This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaming customers and email filtering fun

So, as a level 3, I don't take many calls, and the few I do are in general the ones too technical for my supervisors, but too much for level 2s to handle. In general, I may get one escalation per month, if that. The rest is dealing with tier 1 or 2, and email tickets. This is one of those escalations that just happened:

*side note: we use an automated spam system that blocks any email address sending more than 100 invalid emails per hour. There are 3 people on the line with me, all of which want a piece of me, all of which are screaming and being incoherent.

Customer1: WHY ARE WE BLOCKED?! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS?!
    me: Well, I don't have-
    Customer2: UNBLOCK US!
    Customer3: *screaming incoherently*
    Me: I don't have any information as to the cause of the block, but I see 116 emails sent to invalid addresses got you blo-
    *all 3 go off on me at once, resulting in a noise akin to that described by Douglas Adams upon the arrival of the Vogon destructor fleet.*
    Me: Can I place you on hold?
    all 3: NO!
    Me: Then I'll mute the mic. *puts the phone down before they can respond*

when I get back, they're there debating whether or not I'm technically proficient. I let them keep digging for a bit.

Me: Alright, I'm back. What I can do is-
    Customer1: Unblock us.
    Me: Well hang on a-
    Customers 2 and 3: Why were we blocked?
    Me: Well,
    Customer1: Let me interrupt you for a second. What qualified us for the block?
    Me: Well, I was about to answer that before you interrupted me. I will answer your questions, but only if you give me a chance.

After that they quieted down, but not before tossing around names of upper management. The call lasted an hour and 15 minutes. All it would have taken was 3 to unblock him, explain that I'm actually not supposed to do so, and send him on his way.
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
    *all 3 go off on me at once, resulting in a noise akin to that described by Douglas Adams upon the arrival of the Vogon destructor fleet.*
    Ouch. The arrival, or the actual "planet go boom" sound?

Here, have some peanuts and

My question is, how did you end up with three people all on one call, simultaneously? More to the point, what idiot(s) escalated something like that to you when you were not able to actually unblock them o_O?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Ouch. The arrival, or the actual "planet go boom" sound?
      Or even worse, the Vogon poetry.

SirWired

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        My question is, how did you end up with three people all on one call, simultaneously? More to the point, what idiot(s) escalated something like that to you when you were not able to actually unblock them o_O?
        It got escalated to him because he can unblock them, he's just not supposed to.

And they're probably on a speakerphone on their end. Very annoying. Pick a spokesperson and stick with it, silly spammers.

Comment

ok, yes, the planet go boom sound. It's been a while since I've read the book. :-P

We aren't supposed to unblock them except in extreme cases, and I had more information on it than the supervisor who had the call before me. I ended up unblocking them just to get them to go away and quit yelling. :-/

They had some phone conference or sommat going on. There were for sure 3 people on the line. Not sure how they did it or why they felt the need to have 3 people all screaming at me at once but they did.

Comment

Pro Tip: Next time, refuse to go on until they nominate one person to speak for the group. Keep saying, "I'm sorry, but I can't understand you" everytime more than one person speaks at a time--even if you can hear them. They're feeding off each other, so limiting them to one voice can actually calm them down.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Pro Tip: Next time, refuse to go on until they nominate one person to speak for the group. Keep saying, "I'm sorry, but I can't understand you" everytime more than one person speaks at a time--even if you can hear them. They're feeding off each other, so limiting them to one voice can actually calm them down.
              Fortunately for me, there won't be a next time...I was just told I'm being promoted to Junior Admin starting Monday. :-D

Comment

Congrats on your promotion!!

I do agree that more than one person speaking at a time is much exponentially worse than just one angry person.

Comment

Congrats on the promotion

Comment

Fortunately for me, there won't be a next time...I was just told I'm being promoted to Junior Admin starting Monday. :-D
                    Very Nice! Good luck in your new position.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                      Congrats on your promotion!!

I do agree that more than one person speaking at a time is much exponentially worse than just one angry person.

What really gets me is that we are a library, a public service, people get free internet access for up to two hours a day, which I think is pretty generous, nevertheless we have people trying it on with multiple cards, but they don't realise that the more sucky (and they are the suckiest) are the ones that I remember and if they've already been around for hours with their constant muttering and moaning they're easy to spot.

More on topic we had a server outage recently, we put up numerous signs to say that the situation was out of our control (turns out the gas company had drilled through the WAN link) but still had a queue of moaners, made worse when one in the queue who we hadn't got to dealing with yet (but who could clearly hear everything we were saying to the guy 2 in front of him states loudly "this just isn't good enough, we need to do something". I stepped back into the back office and called for security asking them to eject the guy as he was inciting a riot, and all he kept shouting was "I know my rights". When he came in the next day I handed him a copy of the bye laws with the part about ejecting a person if they are drunk or rowdy with our compliments. Since then he;'s been pretty well-behaved, so sometimes it does work.

Comment

Quoth MilitantLibrarian View Post
                        and all he kept shouting was "I know my rights".
                        "Uhm no sir no you do not and to all the other SCs out there do your homework and check if something is against the law before you yell at us that it is.

Comment

Quoth Jerkface
                          "I know my rights".
                          He must be quoting this:
                          http://www.isi.edu/touch/internet-rights/

However, nowhere does it state that anyone has the right to have Internet access - or at least I can't find it anywhere.

Either way you look at it, the guy was still a total dingledong.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Best of luck with your new position!
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                            X