This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales From the Other Side

I really am liking being locked away in the kitchen away from the customers. I get to play music as loud as I want, say what I want, and be as bitchy as I want.

Today Is Wednesday, Not Sunday

I dealt with this customer a couple of times when I was the bar manager. Basically, she would always come in either on a Tuesday or a Wednesday, during the dinner rush, and ask for one of our Sunday roasts. She would always be told no, but then would go into full on whiny mode "But you alwaaaaaayys do it for meeeeee". Other managers caved into her, but I never did.

A new co-worker walks into the kitchen as I am rushing about.

CW: How would you feel about making a Sunday roast?
    Me: I would be very fucking pissed off.
    CW: Oh...
    Me: Why?
    CW: I've got a lady out there asking for one, she says we always cook her one.
    Me: Oh, I know who you are talking about. Middle aged woman, curly hair, wears a business suit?
    CW: Yeah that's her.
    Me: Yeah, tell her to fuck off...politely.
    CW: I'll tell her no then.

New co-worker walked away. He returned a minute later.

CW: Oh my God, I have never heard a grown woman whine like that! "But I alwaaaaays get iiiiiiittt!"
    Me: Yeah, I knew that would happen. I've dealt with her a couple of times.
    CW: Why can't we do a dinner by the way?
    Me: Because it's the dinner rush, we're very busy in here, and to make her a Sunday roast would mean opening a fresh joint of beef, opening fresh potatoes, peeling carrots, cutting broccoli, cooking them, making gravy and making fresh Yorkshire puddings. All in all, it's more than half an hours work, easy. We're prepared for it on a Sunday, but today is Wednesday, and every other person in the pub has ordered burgers or sandwiches.
    CW: Right, I know what to tell her next time.

Glare at me all you want

I had just finished. The kitchen was closed and my bus was due in less than ten minutes. I literally ran out the kitchen towards the back room.

CW: Oh, are you leaving?
    Me: Well the kitchen is closed now, so yeah!
    CW: Oh, I've got a customer who wants food.

A very stern looking man glared at me.

Me: Well, sorry, but I've turned everything off, the kitchen's closed, and I've got to go right away.
    CW: Oh...
    SC: But I wanted to order four meals!
    Me: Well, it does say quite clearly on the menus when the kitchen closes, and it's well past that time now.

I ran towards the back room again. The SC's head followed me, giving me death looks. Two minutes later, I ran out. I had to walk past his table to leave, and was greeted with dirty looks from the whole table.

Did you smile and wave at them as you ran out the door?

Comment

I propose providing the Sunday menu on every day of the week. Of course, you'll need to factor in extra time and expense to make one meal from scratch when you aren't prepared. Wonder if she'll pay ten times the cost.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Is it just me, or are your co-workers kinda stupid, too? I mean, the first one I can forgive, I suppose. Just checking to see. But the second one? "I have customers who want 4 meals when the kitchen is supposed to be closed right away!"
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

The Sunday Roast SC getting her way isn't always due to a manager caving to their demands. During my time at the restaurant, one of the servers would give customers stuff that we didn't serve just to garner bigger tips from them. As for the 4 meals after closing SC, your co-worker should've told them it was closing time and to leave. Then again, their lack of planning is not your emergency.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
            Is it just me, or are your co-workers kinda stupid, too? I mean, the first one I can forgive, I suppose. Just checking to see. But the second one? "I have customers who want 4 meals when the kitchen is supposed to be closed right away!"
            Yeah, but like I said in the thread, he is new and had only been there a week, so I'm a bit forgiving towards him at the minute hehe

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
              Yeah, but like I said in the thread, he is new and had only been there a week,
              Was it the same co-worker for both? I wasn't sure. And yeah, being new is a bit of an excuse. We'll see if he smartens up If not, ROAD TRIP!
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Yeah it was the same guy. If it was someone who should have known better I would given them an ass kicking

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                  Yeah it was the same guy. If it was someone who should have known better I would given them an ass kicking

It's great how you now have all the advantages but none of the headaches of being a manager.
                  I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
                    It's great how you now have all the advantages but none of the headaches of being a manager.
                    Yeah it's quite good at the moment, the problem is that quite a lot of my co-workers still come up to me like I am a manager. The only reason I took this position was so that I could get rid of all responsibility, so I feel kinda bad having to send them to someone else. My co-workers are glad I am back, but are sad I am not a manager, apparently I was the only manager they felt they could talk to.

Comment

Working...
                    X