X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth tintaglia View Post
    sorry, back to dead fish

I do hate it when you know theres been a fatality in a tank, but I prefer not to remove it when theres kids around, but of course the parents loudly yell and point it out to their children.
    Sometimes it's just too busy to get it out' so you have 10 people telling you about the same fish, (and I'm at the till, with a queue right up the shop, S is on lunch I am on my own, I don't really think any one will thank me if I take the fish out now, which means another 10 people are going to tell me about a dead fish) I usually thank them for telling me and I'll get it when I can, And a lot of people will wait to make sure I will take it out (and often keep reminding me grrr)

For a long time our fish have not been for sale, so we had signs on all the tanks, and people would still ask to buy them, and we'd tell them as they were sick, we couldn't sell them, and they would say 'so I can buy one and get one free instead then?' or 'I know about fish, I'll take it anyway, and I bet I can cure it'
    err no, they are not for sale at all.

grr people

We watch them at the tanks, see them reading the sign, and wait, cos we know they are going to try to buy anyway

ps while they have been sick, we have had people trying to buy, and when told no, they point out a dead one. Any one wanting to buy fish KNOWS not to buy one if they see a dead or sick fish in the tank.
    Finally, someone who understands so of the things a pet retailer has to deal with. Thanks tintaglia.

Comment

No offense, but I doubt anyone who tells you that you have a dead fish is purposely trying to be an SC. I've done that, and I do it for no other reason than to be helpful.
      Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.

Comment

I cannot believe no one has said it already.

Your next reply to someone pointing out the dead fish should be " He's not dead! he's resting!"

But you will need the british accent to pull it off.
        Last edited by amphrite; 12-20-2006, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Quoth Mildew View Post
          No offense, but I doubt anyone who tells you that you have a dead fish is purposely trying to be an SC. I've done that, and I do it for no other reason than to be helpful.
          None taken, but the point I and tintaglia were trying to get across is, times that by 10 times and it gets a bit much when your busy with customers.
          Just when you go into a shop next time just think that the sales staff are there all day. They should get to it in due time. If its one or two fish in the whole store and please do tell them if they are not busy.
          They usally know what is going on in their store.
          The thing that annoys pet staff is when people yell out "oh there's a dead fish" in a tone that is down on the store, while other people are trying to enjoy the store.
          But the main subject of this thread is "Customers are sometimes like having lots of supervisors telling you what you should be doing".
          When I go into a any store I would only mention something to the staff if it was dangerous, as I know staff have their duties set for the day and will get to it during their shift.

Comment

Tell me if what I do is wrong:

If I see a dead fish I find the nearest employee and ask them to tell the person in charge of the fish tanks that one of the fish in the (insert fish type here) tank has died.
            Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.

Comment

CUSTOMER: "One of your fish is dead."
              JESTER: "FRANK! Your lunch is ready."

And that's why I am serving people drinks and NOT helping them with their pet needs.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                I loved this:
                SC: There's dead fish.
                Your reply: Do you want it?
                My response: Hell yes, easier to take care of, and their death isn't on my conscience now!
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth BusBus View Post
                  I heard that you were having some trouble with dead fish. Did you get that memo?
                  Did you put one of the new cover sheets on it before you sent it?
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I get what your saying...it is freaking annoying. Like when I was working at my last job and there was a light above the cashwrap that strobed, and every single customer mentioned it.

Yep. I know, I work under that strobing light eight hours a day. If you think it bothers you for the 2 minutes you're at the counter, imagine how I feel. And if it wasn't 25 feet up on the ceiling I would fix it. Yes, I've called facilities. No they won't be out to fix it until their regular rounds...in about 6 months...

Comment

In my store I doubt there is ever a time when there aren't several dead fish in each tank. We would do a dead fish count twice a day. Once in the morning and again just before second shift left for the night. Sometimes more often if time permitted it.

The fish are shipped with up to 50 in a small bag with a minimum amount of water. Who knows how long those poor fish are in those bags? They are usually so stressed during shipping that many do not recover. Our fish arrived on Tuesdays and by Tuesday evenings, hundreds would be dead.

These stores really shouldn't be selling fish, birds, hamsters etc. because they are not taken care of properly. There are not enough people working and the environment is not exactly the best for live critters.

Retail Haiku:
                      Depression sets in.
                      The hellhole is calling me ~
                      I don't want to go.

Comment

At the garden centre where I worked, there was as I said in my other post seperate units for pets and fish. However, customers were mostly unable to grasp that fact and would bug each unit indiscriminately. That was annoying due to the fact that I was alone in Pets and there were 3 guys working in Fish; so how did the idiot customers manage to miss 3 people?

In summer, my main annoyance was morons who'd come up to me going "Your rabbits are dead" when they saw the rabbits lying in a pile. All rabbits lie in a pile when it's hot, if it's breathing it's not dead!
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                          At the garden centre where I worked, there was as I said in my other post seperate units for pets and fish. However, customers were mostly unable to grasp that fact and would bug each unit indiscriminately. That was annoying due to the fact that I was alone in Pets and there were 3 guys working in Fish; so how did the idiot customers manage to miss 3 people?

In summer, my main annoyance was morons who'd come up to me going "Your rabbits are dead" when they saw the rabbits lying in a pile. All rabbits lie in a pile when it's hot, if it's breathing it's not dead!
                          We get that all the time I know how you feel.
                          SC, Your siamese fighters are dead, your Axolotl Mexican Salamander are dead, your mouse is dead, your rat is dead, that bird is dead, is there something wrong with that dog or cat.
                          For F#@& sake they do sleep they are a living animals and usually babies, you don't have to bang on the cage or tank and scarce the crap out of them just to see if they are alive or to get them to move just for your own entertainment.
                          SC read a book on some animals and learn something about Pets.
                          Sometimes I would love to see how they would react if their children were sleeping at a childcare center and someone banged on the window just so they would move.

Comment

its not dead its just resting, see it just moved!
                            i can just imagine how some customers i get treat animals with how they treat others

Comment

Quoth petshopboy View Post
                              Sometimes I would love to see how they would react if their children were sleeping at a childcare center and someone banged on the window just so they would move.
                              People do this. My daughter used to be at a nursery that fronted onto the street. They often had to shoo away people who were tapping on the window to wave to the kids (usually doting old ladies).
                              A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                              - Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X