Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ISP for which I supported DSL and fiber service sent, by default, a modem/router/4-port switch combo device to every new customer and had been doing so for quite a while. There was also a time when they were using a single-port modem/router, meaning although they didn't know it, customers could slap a switch behind it and hook up multiple devices. Much money was wasted on routers by such customers.

That said, we provided what we called "soft support" and had guides for the most common Linksys models of the day. For other brands it was at the discretion of the agent, but at a minimum we could tell the caller "yeah, set it up for PPPoE and use the username/password for your main account." or "Set it for Automatic or DHCP and you're good." and also put their modem in bridge mode if necessary. Sure, this made Netgear and D-Link owners a bit unhappy, but hey it's better than nothing.

IMO, that's the way it should be with an ISP. Getting the third-party router to talk to the internet falls within the scope of ISP tech support. Setting up a wireless network (on a third party router), or modifying any settings other than those needed for WAN connectivity, not so much.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Most French ISPs (and all majors) provide the same kind of device... The first to do it were Free, with their "Freebox". All the other ISPs decided to hop on the bandwagon and create their own "box"... So we got the Livebox from Orange, the B.box from Bouygues, the completely uncreative Neuf Box and Darty Box from respectively Neuf and Darty... And most people have no idea that these are actually a modem/router/switch combo, and therefore can't make head or tail of how they're supposed to be configured...
      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

mmm maybe that's why some ISPs now include routers

mine doesn't, but i wanted wireless so i plug it into my little apple router thingy

Comment

All of those "boxes" have Wi-Fi capabilities, and either act as or interfaces with a Cable/DTTV/whatever converter box. The Freebox used to connect to the converter box through Wi-Fi, but they decided to use PLC (Power Line Communications) for the latest models. Apparently, it works pretty well.

The converter box also doubles up as a digital recorder (with a 40GB HDD), the content of which can be acessed from your computer through FTP if you activated the feature. Pretty awesome... if you know the feature even exists! To be honest, it's all there in the manual, but how many peopel do you guess actually read the damn thing?
          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Guh, the stupid, it burns....I was hiding 4 other machines behind mine while still using dialup. Viva la NAT!
            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth jackfaire View Post
              UHm far as I know you have to pay for more bandwith if you want to put multiple computers on a modem and if you set up a router to split it isn't that like stealing?
              Not in this lifetime, matey.
              Routers, switches & other network gear are DESIGNED to distribute data.
              Many ISPs who offer ADSL actually supply you with a combined modem/router/wireless A.P., so the concept of "stealing bandwidth by using a router " etc. is a non-starter.
              Just my 2 cents as a computer/WAN/LAN engineer for the last, er, 21 years.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                I agree, Ludacris IS stupid...
                *snerk* Couldn't help it. Man, I know the feeling. I get so many SC's that think that just because you're their ISP that you have to help them with every freaking piece of equipment attached to their computer regardless if it's supported or not.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                  you have to help them with every freaking piece of equipment attached to their computer regardless if it's supported or not.
                  Well, for the record, you'll never have me asking you to support anything beyond the modem itself. The rest of my home network? Trust me, you don't want to try to support that

Comment

Working...
                  X