Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are you counting my money!? (Semi-long).

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why I loved working at a gas station owned by a mom and pop.

They may have been overly obliging to EWs and SCs in many ways, but not when it came to change. It was at our discretion what we wanted to accept as far as change....meaning "If you don't think you can get rid of it and you don't want to count it later, then you decide."

Besides, I always shuddered when one of the yokel local regular SCs would show up with a ziplock bag, put like $6 or so in their gas tank, and come in and try to just shove it at me and say that it was $6.

Or even worse, the poverty level people down the street who walked to the store to get a pack of the cheapest smokes (back then, GPCs were like $2.50 a pack) and they'd have just bulging pockets and while I appreciated that they took the time to at least count it out.....it took so long, and it upset me that they probably spent all morning searching the house for loose change to get smokes.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth BossLady View Post
      Am I evil for thinking that when he needed change for the $10 I would have given back his pennies as part of the change ?
      I was thinking the exact same thing!
      -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
      -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Ooh, all the comments about coins and legal tender, and applicable payments.

The FTC has a lot to say about it.

One of the things that is said is that a business has the right to refuse an "unreasonable" amount of coin-based funds. What is deemed as unreasonable may be up for interpretation and flexible.

A business is required to take any form of reasonable cash payment unless there is prominent notification that they require specific payment types. As mentioned, if a retailer declares that they will accept a large quantity of fruit in lieu of cash, they are bound by that statement. If they declare they will only accept the fruit, they can then refuse all cash payments.

And, yes, the government will want to know the value of the goods exchanged, for taxation purposes. I'm not certain how you would charge tax on a banana payment, but I suspect it would be best to always round up to the next whole banana.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Zoom View Post
          32 x 299 = 9568, so they overcharged by 1432 bananas unless they added banana tax.
          Maybe some of them bought more than one TV?

Comment

A client I can't stand called and requested to pick up some prescription dog food for her dog. This particular client always tried to get us to bill her but due to past issues we refuse. And sure enough...she wanted us to bill her. Told her no and when she came in to get the food she had $43 in change. And I made her wait while I sat there and counted them. It wasn't all pennies thank god.

To this day I think she did that to get back at us for not billing her. But another part of me thinks I'm giving her too much credit.

Comment

Quoth Anthony K. S. View Post
              Do you think that the government insisted on getting their cut, even on these transactions?

1432 / 9568 . . . That's almost 15%, which seems high for sales tax.

Hmmmm . . .
              Maybe they also bought the extended warrenty.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
              X