Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I demand a discount on my senior citizen discount!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I demand a discount on my senior citizen discount!

I'm sure we've all seen this happen. You're in a place, like your favorite restaurant, or even your favorite place to get your hair cut. Supercuts is a good example. I used to go to one that had a discount every Tuesday from 10am until noon. After a couple of times, I went on non-Tuesdays, or I went after those hours. The reason? There would always be one or two senior citizens in there griping and complaining that the discount they were getting was not good enough for someone of their age. And if this argument didn't work, then they would suddenly remember some rotten thing their hair stylist did to them that would demand another discount.

I've also had my share of this in restaurants, too. In South Florida, nearly every restaurant has specials for the seniors, which I'm fine with. But, do they have to hold up everybody else bitching that what they have is not low enough for them? And, why does it always seem like the people doing this are the ones who have lots and lots of money. (Then again, they have lots and lots of money because they always get their way on discounts, right?)

I can't wait to see what happens if department stores offer senior discounts. "I hated that video game so much that I demand a discount on it from my already not called for discount!"

"I deserve a discount because I'm old!"

Comment

Discount whores one of the most annoying idiots in the world of customer service. A list of the types of discount whores have given me:

Pretty girl discount
      Senior citizen discount
      Canadian discount, the arena is close to Windsor
      Long time customer discount
      Long drive discount
      Religious discount
      My personal favorite: The Escalade discount
      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

At the cable company, everybody wants a discount... seniors, disabled, new customers, old customers, students, the unemployed, people on welfare, single parents, parents with too many kids, the beleaguered middle class, people who can afford to pay but just don't want to, and alcoholics.

And no, I'm not kidding. I've actually had a call from someone who said he needed to stop drinking but the only way he could do it was to have supercable service that he couldn't afford at retail. Because I couldn't give him a discount, he dumped the existential responsibility for his continuing life of debauchery right on top of me: "Then I guess I'll be a drunk forever. How does that make you feel?"

Let's see... I've also been told that I consider old people disposable, I don't care about WW II, I hate the disabled, I have no sympathy for people who've hit hard times, I hate kids, etc., etc., etc.
        I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Lot of seniors would come into Kinko's and ask if we had a senior citizen discount. We dien't. It's Kinko's, not the Golden Corral or a bingo hall.

Some people would come in and ask "Do I get a discount?"

To which I'd say "For what?"

And they'd say "I don't know, I'm just asking if I can get one."

We didn't have many discounts, but we used to (back when we had more control over what we entered into the register) an Asshole Tax.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            Some people would come in and ask "Do I get a discount?"

To which I'd say "For what?"

And they'd say "I don't know, I'm just asking if I can get one."
            I have heard many "consumer advocates" tell people to do just that. The "logic" behind that advice according to these "experts" is that one never knows if the cashier just might bend and give a discount if one is requested.
            "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
            .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
              I have heard many "consumer advocates" tell people to do just that.
              I've seen that in relationship to the cable business, too, mostly from internet sources. They always added my favorite piece of advice, "Call more than once... you may just have gotten a tired or bored representative the first time."

It was always funny where I work... in the evenings, we seldom had more than four people on the phones. One guy hit each of us three times before it dawned on him that he wasn't calling some 500 seat call center.
              I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth erik316wttn View Post
                "I deserve a discount because I'm old!"
                Then you add the Asshole Tax and it comes out to regular price.
                "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

"Then I guess I'll be a drunk forever. How does that make you feel?"
                  like i've done my job; your liver isn't my concern-the price stands, have a GREAT day. *click*

maybe a senior citizen discount based on wrinkle count...
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                    like i've done my job; your liver isn't my concern-the price stands, have a GREAT day. *click*
                    ... simply, "I don't care", or "Not my problem!"

People who blame everyone else for their problems really piss me off. I lived with one of those for about 5 years.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

The last thing consumers need is an advocate...they seem to be doing well enough "Advocating" for themselves.......I think employees should have advocates for dealing with all the bullSh*** we have to deal with from these jerkwads who think they are entitled to the world on a silver platter......
                      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                        I have heard many "consumer advocates" tell people to do just that. The "logic" behind that advice according to these "experts" is that one never knows if the cashier just might bend and give a discount if one is requested.
                        A number of "ebay tips" books have that, mostly having to do with shorting sellers on the shipping charge. Logic being that all sellers pad their shipping costs (scuse me, that handling fee is to ensure your antique Waterford bowl/Madame Alexander doll/whatever gets to you intact).

Ebay/Paypal lets buyers change the shipping fee (odd field called "discounts"). Since disabling that bug--ehhh, feature--I've had a handful of buyers try, but most of them seem to be getting the message.

(don't even get me started on ebay's idea of what an "acceptable" ship charge is--$4 is too little to mail a motherboard if the buyer wants it to arrive intact and working)
                        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 12-04-2006, 08:39 PM.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Religious discount??
                          0 Coffee! Thou dost dispel all care, thou are the object of desire to the scholar. This is the beverage of the friends of God. -In Praise of Coffee, 1511

Daranacon - because we're not crazy enough

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
                            "Then I guess I'll be a drunk forever. How does that make you feel?"
                            Better than you'll feel in the morning - have a good day, sir!
                            0 Coffee! Thou dost dispel all care, thou are the object of desire to the scholar. This is the beverage of the friends of God. -In Praise of Coffee, 1511

Daranacon - because we're not crazy enough

Comment

Quoth LdyJedi View Post
                              Religious discount??
                              Left that one out..."I only watch religious programs. Why should I have to pay for programming I find offensive?"

Comment

Working...
                              X