Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old, but not forgotten (first post, long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old, but not forgotten (first post, long)

Hi, everyone. This is my first post, other than a reply, so a bit of background. I've spent the last 25 years in an around CS (and SC's), mainly inbound call centers. I also spent some time with the gov't agency that makes going to the airport so much fun. I currently work in the Comm. center of an airport, in a city that has 2. (Not that one, or that one...the other one).
    Since I work overnight, my current exposure to SC's is very small. So I dug back in time, to when I was working in the call center for a credit card that was tied to a very large airline's Frequent Flyer plan (think the Not-so-Friendly skies). The majority of folks were fine, but once in a while I would get a First Class EW. I took this call almost 20 years ago, but I will never forget it. ( The verbiage may be a little off, due to the passing of time) /end backstory......sorry for the novel)

Dramatis Personae:

Me: Uh..., well, me.

EWM: EW Maximus

Me: *opening yammer*

MWM: I want my credit line increased.

Me: *verifying spiel*

Me: Alright, sir. What kind of an increase were you looking for?
    *Note: EWM had an increase from 5K to 10 2 months earlier, and had a zero balance*

MWM: I have to have at least 5K more, for the holidays. (this was in late November)

Me: I'm sorry, sir , but you just had an increase 2 months ago. We can evaluate your account for another one 6 months from the first one

MWM: WHARRGARBL

Me: Sir, I'm sorry you feel that way. Would you like to speak to a supervisor? (S.O.P was to offer a sup in situations like this)

MWM: No, I don't have the time to fool with this now. Just answer one question. How do you people expect me to give my family a good Christmas with only $10.000?

Me:

For the rest of my days, anytime I hear about an EW, that gentleman will come to mind.

Is it just me, or does that remind me of the Whos prior to Cindy-Lou/grinch convincing the public that Christmas isn't about the gifts? What a douchebag.

Heck, even I wouldn't spend $10,000 for christmas. Closest would be maybe $500 tops.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

One December I made a lot of extra $$$ plus raise, plus bonus. Put it this way, it was a good Christmas. I spent $600 and I felt like a moneybags
      "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."

Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.

Comment

It makes me wonder what EW was trying to give that would cost so much.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth TheHighTinker View Post
          EWM: EW Maximus
          I read that and it made me think of Gladiator.

"My name is Entilement Whorus Maximus.
          Father to a spoilt son,
          Husband to a trophy wife,
          and I will have my credit increase in this life or the next!"
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I can't be the only person who finds it ironic and crushingly sad that How the Grinch Stole Christmas has been read to children annually since 1957, and has been shown on TV for many many years, and still has completely and totally failed in proliferating its core message.

I'ma go sit in the corner and weep now. Thanks a lot.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post

Father to a spoilt son,
              Perfect. lol.

And seriously $10,000?! Thats only enough to buy one Zhu Zhu pet with accessories...of course he needed an increase.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post

Father to a spoilt son,
                Reminds me of Gaelic Storm's "The Night I Punched Russell Crowe".

"The closest I've come to ending up dead,
                Was the night that I punched Russell Crowe,
                'The Gladiator,' in the head."

The funniest bit if from 2:38 to the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xtVipOjTEE
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

People seem to remember the Grinch for all the bounty (the Roast Beast) at the end, rather than the Good Who Feeling at the climax of the story.

Sigh.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    How the Grinch Stole Christmas has been read to children annually since 1957, and has been shown on TV for many many years, and still has completely and totally failed in proliferating its core message.
                    well the cartoon version did it's job but the Jim Carey version caused issues(how much merchandising went hand in hand with that movie?), and that's probably the version the EWs remember.....
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                      Perfect. lol.

And seriously $10,000?! Thats only enough to buy one Zhu Zhu pet with accessories...of course he needed an increase.
                      Zhu Zhu pets are $10,000?!
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

On eBay, it would not surprise me if they are...

After all, this is the place that brought us $2000 XBOX 360's, $500 XBOX *boxes* (empty ones), and the ability to sell one's very living soul.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                          Zhu Zhu pets are $10,000?!
                          LMAO!!!

No, I was being a smartass.

Comment

Unless this guy has a *very* extended family around the world, I really can't see what he'll be buying with more then 10 grand for his family. Maybe pure gold bed sheets?
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              On eBay, it would not surprise me if they are...

After all, this is the place that brought us $2000 XBOX 360's, $500 XBOX *boxes* (empty ones), and the ability to sell one's very living soul.
                              When I saw the story about someone selling an "original Playstation 2 box and receipt" (yep, that was the item description, and it was exactly what the purchaser received - box and receipt, but no Playstation 2), I was sort of bummed that I didn't own one of IBM's second go at personal computers (this happened when the Pentium 2 chip was first coming out, and when the "second go" was discontinued the top-of-the-line was a 486). I could have made a bundle by selling "PS/2 model 30 with 3 games" on eBay.

Note that IBM's second go at personal computers was the Personal System 2, which was frequently abbreviated (by IBM, so it would have been legitimate for me to do so) as PS/2, the unofficial abbreviation for Playstation 2. The model 30 was an 8086/8 system, and a few shareware games would add only the (miniscule) cost of the actual diskettes. Item would have been exactly as described (at the time I didn't own a digital camera, so I wouldn't have been able to include a photograph) - would it have been my fault if people assumed that PS/2 referred to a piece of hardware I'd never heard about (I was never into game consoles) rather than obsolete computer hardware being sold under a description used by its manufacturer?

Quoth TheHighTinker
                              So I dug back in time, to when I was working in the call center for a credit card that was tied to a very large airline's Frequent Flyer plan (think the Not-so-Friendly skies). The majority of folks were fine, but once in a while I would get a First Class EW.
                              Just curious, but are real (i.e. paid for it) First Class EWs any different from "free upgrade from Coach to First Class" EWs, and how do they compare to Business Class EWs, Full Fare Economy EWs, and "super cheap nonrefundable advance purchase economy" EWs?
                              Last edited by wolfie; 12-25-2009, 01:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to put in the second quote
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X