This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    Small, but hardly astronomical. See my list above. I am sure there are tons of other things that I didn't include in it or just didn't think of.
    Yeah, I think we've different values of "likely."

"Trapped by overweight hooker?" Like she (or he, equal opportunity, after all) would stick around long enough to fall asleep.

I acknowledged death, but again, the odds of him dying the same day his property burns down are very, very small if it's an unrelated incident.

Being Vancouver, I could accept water damage to electronics, though at that time of night, he should have been asleep, and if it'd happened during the day, then arrangements should have been made.

Car accident, the most likely one out of your list. Again though, chances of the timing are very poor indeed. Yes, it's likely that a person will be in a car accident at some point. But we're talking about a person being in an accident on this night of all nights. There's over 500,000 people in Vancouver. If there's even 1,000 traffic accidents a day, he's got a 1 in 500 chance of being in an accident. Now, there's no way that this inflated number of 1,000 is going to be all accidents that injure him to the point where after 5 hours, he'd still be unable to contact anyone. Let's be generous, and say 100 of those result in injuries that incapacitate the people involved. We're down to a 1 in 5,000 chance that he's in an accident serious enough to incapacitate him.

And in case you think I'm lowballing this, in 1997, the entire province of British Columbia had 44,000 injury claims on insurance. And it's gone down since then, meaning the entire province had 120 accidents/day claimed as injuries then.

So yes, I'm still confident in saying "the odds of him being unavailable due to circumstances out of his control are astronomical."
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      ...if he'd gone to jail, he should have made his boss his one phone call.
      I forgot to comment on this in my earlier post, though I meant to. Why? Because I have actually DONE that!

One time when I was arrested, I used my one phone call to call the hotel I worked at to let them know I probably would not be in the next day. While the manager who answered appreciated the heads up, he was rather thrown that I would use my phone call for that.

Shockingly, I didn't get too much grief about that at work when I did return. And yes, I did have a job to return to.

Yeah, I think we've different values of "likely."

So yes, I'm still confident in saying "the odds of him being unavailable due to circumstances out of his control are astronomical."
      I was playing Devil's Advocate, and merely offering possibilities. Though I don't think the odds are as astronomical as you do. I merely offered some possibilities. There are countless more. As I said, unlikely, possibly even very unlikely, but astronomical? I think we shall have to disagree on that one.

"Trapped by overweight hooker?" Like she (or he, equal opportunity, after all) would stick around long enough to fall asleep.
      That was put in merely for humor. Sure, it's a possibility, but not one I seriously considered. Was there merely to make you laugh. Apparently it failed in that endeavor.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Small, but hardly astronomical. See my list above. I am sure there are tons of other things that I didn't include in it or just didn't think of.
        I think I vote for the 'STOOOOOOOPID' excuse.

I once worked for a 24/7 networking company whose database group apparently decided they didn't want to be bothered in the middle of the night for outages. So every single last one of them turned off their pagers at night.

Which worked fine, until, y'know, there was an actual OUTAGE. The down side, I had to fix it for them... The up side? I told their manager's manager and he... 'fixed them'.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post

As for manager guy he'd best hope it was some sort of hostage situation. But it was just such a shut out. I mean no one answered at his residence and the answering machine clearly defined a female compatriot capable of alerting me to any circumstances if he did not. The possibility of there being absolutely no way to give me a heads up or at the very least an "I'm incapacitated, here call my boss if something happens".
          When mrDrone rolled my car, the local state cop came to the house [he rolled it about 2 miles from the house and the statie is a neighbor] and I was whisked off to the emergency room within 5 minutes of the accident, and in the ER there is no using cell phones. His phone was under the car, and I have no idea what his supervisors number happens to be. When he is not going to work, he uses his cell phone to cal his supervisor.

You can not always assume that someone will remember to call a boss if the accident is dire enough.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
            On an unrelated subject, I saw a guy at Wal Mart the other day wearing a shirt that had a picture of a headset and said "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
            That reminded me of this song.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

You know, all this talk of numbers and cell phones, and the like, it reminds me that people still need to carry phone books, even though they have all the numbers they could ever need in their phones.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Indica View Post
                I think I vote for the 'STOOOOOOOPID' excuse.
                Oh, I agree that that is the smart money favorite.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                That reminded me of this song.
                Holy shit! I can't decide if that song is better for me or my friend Frank. Probably both of us.

You might say that ego is hardly a problem for either one of us.

One thing I have been known to say at work, fairly often, is "Ya know, it's hard work being this damn good!"

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

...Management fail..... Just, so much fail there.
                  "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                  -Red

Comment

Where in the world do you work, the Twilight Zone?

Comment

Quoth Lots42 View Post
                      Where in the world do you work, the Twilight Zone?
                      No, that might actually be entertaining. -.-

Comment

Wow...some of you guys are way over thinking this stuff.
                        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I agree with the stupid part... the most I can come up with is that he went on vacation and forgot he was on call? But again, I doubt it.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                            Wow...some of you guys are way over thinking this stuff.
                            Awww, but it's fun!
                            Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Working...
                            X