Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Giving away free stuff", but please don't kill eachother...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Giving away free stuff", but please don't kill eachother...

Yesterday, the Housing Authority I work for staged a huge give away of several donated items, new and old, for anyone who wanted it. We used an old complex that is no longer in use, filled the apartments with the donations, and had staff posted at each one. People were given vouchers and staff had to sign off on it when ever they took something. People chould hold things, which I though was a bad idea. It didn't look like we were giving these items away, but more like people were looting because they were shoving and grabbing everything they could and then running off before someone could take it from them.

I know the population, I work with them on a daily basis, so I knew who was going to be rude and aggressive and whose items I would be willing to keep a good eye on. I got shoved, pushed, and yelled at all morning. They were told that we could not help them in any way and that if they reserved something we weren't responsible for keeping an eye on it. People begged me to carry massive book shelves and fans, then cuss at me because I said "No, I'm not authorized to do so". One woman spit at me and claimed I was racist for not helping her.

Some people tried to steal the items by hiding them in their pockets even though they were free and unlimited. At one point, people got into the supply building and took the supply of paper towels and toilet paper we weren't trying to give away and I heard the boss say "just let them have it"

Within an hour, people had basicall reserved nearly every item left. You couldn't walk into any of the apartments without seeing about 10 large items being heald by one single person. I watched several severaly over weight women use their size as an advantage as they shoved their way though these apartments, knocking chilren down stairs, people into walls, and hitting staff.

In the mess of the give-away I got something too, a snuggie for the dog. Sadly, it didn't fit but it does fit the cat who completely tolerates it.

Good god it sounds like you need the SWAT team to come in to manage these events! I would have been inclined to tell them, "Sorry, I thought your were low income, not wild pigs."

And on the snuggie. We have a kitten who is very much so lively and loves to stalk everything in the apartment that moves. But we put one of my fleece blankies on the floor and now she just curls up in it and naps. She'll wake up if you walk past and blink at you with bleary eyes. If she is feeling fiesty, she just pounces on the creases in the blanket. To understand the cuteness, she's only about 4-5 weeks old. She was found abandoned by her momma at barely a week old and we've been bottle feeding her since.
    "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

It's rather sad that the only thing it takes to turn people into primitive animals are the words "FREE STUFF!"
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Working...
      X