This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will help you all I can, but not if you call me a liar

I was cleaning up the store yesterday in the middle of my shift. A man comes up to me and says "do you know how much this picture is?" Standard question, so I pint out the price tag to him. He asks "is there anyone I can speak to about getting a lower price on this because I don't think it is worth the price on it and I don't want to pay that much." (as an aside, we do not adjust our prices for anyone for ANY reason.) I tell him my standard explanation. "I can call a manager if you want." He says "I used to work here several years ago." I reply "I will call a manager for you, but he will tell you the same thing, that the price on this is fixed and will not change." He says "I know for a fact that that is not true." So at that point I just walked away without a word, thinking "I was going to help you but you had no right to call me a liar."
    I went into the back to talk to my manager in case he complained about my walking away and she told me I was in the right after listening to my side. Bottom line, here or really at any retail place, we will be glad to help you any way we can, but if you call us a liar, that courtesy will instantly end.
    When I walked back out to the store, I saw him several times later but just ignored him. F--- off if you want my help after calling me a liar. NO WAY.
    I am the commander commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I had no problem giving someone a discount if a book was damaged (and it was the last one) but "I don't think it's worth that much" is not a legit reason for a discount. Now if he was buying 30 pictures, I could see asking for a bulk discount (I think 30 is the cutoff at the bookstore; 30-50 gets one discount, more gets a slightly higher discount, or something like that, but that many copies of something always involved special orders which we had someone specific to deal with those).

And if he used to work there he should know the policies...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      And if he used to work there he should know the policies...
      I suspect this claim was along the same lines as "I know the owner".
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        This is why I would like to run my own shop someday, or else work at a small co-op type store (if that's the right word) where the employees are part-owners...So that, when somebody asks for the owner, i can reply with, "Speaking."
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          This is why I would like to run my own shop someday, or else work at a small co-op type store (if that's the right word) where the employees are part-owners...So that, when somebody asks for the owner, i can reply with, "Speaking."
          or if they try the "i know the owner!" you can say "uhh...no you don't," then watch as they try to recover.
          If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
          ^_^

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            I got to witness one of those once.

"The manager said..."

The manager was standing right next to me and no, she did not said.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
              or if they try the "i know the owner!" you can say "uhh...no you don't," then watch as they try to recover.
              Or even better, "Oh yeah I remember you now you owe me 50 bucks"

Comment

yea seen those people

what you did i have to say "get powned" to that customer. awesome what you did.
                CONVERGYS/COMCAST'S FINEST OVER THE PHONE SLAVE "TAKING CRAP FROM EACH CUSTOMER WITH HALF OF WHAT THE REAL EMPLOYEE FROM COMCAST GETS PAID AND A SMILE AND AN APOLOGY!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  No, no, no....

That's when you duck behind a counter, put on a different hat, then come back out as the owner.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    No, no, no....

That's when you duck behind a counter, put on a different hat, then come back out as the owner.

^-.-^

When I worked for Domino's as a phone-girl in high school, the owner used to sometimes work the ovens and make-line. I remember he used to pull a version of this when people would call and try to get us to make a delivery out of the "area". They NEVAH-EVAH took MY word for it, so I would pass HIM the phone and he'd say "Thank you for calling Domino's, this is the OWNER Geoff S. HOW MAY I HELP YOU?"

The calls would always end quickly and painlessly.
                    I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Working...
                    X