This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy Center Idiots + Bonus

Yesterday - thanks to the brilliant scheduling job by Captain Jellico - we were short-handed (one person per department on a Sunday??). And because it rained, we were busier than expected, to the tune of being about 140% to budget for the day (we did $11K in sales while the home office had expected $7700), which is a good thing, but it meant we were all running around like the proverbial headless chickens.

And much to my annoyance, I kept getting sucked into the copy center because it was absolutely SLAMMED. I am NOT trained for ANY full-service stuff in CPC. I can help with self-serve issues and I can work the UPS counter, but that's it. I can't take orders in or anything like that. Unfortunately, everyone else knew NOTHING about CPC, except for Captain Jellico. And of course, he was "too busy" to help.

A Very Realistic Deadline

A woman came in and asked to pick up a completed order. I could not find it. She said it was supposed to be completed by 4PM (it was about 4:05).

Well, it turns out that she had submitted the order online at 3:15PM THAT DAY and then specified that she needed it by 4PM THAT DAY.

And the job was to print out a 175 page document and then bind it.

Frankly, the online submission system shouldn't allow customers to say they need jobs done so soon, but the fact of the matter is that just saying you need the job done by a certain time is no guarantee that it will be done by then. Everything we do at CPC is done on a first come, first serve basis, including web orders. And there were some many people IN THE STORE to help that the guy running CPC hadn't even had the time to check the online order queue. Then there's the fact that her job would have taken a minimum of 1 hour even if it had been completely dead, and it was far from dead.

Needless to say, none of this went over well with that woman. The poor CPC guy ended up dealing with her wrath while I moved on to another customer.

Impatient Much?

Guy hands me a flash drive and says he needs 2 PDFs printed. I guess doing this on his own printer or at work was too difficult.

However, as I mentioned, the copy center was slammed and very backed up with orders, first come first serve. Even if the PDFs were only 1 page each (and I'll bet they weren't), he was going to have to drop the flash drive off and come back later because we can't bump another job for his under any circumstances.

Needless to say, he was furious that we didn't recognize how speshul he was. He snatched up his flash drive and angrily declared he was going to "another store!!!"

Wow....that REALLY hurt. The loss of his business meant we were only 140% to budget instead of 140.000000001%. Damn......

Um.....Thief?

I somehow got suckered into finishing up a job for this cheapskate. He had two architectural drawings he needed enlarged, but he didn't know buy how much, so he had us doing it 1 percentage point at a time. First of all, he could have easily done this at self-serve (the drawings were only ledger size), but apparently was too inept to figure it out.

All told, he had about a dozen copies made at $0.18 a pop after tax. The ones he couldn't use were NOT spoilage. He ASKED for each one of them at a certain percentage. He should have paid for all of them. But after settling on the size, he took the two he wanted, dropped $0.35 on the counter and took off! Leaving the ones he didn't want strewn on the counter. Plus he shorted us a penny on the two he paid for.

Cheap douchebag......

BONUS!!!

While working on a display near the copy center, I suddenly became aware that it smelled as thought someone had just upended a 55 gallon drum of cheap lavender perfume. Well, as part of the Dollar Days crap we're selling, we have some some "scent gel" jars, and two kids that mommy-dearest had allowed to run amok had smashed one of them.

I cleaned it up, but the whole store reeked of lavender for the rest of the day.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

There's a small notice at my local copy center which translates as:

"A lack of planning on your side does not constitute haste on our side."

Still makes me smile.

About the thief, chances are he is either a student in architecture or someone who works nearby dealing with architecture, he'll probably be back to try it again. Just make sure all cw's know about the scam.

Comment

Quoth Mister View Post
      About the thief, chances are he is either a student in architecture or someone who works nearby dealing with architecture, he'll probably be back to try it again. Just make sure all cw's know about the scam.
      If he does come back check for a copyright notice on the plans. If they have one you have a plausible reason to deny him service.
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

The thief was an older gentleman.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          Impatient Much?

Guy hands me a flash drive and says he needs 2 PDFs printed. I guess doing this on his own printer or at work was too difficult.

However, as I mentioned, the copy center was slammed and very backed up with orders, first come first serve. Even if the PDFs were only 1 page each (and I'll bet they weren't), he was going to have to drop the flash drive off and come back later because we can't bump another job for his under any circumstances.

Needless to say, he was furious that we didn't recognize how speshul he was. He snatched up his flash drive and angrily declared he was going to "another store!!!"

Wow....that REALLY hurt. The loss of his business meant we were only 140% to budget instead of 140.000000001%. Damn......
          Yeah... these guys. They fail to realize that by the time they find a new place to print the job, they could have been done if they just waited for a few minutes.

I hate these guys.

Um.....Thief?

I somehow got suckered into finishing up a job for this cheapskate. He had two architectural drawings he needed enlarged, but he didn't know buy how much, so he had us doing it 1 percentage point at a time. First of all, he could have easily done this at self-serve (the drawings were only ledger size), but apparently was too inept to figure it out.

All told, he had about a dozen copies made at $0.18 a pop after tax. The ones he couldn't use were NOT spoilage. He ASKED for each one of them at a certain percentage. He should have paid for all of them. But after settling on the size, he took the two he wanted, dropped $0.35 on the counter and took off! Leaving the ones he didn't want strewn on the counter. Plus he shorted us a penny on the two he paid for.
          If anyone tries that at our place, I tell them flat-out up front that they have to pay for each copy, whether they take it or not. It's not like we can use the paper again. I also do my best to keep all of the copies together and out of the SC's hands, just so they can't split with them.

A few people tried that years ago, but not anymore.
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
            Yesterday - thanks to the brilliant scheduling job by Captain Jellico - we were short-handed (one person per department on a Sunday??).
            How is it that you haven't killed this guy yet? Just your nickname for him makes me want to smack him!

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
            I cleaned it up, but the whole store reeked of lavender for the rest of the day.
            That's what I hate about most of that stuff. Real lavender is subtle and very calming.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
              But after settling on the size, he took the two he wanted, dropped $0.35 on the counter and took off! Leaving the ones he didn't want strewn on the counter. Plus he shorted us a penny on the two he paid for.

Cheap douchebag......
              That was theft, did you get him on camera, do you have his contact info? I am guessing he left something with you so you could contact him when his prints were done. He should be banned for life.
              Tamezin

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                How is it that you haven't killed this guy yet? Just your nickname for him makes me want to smack him!
                Well, there's this little thing called the Law......trust me, I'd like to see Captain Jellico go away. On the plus side though, he's better than Professor X was......

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                X