This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid or scammer...

Not really sure which one this guy was. I lean toward stupid since I can't figure how the scam would work.

Guy came into our store to buy a $100 Visa gift card. Because of the activation charge which is noted on the packaging, the total price is $105.95. We have a sign posted on our gift card rack indicating we take cash only for them. He tries to hand me a Visa (which at first glance appears to be a standard issue Visa bank card). I advise him of the posted policy and suggest he try a nearby ATM to withdraw the money. He asks me "even with this?" So I take a closer look.

He's trying to buy a $100 Visa gift card with a $100 Visa gift card. Using a card that cannot possibly contain more than $100 to purchase a card that will cost him $105.95. Argh.

*mind blows up*

Um...if you already have a $100 dollar gift card why would you get another $100 gift card with it? Even if it was a fair exchange, you're giving away one piece of plastic for another exact same piece of plastic and...

I can't. My head hurts...
    My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Maybe he is trying to scam himself out of money?

Comment

Hmmm, possibly. Or it could be he was trying to "renew" the card, since those gift cards start charging a monthly fee after the grace period. Probably a scammer, though.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          Hmmm, possibly. Or it could be he was trying to "renew" the card, since those gift cards start charging a monthly fee after the grace period. Probably a scammer, though.
          I thought about that a little while ago, so I snagged a card off the rack to look at the charges. They reduce the amount on the card by $2.95 per month as an administrative fee after 7 calendar months from activation. I guess that could have been it, but it still seems weird unless he was planning to not spend it for at least two more months.

Comment

OR....
            the first card was bought with a stolen credit card, and he's trying to remove any steps from that card to the new one. (like, when the scammed owner finds out his card was used, he has his company cancel all transactions, but the NEW gift card will not be cancelled, 'cuz it's another step away from the original stolen card....)
            I no longer fear HELL.
            I work in RETAIL.

Comment

It could have been that the first card was never activated (stolen) and he's trying to swap it with a new card.
              o.o
              There's no way that could be a straight up transaction.

Comment

Indeed its a common tactic, to used stolen, or scrubbed credit cards to buy big amount gift cards. Thankfully we now only take cash for gift cards, and I get to laugh at the scrubbed credit cards and call police. Especally the really stupid ones who ether don't put enough numbers on the damn credit card, or in one case had some upside down and had a LETTER.
                Military Spouse Support.
                http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Working...
                X