This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You CAN'T or you WON'T????

Yesterday our still-green electronics guy came to me for help with a customer in furniture. The woman in question wanted a desk delivered and assembled. We can do that, but it would NOT be cheap. While we charge only $7.99 to assemble chairs, for liability reasons we can't assemble any other furniture for a customer (personally, I don't really see how it's any less a liability to assemble a chair than a desk or a bookcase or whatever, but that's the reason). For that we have a contract with a third-party assembly service. You call the number, set up an appointment, they come to your house to build your items and charge you directly. Presumably my company then receives a kickback for recommending the service. Trouble is, there's a minimum trip charge of $45 (actually, it might be more than that, but the cheapest price per piece is $45).

And the desk she was looking at was only $100 to begin with, on sale for $60. In short, not worth it (the assembly service is really intended for the larger more sophisticated - and much more expensive- furniture collections).

I explained all of this to the customer and gave her the information on the assembly service, but honestly suggested that it'd be more worth her while to have a family member or friend help build it for her if she couldn't do it herself.

Cue a brief argument over the cost, to which I can only reply that that is what the THIRD-PARTY company charges and that I have no influence whatsoever over that.

SC: Well can I buy the display then?

Me: I'm sorry, but I can't sell the display.

SC: Why not?!

Me: Because this is an active item that we are continuing to carry. If it were clearance I'd be more than happy to sell you the display, but since we're still carrying this, we'd have to have someone come in to build another at our expense, so we aren't allowed to sell the display.

SC: So in other words, it's not that you CAN'T but that you WON'T.

Me: Actually, I can't because it's something the company won't allow.

SC: You can, but you won't. You'd rather not make the sale.

Me:

Me: I can't sell the display. If you'd like to take it up with the manager, he's up at the service desk. Now, is there anything else I can help you with?

SC: No.

Me: OK

And I just walked away. She left without buying anything. This is the first time I've encountered this "do what I want or you'll lose the sale" attitude since before I was transferred out of electronics. I haven't missed it......
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post

SC: So in other words, it's not that you CAN'T but that you WON'T.
    "Yeah, pretty much."

Quoth Dave1982
    SC: You can, but you won't. You'd rather not make the sale.
    "Yeah, pretty much."
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

"I'd rather not get fired, yes..."

Comment

But she was just following the rules that the news always gives for how to bargain. And you weren't following the proper procedure then! You don't care enough about your company to risk your job so that there can be a sale.

Did I get the SC logic right?

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          SC: it's not that you CAN'T but that you WON'T.
          You could always tell them they are right. You won't because you can't and watch their SC brain lock up.
          Manipulating others since 1979.

Not all who wander are lost. J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
            ...or friend help build it for her if she couldn't do it herself.
            Your only mistake was assuming the SC had friends.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

This reminds of many things form my work in oen of the UKs largest charities. i do love when people debate prices set by outcourced firms, the best for us is delivery. All drivers are self employed hence tell us the minimum price they will do an area for. And customers really don't like it!

Comment

Working...
              X