This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But CHILDREN don't have ID!

I've finally made my way out of call centres and have a new job selling super cheap liquor - I never thought I'd say this, but I'm really enjoying myself. The job is clear, I know what to do as everything is outlined and our manager always has our back when we're dealing with screwy customers.

On the other hand, there will always be SC's - and yesterday I got two heavily done up trolls who looked under 25 carrying bottles of rainbow coloured lolly water and an older looking guy with a bottle of wine with them. We have been told that if someone looks under 25 and is buying alcohol for themselves OR if someone who looks older than 25 is buying but has someone underage with them and you think or are told that the alcohol is for underage consumption, then ID needs to be shown. By all members coming through the line.

So I calmly ask for ID from all three of them. Immediately the two trolls start exhibiting VERY childlike behaviour, hands on their hips and head to the side and whinging 'But WHHHYYYYYYY?' Yes. Because acting like a child is going to convince me otherwise.

In total I explained the law to the two trolls five times. Older guy was fine, simply smiled, shrugged and handed me his ID. The other two finally pulled out their ID's but in the meantime:

Troll 1: But what if he (the guy) was buying for himself?
    Me: That would depend on the situation. It's not the case today. I still have to check your ID.
    Troll 2: What if we were his CHILDREN???
    Me: (Thinking, Come on, seriously? Once again, that's a different situation; I'll still need to check your ID.
    Troll 1: But CHILDREN don't have ID?!!!

Sigh - so much stupid in the world. All this while I was trying to read their ID's. I felt like asking them to shut the f*ck up!

Still better than call centres though

I get that one alot when asking from groups of people for their IDS

"So what I was with kid son, would you card him too!?"

Its gotting to the point where I just say yes now. This in turn makes them remark that I'm stupid.

"Not as stupid as thinking that you would have a 21 year old son at 25" is my latest retort.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I'm sure I'll regret this, but...

Exactly what kind of liquor is supposed to, in theory, be in the rainbow-colored bottles?

And was the wine Mad Dog / Boone's / Thunderbird, or was it actually something that was not re-bottled industrial waste?

SirWired

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
        Exactly what kind of liquor is supposed to, in theory, be in the rainbow-colored bottles?
        There are some brigh-colored liquers and stuff out there. Or maybe wine-coolers or something?
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'll never understand why people make such a big deal about showing ID. It takes all of 2 seconds. Less if you get it out while getting your money ready (though I'm the type that gets my money or card about BEFORE I reach the front of the line).
          "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
            I'll never understand why people make such a big deal about showing ID. It takes all of 2 seconds. Less if you get it out while getting your money ready (though I'm the type that gets my money or card about BEFORE I reach the front of the line).
            Seriously. All it does is make you look immature and suspicious.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
              Some wineries, like Luna di Luna, sell wines in colorful bottles. Looking through a few in my kitchen...their Sangiovese/Merlot is in a purple bottle, the Pink Merlot in a pink one, the Merlot/Cabernet in a red bottle, while the Chardonnay/Pinot Grigio comes in a clear blue one.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We had this in spades about 6 months ago. Store policy changed from carding anyone who looked under 21, to anyone looking under 25. This was being seriously pushed my the top brass. We're talking press statements, test purchases, upper management being told to report any violations they encounter while off duty the whole business.

We had 3 lads come through a checkout lane. They looked like students on holiday. The first 2 were black and third one white. All had alcohol. CO asked them all for ID, only the third kid had any. He said he'd buy it all, so of course the CO had to refuse and explain why.

Of course before she could explain the NEXT customer in line threw the biggest bitch fit you've seen in your life. She started shouting, no make that SCREAMING at the CO about how racist she was. DEMANDED to speak to a manager RIGHT NOW.

Our deputy manager was in charge that day so he had the pleasure. She carried on ranting and raving about how racist everyone at the shop was. AT THE TOP OF HER VOICE. DM finally got a chance to speak and explained the laws and our policies.

Then sweet karma pays a call.

Bitch: "So you're telling me it's illegal to buy alcohol for an under 18?"
                DM: "Yes"
                B: "So when I'm in with my 17 y.o son and he puts his cans of stella in my trolley I can't buy it."
                DM: "That's right."
                B: "But I do it all the time."
                DM: "Not any more you don't." And he turns away.
                B: "I'M NOT FINISHED TALKING TO YOU!"
                DM: "Well I'm finished talking to you. You've just admitted to all these people that you've been supplying alcohol to a minor. That, along with the rest of your behaviour is simply not acceptable in this store. I suggest you take your shopping and leave."

The only thing missing was a cloak, so he could swirl it dramatically as he left.

Comment

Children without ID? Pffft. It's amazing how many adults don't have ID.
                  -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                  -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

I'm slightly confused on the carding thing...

I've been told I look alot older then I do and other times alot younger then I do. Yesterday I went to the liquor store for my parents to pick up 2 cases of wine for them, and wasn't even carded, though I had it out and ready with my debit card incase they asked.
                    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I don't know Sarlon, I could have sworn you were in your mid 20s. How old are you really?

I get carded all the time at the grocery store (ours sells hard liquor, yay!). I used to work at the same store, several years back. Most the people working there still remember me and still card me. I thank them every time they do because I know they get whiny little twats all the time. They're good people, they're just doing their job.
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

>.>

I'll be 25 in 6 weeks.

and if you believe that I've got some ocean front property in arizona for sale.
                        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I'm nearly 30 and I still get carded. I don't mind even though I am well over drinking age. I realize these places have these rules for a reason. I've seen 30 year olds that looked like 18 year olds and 20 year olds that looked like 30 year olds. Some people you just can't figure out who old they are by looking, hence, an ID is needed.
                          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

When I looked younger, I never minded getting carded; people would say you look so young for your age

Now that I am older, I still don't mind getting carded, as it lets me pretend I look much younger than my age
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I just turned legal age to drink last month and bought a glass of wine for myself with dinner the other night, first time I've actually paid for my alcohol and I didn't get carded, even though I'd gotten my card out and had it ready. I guess they assumed that because I had it out already I must be legal so they didn't bother to check.
                              Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X