This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you must be joking

OK, seriously, how hard is it for you to understand, FCC rules do NOT allow me to make a relay to relay call. As soon as I hear another relay operator pick up I have to identify myself an apologize and disconnect... if i don't, the other person will, if they are doing their job, hang up for me. Why is it after I explain this rule and tell you that you have further questions to please email customer service do you insist on calling our technical support number to ask them why it cannot be done. Seriously, tech support is going to tell you the exact same thing that I am... FCC doesn't allow it, if you want more information contact customer service.

Oh, did I mention that technical support is closed, I relayed that message really early in the game, it was the very first thing that I heard when I dialed the number... what does he do... he tells me to find a live rep... seriously dude, I know that this message aint lying... I saw them leaving while I was on lunch break.

Grr... some people just really are that dense.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

I've never worked a phone job before so i'm wondering, what's a relay call?

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
      I've never worked a phone job before so i'm wondering, what's a relay call?
      I can actually answer that one from memory.
      *enter into work mode*
      A relay call is used by deaf or hard of hearing people to make phone calls. They will use either internet or text message to type out their part of the conversation to me and I will relay that conversation between you. Please speak slowly because I have to type your part of the conversation and speak as if you are speaking to that person directly. Also, please due allow for a slight delay as they type their responses. Do you have any questions before I connect the caller?"

Basic idea, I am the deaf person's ears and voice for the phone call.
      The FCC will only allow a relay service to call hearing users (or automated menus designed for hearing users). They will not allow us to call another relay company... they say it is because there are so many options for two deaf people to communicate using... the real reason though is that they don't really want to be paying two people for the same call.

Comment

just remembered something...when i was working at a certain cookie store, i took an order via relay call. it was an interesting experience. and then when the customer came in to pick up their order, i had to use what very little sign language i know. woulda been nice to have a relay worker then!
        If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
        ^_^

Comment

I'm trying to envision a situation where somebody would NEED more than one relay service to complete a call in the first place and am drawing a blank.
          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth neecy View Post
            I'm trying to envision a situation where somebody would NEED more than one relay service to complete a call in the first place and am drawing a blank.
            I can think of at least one... say you are a person who isn't very good at sign language, but you can type really well, you want to talk to your friend who speaks fluent sign language but can't type to save their lives... an idea pops into your head, you connect to your relay operator for text relay and have them connect to their relay operator for ASL relay... problem solved, let the relay operators deal with the difference in skills.
            That is the only reason I can think of though. It would be nice if there was a text to ASL service, but as of yet there is only text to voice and ASL to voice.

Comment

Ah ok so I DID know what a relay call was (I've used the service before). For some reason I thought you were referring to something else.
              I'm smrt.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                I'm smrt.
                So I take it this means you burned up your high school diploma while it was still on the wall?
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Son...
                  I am confuse...
                  Not disappoint, confuse...

Why, oh why, oh why, can relay operators not connect to other relay operators? Besides FCC rules...?
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                    Why, oh why, oh why, can relay operators not connect to other relay operators? Besides FCC rules...?
                    I think Smiley is saying that "That's the ONLY reason why not (the FCC rules)", and that, if not for the rule(s), he would do it. I think.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      I think Smiley is saying that "That's the ONLY reason why not (the FCC rules)", and that, if not for the rule(s), he would do it. I think.
                      That's exactly it, in the heirarchy of US governmental agencies you don't fuck with, the top three are (and in this order) the CIA, the IRS, and the FCC. Even if I were willing to run the risk of violating FCC laws, the odds of finding another relay operator on the other end who is willing to violate FCC laws as well is very small.

That aside, it is a waste of time for both parties... if they both have text/instant messenger software, they might as well just use that to communicate rather than using us.

Comment

I wonder Smiley, how do ASL relay calls work... On the pc does the operator AND caller use webcams for video?

Is there a TTL equivalent dedicated eqpt. with a defined protocol to use for ASL relay calls without a PC?
                        I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          That's exactly it, in the heirarchy of US governmental agencies you don't fuck with, the top three are (and in this order) the CIA, the IRS, and the FCC.
                          Totally OT, but the ATF probably still trumps those at the moment... used to have a friend that was trying to become a fed, and he says any new enforcement agency is scary stuff until they've been around long enough to have proper controls put in place.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
                            I wonder Smiley, how do ASL relay calls work... On the pc does the operator AND caller use webcams for video?

Is there a TTL equivalent dedicated eqpt. with a defined protocol to use for ASL relay calls without a PC?
                            First question, answer is yes
                            Second question, I have no idea... I have practically no experience with the ASL relay... I've seen ASL relay operators going up and down the stairs to their department upstairs from us, but never gotten a chance to talk to them or actually go upstairs (my badge will only open the outside doors, the stairwell, and the floor that IP Relay is on). Of course training on ASL relay is quite limited to the IP Relay folks, beyond knowing what it is and how to refer people to them if they are interested in using it we have no need to know how it works to do our jobs... training beyond that is a waste of company resources.

Comment

Working...
                            X