This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probable Scam Averted

This one might get a bit confusing, but here goes.

The other night, my coworker, who is relatively new, ended up dealing with a customer that was confusing her, probably on purpose. She asked me to take over, since she was getting flustered. So I do, and dive headfirst into dealing with the Suck. (Note that I am not a manager, but I've been there a LONG time.) To fully recreate the conversation would confuse things even more, so I'll try to summarize.

This week, we are having a buy one, get one for 1 cent sale on some of the vitamins. The SC had a rain check for buy one, get one *free.* She had been trying to argue with my coworker that she should be able to get BOTH sales, in other words, she should be able to get BOTH for a penny. NOT going to happen. No way, no how, nu-UH.

Then she wants them at buy one get one free, BUT she's already paid for "one," back when the rain check was written, in December. "So I have to pay $15 for a $10 item?!" She attempts to show me a receipt for the one she paid for, but what's this? The receipt was for DOG FOOD.

After I point that out, she attempts to accuse my coworker of stealing her original receipt. Uh, no. She finally finds it in her bag. I check, and yes, she did pay full price, back at the pharmacy. Our policy is normally, if it's a BOGO and we only have one item left, to ring up the one item at HALF price, then write the rain check for the FULL sale. So her rain check was written correctly, but she should have gotten the original vitamins for $5.

Meanwhile, she's still throwing a fit over the "$15." I pointed out to her that she was paying $15 for THREE items, her original, and the two in her current order. She would have none of that, demanding that we give her the vitamins for free. NO. BAD SC. (No, I didn't say that, I somehow remained polite.) She also continued complaining about the buy one, get one for a 1 cent sale.

So, I finally hit on a solution, and put it into action, explaining *every* step in detail so she couldn't complain that I'd told her nothing. I finished the current purchase, ringing up both vitamins she had with her at the buy one, get one for 1 cent sale, making sure to TELL her that I was taking off the penny as a coupon, so it was effectively buy one, get one free. I then placed ONE of the two vitamins in her bag, and refunded the December purchase. Effectively, she now owned TWO sets of vitamins, one at home that had been refunded (and thus was free), and one in her bag, that she'd paid for.

Since her receipt was over 3 months old (December 4th, expired February 4th) I got the manager to authorize her refund in cash (how she paid.) The computer had wanted me to give her store credit because of the age of the receipt.

... I'm still waiting to hear if she's come back in yet to DEMAND her third set of vitamins. She's going to get two things if that happens, since I already told management the full story. Jack and Squat.

If it had been me, I'd have taken the buy one, get one for a penny sale and saved the rain check! But then, I'm honest. Our rain checks never expire, after all.

Yeah, I've not been in a mood to give in to probable scammers lately. I'm getting a growth on my eyelid removed this week, and the comments customers have been making about it have NOT helped. ("Did someone burn you with a cigarette?" -.-)

I'd have done the easy thing and told her that the raincheck had to be done on it's own transaction. No confusion there. Get the raincheck out of the way, then do another transaction for the buy one, get one for a penny; if I'm reading you correctly there.
    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Why couldn't she have just taken the one bottle of vitamins free? Or was that because she had only paid for 50% of the BOGO to begin with? Guess I'm not understanding the original sale and raincheck. Of course, I haven't ever done a raincheck, so that is probably where my confusion is coming from.
      Make a list of important things to do today.
      At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
      Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Inventory/loss prevention reasons. We *have* to scan every item, and if I had rung it up and then put in a store coupon to make it "free," I could be fired. A transaction like that raises a HUGE red flag at corporate.

Also, Mystic, the issue was that she wanted both sales to be combined for the exact same two items, she didn't want *2 sets* of vitamins, she originally wanted to buy one for a penny, and get the second one free, and keep the third bottle that she had at home.
        Last edited by Dragon_Dreamer; 02-16-2010, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Quoth Dragon_Dreamer View Post
          Inventory/loss prevention reasons.
          Gotcha, that makes sense now.

Definitely sucky customer. Give me something free because half off isn't good enough.
          Last edited by r2cagle; 02-16-2010, 11:27 PM.
          Make a list of important things to do today.
          At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
          Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Wow, what a scrounge lizard.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

"scrounge lizard"

What a wonderfully descriptive term. I'll have to remember that one
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Dragon_Dreamer View Post
                Also, Mystic, the issue was that she wanted both sales to be combined for the exact same two items, she didn't want *2 sets* of vitamins, she originally wanted to buy one for a penny, and get the second one free, and keep the third bottle that she had at home.
                Hah, well that makes much more sense to me now. A definite scrounge lizard.
                Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Am I correct in assuming that a scrounge lizard's morals are several steps below those of a lot lizard? Anyone involved in trucking should recognize the meaning of the second one.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X