approached the customer who will be using the room to advise her that the job was completed late. I fully expected to be sent to the dungeon to await my execution, but was instead greeted with a casual "Oh... you're putting shelving in??? Well thank you, I'll get that stuff in there when I have a chance."

That was three weeks ago. I happened to be in the area yesterday and checked on the customer to see if she needed a hand with anything. She hadn't moved a single thing into the room, and had no immediate plans to do so either. This was the most important task in the world according to the facilities directors. This girl was supposedly going to freak and cause a major commotion if things weren't completed, and here she is, not a care in the world. I hate the way they overreact sometimes.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Are/were you surprised, or merely resigned?
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I was a little surprised that she was apparently unaware that the shelving was going in. It is no surprise at all that nothing has been done in that room.
      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
      X