This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Can't Believe They're Still Trying

I got a call today from none other than the American Express company.

Apparently one of our customers told them to contact us and see if we could be set up to accept AmEx.

Yup. AssClown Company strikes again.

I politely told the AmEx rep that our boss has made it quite plain that we are *never* going take their card.

She did ask why and I explained that it went back to the way he felt the AmEx company treated him a number of years ago and, unfortunately, there really is nothing that could be done to salvage it now.

[Aside: Unlike a lot of folks, when my boss says he's never doing business with someone again, he actually means it. So I'm not going to play games and waste the rep's time by pretending they have a chance with us.]

The rep said she was sorry to hear that. I thanked her for her time and we both wished each other good weekends.

But needless to say, I'm not going to be shocked to find out that AssClown Company has won another bid listing our product by name and we go another round where they try to dictate the terms of doing business with us by acting like schoolyard bullies.

And Mark's away at a trade show, so I can't send them packing until I've heard back from him. [sigh]
    Last edited by Dips; 01-29-2010, 03:10 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

At least the AmEx rep wasn't sucky.
      I wonder if Bob got a phone call from them too.
      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
        She did ask why and I explained that it went back to the way he felt the AmEx company treated him a number of years ago and, unfortunately, there really is nothing that could be done to salvage it now.

[Aside: Unlike a lot of folks, when my boss says he's never doing business with someone again, he actually means it. So I'm not going to play games and waste the rep's time by pretending they have a chance with us.]
        I am glad to hear of another person that votes with their wallet in this world. It is the only language corporations understand, unfortunately. I've got my little list of 'never use' companies too, that and choosing small local companies first seems to me the best way to let the big guys know I don't care for them and their business practices. Good on your boss!

Comment

Seriously, WTF is their problem?
          One might almost think they had some unwholesome unnatural obsession with AMEX cards that they just can't let go of. "Prreecioussss..."
          Can we possibly throw ACC into the fires of Mount Doom and be done with it?
          Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

I thought traveler's checks were the safest way to deal with money, say if an American went to Europe?

Not that I want an American Express card, mind you. Credit cards are trouble. Debit's one thing - that's from your bank. Reloadables, that's fair enough. Can't get into trouble when you control how much is in it. But easy credit? Diaster City, baby.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
              I thought traveler's checks were the safest way to deal with money, say if an American went to Europe?
              My technique:
              Small amount of cash for, say, a bottle of water and a snack, or that gorgeous handmade souvenir from a stall that doesn't take cards.

Visa card with a limited amount of money, for larger expenses, using at hotels, etc.

Traveller's cheques and/or additional credit card, preferably both, kept with my second major form of ID, and a piece of paper listing ticket numbers, identity document numbers, travel insurance info, traveller's cheque numbers, and embassy information.

One copy of that paper is always on me, in my under-clothing pouch. A copy will be in each piece of checked luggage (and often in carryon as well). The last copy that's with me, along with the spare cheques and card, will be in a hotel safe or some such.
              I also keep a copy with a family member staying behind.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

In addition, many places don't take traveler's checks anymore due to rampant issues with counterfeitting. We used to see several bad travelers checks a week at the amusement park, even with cashier training.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                X