This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But he's still a child.....

BG - I work in the billing department handling several different services, including cell phones.

But he's still a child....

HM - Helicopter Mom
    Me

The cell account in question belongs to her son, has a balance of over $2K, and is cancelled for nonpayment and has gone to a collection agency.

HM: The collection agent said I should call you (gee thanks fellow phone person) to have this balance lowered.

Me: I'm sorry, but as it is an account cancelled several months ago, there is nothing we can do, especially as all the charges are legitimate.

HM: NOOoooooo!!! That's not right or fair! He was only 18. He's still a child!

Me: I'm sorry ma'am, but he was of legal age at the time of signing.

HM: But he was still a child! This is all your fault! You should have gotten a parent's signature or called us to get an okay before letting him get a phone!

Me: Ma'am, your son was legally an adult, and we did nothing wrong.

HM: But he is still a child! AND he has ADD! You should have known to not give him a phone! How are his father and I ever going to pay for this?!

Conversation continued in this vein for several minutes, with me either repeating above or making non-commital sounds, before she finally gave up with:

HM: Well I can see that your f***ing company doesn't give a s*** about ruining a child's life. *click*

As the Mom of a grown woman (NOT CHILD!!) who does have ADD, a tough job, college full time and a perfect credit history, I am so proud that I kept my mouth shut and didn't make it personal!

Bonus: Pwned a customer!

L: Loser
    Me: of course

L: I was just talking to another rep about getting some credits, and they put me on hold to get a manager's approval, and we got disconnected. Could you check if they finished the credits?

Me: Certainly sir. I'll look into that for you. *Go back into the notes, see that L had called in to have roaming charges removed because "he didn't know that would happen", but nothing was completed. The charges were over $1K.

Me: I'm sorry sir, but it appears that it wasn't completed. I do see that it was in regards to roaming charges?

L: Yeah, I went to the States, and didn't know I would get charged for using my phone there. (Warning bells go off - I mean, it's a DIFFERENT COUNTRY moron, and this wasn't some elderly person who may not be sure of how modern technology works)

Me: Of course, sir. Let me take a look at the account, and see what I can do. *Went through the account with a fine=toothed comb, and lo-and-behold! last April, he tried to pull the same thing, and was denied*

Me: While looking through your account, I see that you had this same issue last April, therefore you cannot say you were unaware of roaming. I'm sorry, you will not be getting any credits.

L: Awww....sh**!!!!! *click*

I WIN!!

...........I have ADD...... I fail to see what that has to do with my owning a cell phone. If you don't like that people are legally adults at 18 then lobby to have the law changed. Also if you plan to pay your "child's" bills for him then maybe you should get used to the fact that adults are more expensive than kids. I mean adults they want houses and cars and wow that's gonna add up.

Comment

I have ADD myself and I happen to be very responsible with a cell phone. That mother was messed in the head. If this "child" has serious enough issues to warrant his mother looking after him she better start looking into to obtaining guardianship of him on some grounds.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

His problem isn't ADD

His problem is MOM
        "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

With parenting like that, is it any wonder he still is a child?
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

i feel sorry for people that are babied their entire lives. they never get a chance to fully grow up
            If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
            ^_^

Comment

How are his father and I ever going to pay for this?!
              Well, unless one or both of their names are on the account, it's not their responsibility to pay for it..
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                i feel sorry for people that are babied their entire lives. they never get a chance to fully grow up
                I don't. At some point you have to say stop or you're just as guilty as the parents.
                How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                  At some point you have to say stop or you're just as guilty as the parents.
                  How do you say stop if you don't know any better, and don't have any skills to do anything yourself? After all, the parents aren't letting them take care of anything. Can't ask the parents for help, they just do it for you.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    How do you say stop if you don't know any better, and don't have any skills to do anything yourself? After all, the parents aren't letting them take care of anything. Can't ask the parents for help, they just do it for you.
                    Everytime I asked my dad to help me with my english papers he would write them for me. I stopped asking for help. I knew it was wrong because my parents weren't the only source of right and wrong.

I had tv and books too both which said that was wrong.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      I assume that most people don't live in a bubble. Some people want to be spoiled and a special snowflake and will pounce on anyone who reinforces that idea. Others decide they want to be independent. Sure we can blame the parents in the beginning but at a certain age people have to take responsibility for their own actions.
                      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth jackfaire View Post
                        Everytime I asked my dad to help me with my english papers he would write them for me. I stopped asking for help. I knew it was wrong because my parents weren't the only source of right and wrong.

I had tv and books too both which said that was wrong.
                        Not sure, but to me most of these little snowflakes don't bother to read anything by People magazine or watch anything but Dancing with Dweebs. Going by what I remember of conversations in the break room between these jerks if they have a cup of braincells between them you couldn't prove it by me.
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Asperger's here. And while I'm in debt for quite a few different reasons I sure as hell don't need my mother to pull me out of it.

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                            I agree 100% with this. With helicopter parents it's a wonder these kids can function at all. I hear stories of HP's coming to Johnny or Jill's job interview! I wonder how any interviewer can take this seriously!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                              I agree 100% with this. With helicopter parents it's a wonder these kids can function at all. I hear stories of HP's coming to Johnny or Jill's job interview! I wonder how any interviewer can take this seriously!
                              There was an article on ABCNews.com recently about how your family can sabotage your job interview...focused mostly on spouses showing up to the interview, but it might have mentioned parents....
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X