This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greedy much?

Ok so SC's order comes out to $5.82 and he hands me a $100. I know I don't have enough change to give him back so I say, "Do you have anything smaller?" he says, "Yes, but I don't want to give it to you. I need change." So I take it and I say, "See, I don't have enough change." He takes out his wad of 1s, 5s, 10s, 20s and he gives me a $6. How much more change do you need?! Ugh I hate people who have enough change to give us but rather give us a $100 because they need "more change". We are Dunkin' Donuts NOT a bank!

Seriously when your cashing a check at the bank they ask if you want small bills and large bills and if they forget to ask it is okay to freaking tell them.

Comment

I think I can go one better.

While working one slow evening shift on registers in the newsagent in the store a customer came in looking for change for a shopping trolley. The trolleys need a €1 deposit. She came in with a €500 note.

The biggest banknote you can get, and she came in looking for change.

Needless to say she did not get it from me (company policy, I am not allowed to touch any note that big. Security reasons etc.), but I later learned that she went to customer services to get change. She got that note heavily scrutinised for her trouble.

Pro tip: If you are expecting to need a shopping trolley, bring change, or something that can be reasonably turned into change.

C.
      Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

Whenever I cash my check at the bank, I ask for 20s because when I go out, I go to places where they don't take 50s or 100s. I don't know why people can't just ask for smaller bills. Geez!

Comment

I guess for some having big bills makes them feel rich and successful and special and that they can rub it in our faces.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I get lots and lots and lots of cash at work--hundreds more often than not. I have to hope my first cash transaction of the day isn't one of these idiots, because I only get $100 in bills starting out. But late in my shift, I've built up enough 10s and 20s that it's not a problem. I tend to have to be careful not to strip too many when I'm doing a cash strip just for this situation, though.

You know, some of them do this on purpose, just to watch the cashier get flustered? I had a guy pay for a purchase under $10 with a hundred and be horribly disappointed when I EASILY made change for him...

SC: "Bet you can't do that again."
            Me: "Sure I can."
            SC: "How many times can you do that?"
            Me: "How many hundreds do you have?"
            SC: *looks horribly deflated and walks out*
            It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

uh, you don't think it could have been counterfeit? he had a wad of smaller bills but yet he wanted change for the $100? and then he hands you the right amount of cash? smells like a big bucket of rotten fish to me. something's wrong with this picture
              there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

I had a co-irker pull this once at work.

We had JUST opened, she was my FIRST customer of the day, and she's worked on register before, so she knows the score. She's buying a gallon of milk, hands me a $100 bill.

J2K: "Don't you have anything smaller? You know I don't have change for that."
                CI: "That's not my problem, you just need to make change."
                J2K: *glare* *calls FLS to go into cash office to break the bill*
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
                  uh, you don't think it could have been counterfeit? he had a wad of smaller bills but yet he wanted change for the $100? and then he hands you the right amount of cash? smells like a big bucket of rotten fish to me. something's wrong with this picture
                  Actually, smaller bills are more often counterfeited than larger ones. We see $20s, $10, and $5s every day and don't even think about it, but $50's and $100s get looked over very carefully.

Comment

we were always suspicious of people making change like that anyway. didn't matter if it was a $20 or $100. and esp if the SC pulls out a wad of smaller bills too.
                    there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

At my previous job, all 20s were dropped into a separate box which even we supervisors weren't suppose to access outside of counting a till, even to make change. So the highest we had in tills were 10s. I'd consistently get people trying to use 100s for $1.77 cups of coffee.

I would always give them their chance to suddenly "remember" that they did indeed have a bill or a credit card, warning them, with a smile, that they may get lots of small CHANGE, even rolls, if they insisted.

Of course, they'd insist.

So I would check the bill..DROP it(since I am not allowed to access the drop box to make change and such), and then cheerfully give them about 30-someodd dollars in rolled change in addition to fives and many ones.

"Oh! I just remembered, I have a five/credit card/exact change"

"Sorry, too late. *cheery smile* Have a nice day!"

Comment

Oh god I bet they learn really quickly not to do that.

Comment

At the gas station, I figured most of my regular SCs were paid "under the table" or were so Stone Aged that their boss had never heard of direct deposit....

It never failed.....especially towards the end of the week.....100s and 50s used for purchases for sometimes less than $10.......and the best part was they always took out their money clip and I did occasionally get a peak of 10s and 5s, even 20s.....

I always thought they were such ignorant jerks.....and I wasn't too impressed with their wallets or the cash, either. A real man doesn't have to flash his money around to impress me.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            I had a co-irker pull this once at work.

We had JUST opened, she was my FIRST customer of the day, and she's worked on register before, so she knows the score. She's buying a gallon of milk, hands me a $100 bill.

J2K: "Don't you have anything smaller? You know I don't have change for that."
                            CI: "That's not my problem, you just need to make change."
                            J2K: *glare* *calls FLS to go into cash office to break the bill*
                            Wouldn't work at my store. If I tell you I can't break a bill, that's the end of it. Find a smaller bill or different want to pay or come back later.
                            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

yeah total scam . . .

ALWAYS check the bill they give you if they buy something inconsequential and hand you a massive note. People have fake notes and try to pass them on, getting real notes back. I dont know if this works with US bills but in the UK, I always put a penny under some paper and rub the note over the top. If its real the ink will stain.

In the card shop I worked at, a guy tried to pay for a 29p birthday card with a £100 note. I was like dude be reaosnable

Comment

Working...
                              X