This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professionalism in the Classroom

It's midterm time. I just graded the first really big paper of the term. The average was about a C -- a few really good papers, a few really bad ones; most were just, you know, fine.

I expected to get a lot of angry emails after I returned papers, but all was quiet. I spent hours grading those papers -- when it came to feedback, I think it came to at least an hour per student, for about 20 students. I wanted to be thorough and to really show them why they earned their grade -- and how they can improve.

In class yesterday, I asked the students for opinions on how I should grade their next assignment -- did they want a brief "You followed the directions, check" or did they want more detailed feedback? Most of them eagerly said they wanted detailed feedback. Great!

Except one.

In the middle of class, student says, in essence, that my feedback is terrible, and that I said her paper was terrible.

I calmly said if there were questions or concerns, that needed to be discussed in private.

I mean seriously? You're going to take up everyone's time because you are on unhappy with your grade? I can't imagine doing that to one of my professors. I certainly discussed grades with them, but to try and dress them down in the middle of class -- ! I mean, if you were unhappy about your yearly review your manager gave you, would you stand up in the middle of a meeting and be nasty about it?

It's one of those things that shouldn't bother me -- clearly this student doesn't know or realize how to behave professionally. I am confident that my feedback to this student was professional, suggested ways to improve, and also pointed out what went well. If the student wishes to discuss it, that's fine.

But so many students think they pay my salary, therefore they deserve at least a B. . . .

I have people who do that at school all the time.
    Personally I like to keep my grades private and will only share them with friends if they ask, but some people like to not only announce their grade in class, but also debate it with the teacher in class.
    Thankfully my teachers are, for the most part, great and will put a stop to it in a second.

Some people's kids, though. I tell ya...

Comment

Working...
    X