This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All because she didn't smile O_o

Well, first a little background information. I work at a fast food restaurant whose drive thru is open 24 hours. The coworker that this happened to is an older lady, about 59, and she's not really in good health. She works the 2 am-11am shift.

This happened yesterday at about 2:30 in the morning. These people came through the drive thru. After their order was finished the woman in the car decided to knock on the window because she didn't feel said coworker was friendly enough. The customer told my coworker that she needed to smile. She said no so the lady called her a f---ing b----- like 10 times. Seriously, I guess the lady wanted to beat her up over it.

Seriously though, I don't know what that lady's deal was. My coworker is a 59 year old woman who is sick, works 65 hours hours a week at two jobs, and has a 16 year old daughter who has some health problems. I know the woman didn't know that but people need to think that maybe there is a reason people don't smile. And it's not like she was rude to the customer or anything, she just didn't smile at her.

Christ.

I work nightshift, yea... 2:30am i don't paticularly feel like smiling either.

doesn't mean i'm not A. poilte and B. good at my job.

it's just that, humans in general (specially at work! lol) aren't paticularly bright and cheery in the middle of the night.

now... sat. night @ the pub with some friends at 2:30am i'm sure i'll be as cheerful as you want
    Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

urgh I had a customer like that when I worked in a card shop.

Twas the night before christmas!! I had a REAL sore tummy, the queue to my till was curled round the shop & out the door and my lovely coworkers had left me on the floor on my OWN. in a card shop. on xmas eve.

so excuse ME lady for not being all chirpy and smiley. She shouted at me in front of everyone " A WEE SMILE WOULD BE NICE!" and grabbed the bag i was holding out for her as violently as she could.

She clearly had a xmas candy cane up her ass. In conclusion, people who say stuff like that have clearly never worked in retail. And I wish it on them.

Comment

sounds more like the tree, complete with star topper was up there as well; i got the 'smile' crap quite a bit when i worked.

i'll smile when i feel like it, dammit and that's all there is to it; you got your drink, i was polite and that's that. i'm lost in thought and guess what, you're not a part of it.

as for the drive through hag, get stuffed, bitch.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

People forget that retail workers are human too. We're not there to indulge your every whim & desire. & if we don't smile & look all cheery then don't take it personally. It shouldn't matter to anyone if when you're in a store if a retail worker smiles. Long as we help you look for what you want when you ask & check you through the registers then what we have on our faces shouldn't matter.

Comment

I have always liked telling the "you should smile" customers a total lie (when the boss wasn't around to hear)

"I... I'm sorry. We just found out yesterday that my daughter has cancer, and I'm really worried because we don't have insurance."

Not to denigrate the people who are suffering from health problems. I just enjoyed the look that the "you should smile" customers gave me when they heard that.
            "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

Quoth chocoBug View Post
              Twas the night before christmas!! I had a REAL sore tummy, the queue to my till was curled round the shop & out the door and my lovely coworkers had left me on the floor on my OWN. in a card shop. on xmas eve.
              I started to read that in my head in the same tone of rhyme that you would do the poem, sadly, about halfway in it just stopped flowing correctly.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I totally believe it.

I got in trouble for that same thing at the Deb shop because I wasn't super perky and happy to be dealing with stupid teenage girls and their stupid prom dresses (which were being strewn about all over the store).
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I think next time I'm asked to smile, I'll do my COC impression, "Wut? You think this is Club Med?! This ain't no Club Med!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                    I started to read that in my head in the same tone of rhyme that you would do the poem, sadly, about halfway in it just stopped flowing correctly.
                    Lol oh god so did I

Comment

OH god the smiling not the fricking smiling. I work in a call center the customer's can't see me yet I always hear from my bosses, "You should smile the customer's can hear it in your voice.

If they can't hear when I am making faces at them they sure as heck can't hear me smiling for no reason like a creepy doll

Comment

See, when someone tells me to smile, I have one of two reactions:

A.) If I really am in a good mood and just wasn't too fond of them in particular, I'll take my fingers, place them at the corners of my mouth, and bring them up in the stupidest looking smile in the universe. It usually gets a chuckle.

B.) If I'm in a bad mood, I'll just look at them and give them the biggest, stupidest looking frown I can muster.

Either way I get a chuckle, and because I'm being perceived as just being silly, I don't get in trouble for it either.
                        I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

B.) If I'm in a bad mood, I'll just look at them and give them the biggest, stupidest looking frown I can muster.
                          I get people that tell me I look really tired or unhappy when it's like 1 or 2 in the morning. When that happens I just look at them though. I'm thinking duh, if you were here you'd be tired too. I'm never rude to them though so I don't know what their problem is. I had this one guy tell me to cheer the f--- up once. That was lots of fun. O_o

Comment

Quoth chocoBug View Post
                            In conclusion, people who say stuff like that have clearly never worked in retail. And I wish it on them.
                            Sadly, I actually did get that from one of my coworkers once. Something really bad had just happened, I was in a shitty mood, and she told me to smile. She got a "fuck you" for her efforts.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

People dont understand that not everything is peaches and cream and that we are not automatons that have no feelings... yes if you have an annoying customer you should still smile and kill them with kindness...

Comment

Working...
                              X