Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its the law. Accept it. Embrace it dumbass or get the hell out!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
    <snip>

As silly as it might be to card for it, what's the point in arguing? I get out my license before I get to the casher, give it to them with the little card for the product I want, they scan it, I sign for it (most places use the credit/debit card machine for that, too) and I go on my merry way. I'm not making meth, I buy one box every few months, probably, so what do I care who knows I'm buying it?
    It's not silly to card for it. The issue isn't the age of the buyer, it's the amount that's purchased. Restricting sales of pseudoephedrine has greatly reduced the number of home labs in the US: labs that are highly toxic and explosive.
    Last edited by Broomjockey; 02-08-2010, 11:29 PM. Reason: snippy
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I once had to ID a customer who was buying TEASPOONS. Oh, the dangers of spoons! You have to be 18 to buy them or doom will ensue!

Luckily the customer saw the funny side and produced his driving licience.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth C-130 View Post
        "If you look under 21 and buying any of the following: Knives. aerosols, alcohol products and paracetamal products we will ask for ID. Its the law!"
        Why do you card for APAP (paracetamal)?
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Click here for an answer.

A lot of teenage suicides pick paracetamol. This is a very dangerous drug that will either result in a slow and agonising death, or for the victim to survive but end up with permanent damage to their health. In such a case, the parent might decide to sue the store where their son/daughter bought the paracetamol. However, with this rule (and also the one where no-one can buy more than two packets at a time), the store is protected from legal action. IANAL but just applying logic; if anyone is a lawyer feel free to correct me.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
            Maybe the cop has been watching too much TV. It isn't uncommon to have high school students played by actors of that age.
            And then there's those of us who are that age and look like teenagers anyhow. If I looked exactly my age they'd stop carding me next year. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to be carded for the next 10-15 years. No, it's not their fault, and I'm more than willing to provide ID, but I would actually have a hard time passing for a high school student if you took a photo - I look rather young. I don't look like one if you see me in person, because I don't move like one, but some of us are cursed with looking young. I don't mind being carded by the way, as long as it's a "card everyone" policy. It's the looking young that ticks me (and presumably most others) off.
            Last edited by Magpie; 02-09-2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
              A lot of teenage suicides pick paracetamol. This is a very dangerous drug that will either result in a slow and agonising death, or for the victim to survive but end up with permanent damage to their health.
              Oh, I know what too much APAP can do. I'm a pharmacy tech and had some pharmacology. Hepatoxicity and failure. And for some reason, kids here just don't seem to use that a suicide vehicle.

There just isn't any age restriction whatsoever in the US for APAP or ASA. There have been warnings come out lately because people will take an OTC cold med with APAP in it and then they will take more APAP on top of that. Before you know it, they've got over the 4g daily limit. And, naturally, there's been some people turn up with liver damage or needing a new liver.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                I once had to ID a customer who was buying TEASPOONS. Oh, the dangers of spoons! You have to be 18 to buy them or doom will ensue!
                That reminds me! At the wholesale club, they recently updated the registers' software so that it requests us to card the customers if they're purchasing alcohol or cigarettes.

HOWEVER. There's one thing I find most amusing. We started selling these canvas wine totes. Simple little tote bags that are designed to carry up to six bottles of wine, with cloth dividers built into it. The registers ask us to card anyone purchasing one. A TOTE BAG. With no alcohol in it at all.

But the little liquor-filled chocolates? Which have like a drop or two of Jack Daniels and other such things in them? No ID required.

Someone at home office got their priorities mixed up.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  The only thing I ever had to card for was the occasional Playboy or Penthouse. On the rare occasions that I actually sold one, it was almost always to someone who was clearly over 18 (read: older men that I don't want to think to much about reading Playboy...)
                  My buddy and I have a thing where we exchange Playboy/Penthouse at important birthdays/graduations, etc.

First time I got one I was 18 and like 4 days (going to his graduation party) girl at the Borders just asked "You are 18 right?" I said I was so she sold it to me. I was a tad shocked she didn't card me.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    But the little liquor-filled chocolates? Which have like a drop or two of Jack Daniels and other such things in them? No ID required.

Someone at home office got their priorities mixed up.
                    This actually makes more sense than you'd think, due to how those systems are usually set up. Usually there's associated departments, metatags, and that sort of thing. The chocolates would be under confectionaries, candy, etc. The tote bags would be under "alcohol," since that's what they're for. So, the system doesn't care what it actually is, just that it's got the "alcohol" tag, which the system knows requires ID. It's set up like that to make it easier when new product is put in to the system, or if laws about IDing change.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Once I got carded for trying to buy an R rated movie. I was 19 or 20 at the time, and you only have to be 17 to buy them. I had my ID, and handed it over to the cashier. She looked at it, looked at me suspiciously and refused to accept my ID, even though it was valid, and not fake.

My boyfriend was able to purchase the movie with no hassle.

Comment

Working...
                      X