This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for the record (short)

This stupid fucker asked you to repeat yourself because you are in a loud bar, I can hear the music very clearly, and you insist on speaking at a volume befitting a nunnery... the fact that you are speaking with what sounds like a southern accent on a cell phone with poor reception isn't helping matters. Based on the conversation, or what little of it I relayed before you hung up on me for asking you to repeat one sentence, you are a complete jackass to your deaf friend to begin with... my one regret in this whole saga is that I am not allowed to relay (hearing user is a complete royal douchebag, you should cut off ties with him)... closest I can come is relaying (sounds annoyed), (sounds irritated), (sounds impatient), all three were used... that is the closest I can come to outright saying it... because well, he did sound annoyed, irritated, and impatient.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
    and you insist on speaking at a volume befitting a nunnery...
    convent?

Nunnery=brothel/bordello
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

People whisper in bordello's too!! Hehe! sorry.
      "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Definitions of nunnery on the Web:

* the convent of a community of nuns
        wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* a place of residence for nuns; (obsolete) a brothel
        en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nunnery

* an establishment of nuns
        medievalwriting.50megs.com/churchglossary/glossaryn.htm

* A collection of buildings for women who have devoted themselves to a religious life (nuns).
        www.engagingplaces.org.uk/resources/art64210

* A building where nuns live.
        myths.e2bn.org/mythsandlegends/view_glossary_563_N.html

Comment

Heh, that's a new one. I wonder how a nunnery went from brothel -> living places for nuns.

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
            Heh, that's a new one. I wonder how a nunnery went from brothel -> living places for nuns.
            I suspect that (assuming the definition in wiktionary is correct - after all, anyone can edit it if they have an agenda...) it was the other way round. It probably always referred to nuns' living quarters, and brothels were given the name as a euphamism, which then fell out of use.

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
              I suspect that it was the other way round. It probably always referred to nuns' living quarters, and brothels were given the name as a euphamism, which then fell out of use.
              This is correct. Nunnery = brothel is tudor/elizabethan slang. Nunnery as a synonym for convent has been around for about twelve centuries.

(Why, yes, I'm a history geek, why do you ask? I'm also a recovering catholic who once studied to become a nun.)

Comment

Get thee to a nunnery...
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
                  People whisper in bordello's too!! Hehe! sorry.
                  Anyone else wanna know how NightWatch knows this?
                  "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                    This is correct. Nunnery = brothel is tudor/elizabethan slang.

I still use old slang.....it confuses people

Plus insulting people in old/middle English they usually don't realize you've just insulted them
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                      I still use old slang.....it confuses people
                      I do not bite my thumb at you sir but I do bite my thumb sir.

Comment

Quoth jackfaire View Post
                        I do not bite my thumb at you sir but I do bite my thumb sir.
                        Do you quarrel, sir?
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

All this talk about brothels and bordellos has me wondering if smileyeagle has had a relay call to one of those 900 numbers? Or are calls to 900 numbers even allowed? (A 900 number in the US had a fee associated with it, and they're not all sex lines.)
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Nope, no 900 calls allowed... we aint picking up the bill thank you very much.

That said, I have before relayed phone sex between people in a couple... one time a gay couple... oh, now THAT was fun.

It is hilarious listening to someone relaying phone sex, since we use ASR software to dictate the hearing user's side of the conversation you can hear both sides of the conversation... and the relay operator will go from being all into it (at the caller's request, of course ) to being all monotone and somber for the ASR
                            Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 11-19-2009, 04:20 AM.
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                            X