This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity: The Good, the Okay, and the Ugly

Hey there. As you know, I work for Texas' biggest three-letter grocery store chain, and we're doing our usual Souper Bowl of Caring fundraiser for the Capital Area Food Bank. We have ready-made bags of food and we also accept cash donations for more than 40,000 people in Central Texas alone who fight hunger every day.

Now, my customers, I love you. Most of you. I really do. If you can't donate, just say no, and I won't press you about it. Here are some answers I've received:

The Good

"Hi! Would you like to donate to the Food Bank today?"
    "Sure! It's the least I can do for the community!"

"Hi! Would you like to donate for the food bank today?"
    "Sure. If I'm buying cigarettes, I can afford to buy food for the hungry."

The Okay

"Hi! Would you like to donate to the Food Bank today?"
    "Oh, I already did yesterday, but thank you!"

"Hi! Would you like to donate to the food bank today?"
    "No, thank you. But I'll be here later in the week."

The Ugly

"NO! I can barely afford to pay for my own shit! (rant, bitch)

"Is it going to Haiti?"
    "No, but we have separate donations for Haiti relief."
    "I'll buy for the food bank, but I'll be damned if Haiti's getting any of my money."

Seriously, people. You don't have to donate, just be nice about it.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
    Now appearing in comic form!

My company is currently pushing the Haiti donation thing. I won't be participating since I feel we need to take care of our community first. I already participate for the RIF program (Reading is Fundamental).

It sucks that we have to pester our guests this way but it's corporate's decision. What are you to do?

(I miss shopping at HEB by the way! Best deals EVAR!)
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      (I miss shopping at HEB by the way! Best deals EVAR!)
      Indeed! My roommate and I bought 7 half-gallons of Bluebell when it was on sale.

Power went out the next day and all that deliciousness melted.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
        Indeed! My roommate and I bought 7 half-gallons of Bluebell when it was on sale.
        Bluebell...I had it when I lived in Texas...I live in SoCal now...no-one's heard of it...Bluebell....

(the same can be said for Sonic, CiCi's Pizza, and REAL barbecue. Siiiiiiiiiigh)
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I wish people would just say no thank you and leave it at that. In the same respect, I wish some cashiers would simply take my "No thank you" and leave me alone. Donating is a very personal thing and I have specific causes/occasions when I choose to donate. It doesn't matter if it's the food bank, Haiti or Girl Scout cookies (thin mints, mmmm), wheedling after me how I'm a bad person for not donating will just make me mad. Sorry to vent, I've seen some suck on both sides of the counter this season.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
            Bluebell...I had it when I lived in Texas...I live in SoCal now...no-one's heard of it...Bluebell....

(the same can be said for Sonic, CiCi's Pizza, and REAL barbecue. Siiiiiiiiiigh)
            Well..being from orange county I'll agree with this! Never heard of Bluebell. What is it?

As for Cici's, never heard of it until I came to this site and sonic..well I heard of it growing up! Those commercials are everywhere! There just wasn't one 20 miles near me! Now I live half a mile from one and yum!

Back to the original post, I never understand why people get so upset about being asked for donations. As stated, a simple "No." is required! We don't really care about your reasons why or what you think about the charity! Bummer that you can't/don't want to help out but oh well!
            Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post
              Well..being from orange county I'll agree with this! Never heard of Bluebell. What is it?
              /off topic
              It's a fairly good quality brand of ice cream. I'd always assumed it was nation wide, but I guess not. It's my second favorite right behind Bryers brand.

/on topic
              I don't know what I would do if someone reacted like that. I don't think I'd be able to get over my shock at the bluntness. Something tells me that that would only be an invitation for an SC to rant on about their reasoning.

Comment

We have signs by each registers about donating to Haiti. It's in a spot where people can see it. Most of the people who've taken time to read it have donated. I don't believe in beating people over the head to donate to any cause. As for wanting to beat them over the head for other reasons that's a different story.
                I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Bronzebow View Post
                  /off topic
                  It's a fairly good quality brand of ice cream. I'd always assumed it was nation wide, but I guess not. It's my second favorite right behind Bryers brand.
                  Unfortunately not...only in certain states in the south...it's mostly Texas, but a few nearby states carry it too. I can't get it here in Utah...along with mexican food with flavor, barbeque (you'd be surprised the looks you get when buying lighter fluid in january with a foot of snow on the ground. :-P).

As for donating, sheesh. I try to donate...there's been a few months when all I can afford is bread, milk, and ramen, and get asked to donate. A quick "no, thanks" is all that's necessary. :-/
                  Coworker: Distro of choice?
                  Me: Gentoo.
                  Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Oh, Joi, as a transplanted Texan in SCal, I feel your pain keenly. I miss Braham's. (I am not sure I spelled that right.)

I can understand people not wishing to donate, but I always hope those who are mean about it end up needing those services some day. Does that make me evil?
                    "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

"I'll buy for the food bank, but I'll be damned if Haiti's getting any of my money."

Really??? Yeah, I guess it's their own damn fault for living on ground that cracked open one day and killed thousands of people. Hard to believe people actually have that kind of attitude.
                      It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                      -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

I haven't heard any really bad replies to a request for donations; however, I did have a job once that made me hate asking. I had forgotten to ask a customer and the manager immediately chewed me out and told me that I absolutely needed to ask, no exceptions. Later I heard her tell someone that the store manager with the largest dollar amount at the end would win a $1000 shopping spree from the company. Since this particular lady was already wealthy, the greed did not sit well with me, and I avoided checking people out until it was over. I also did my shopping and donating at another store nearby.

Comment

I'm sure I've told my own "jackass-in-refusing" story, but meh, it's a good one.

We were selling pins for breast cancer research funding, and I asked this one guy in his mid-20s if he'd like to buy one. They were about $3, and metal with enamel, so they were fairly nice, too. He said "No, I'm a guy, so I can't get breast cancer."

Well, his girlfriend didn't take kindly to that, slugged him in the arm, and as they walked away, seemed to be very quietly reading him the riot act. Ignoramus deserved it for that dumbass comment.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                            I'm sure I've told my own "jackass-in-refusing" story, but meh, it's a good one.

We were selling pins for breast cancer research funding, and I asked this one guy in his mid-20s if he'd like to buy one. They were about $3, and metal with enamel, so they were fairly nice, too. He said "No, I'm a guy, so I can't get breast cancer."

Well, his girlfriend didn't take kindly to that, slugged him in the arm, and as they walked away, seemed to be very quietly reading him the riot act. Ignoramus deserved it for that dumbass comment.
                            that was a rather dumbass comment, especially since guys CAN get breast cancer.
                            Coworker: Distro of choice?
                            Me: Gentoo.
                            Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              Rod Roddy says hi from that great game show in the sky.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X