Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh yes - the berations about my limp and my uncle happened in one ranting spiel - in an izakaya (Japanese bar) - I remember her words as they scorched me:

"I f**ken care about you stupid uncle, with kid like you who can't even walk right - no wonder he want to die"

The couple near us were looking at us with WTF looks on their faces. I just walked out and I am not ashamed to say that when I got out of the izakaya - I shed a tear. The couple came out after me to see if I was okay - they saw I wasn't, wasn't at all. They helped calm me down and gave me a ride to the train station to get home.

Comment

Quoth Damien View Post
      "I f**ken care about you stupid uncle, with kid like you who can't even walk right - no wonder he want to die"
      Ok, that right there puts her right over the line and firmly into c-word territory.

It's a shame that that... thing... you walked out on will never understand that she's the common thread in all her dates bailing on her.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Weird, I have a very thick European-like accent, Afrikaans actually.

Relay calls was no problem for me. I did one every 3 to 4 weeks.
        Good Morning Base, 209 is Mobile !

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
          The accent (and accent isn't quite the right word) is really a speech impediment that causes me to draw out words sometimes making it sound like an accent.
          Oh, hell, I didn't even notice that! I'm sitting here thinking "what accent?" Of course, I sometimes sound like I'm from Hobbs, America. (East NM/West TX and sounds like you got dip in your mouth)

Quoth Magpie View Post
          In my experience it's the people with strong accents who have a hard time understanding other accents, because their English just isn't as strong.
          Sometimes it's not the fact that they're ESL speakers. Personally, I have a hell of time understanding some people from New Yawk. Combination of accent and fact that they tend to talk a hell of a lot faster than we do in NM.

Quoth Damien View Post
          The couple near us were looking at us with WTF looks on their faces. I just walked out and I am not ashamed to say that when I got out of the izakaya - I shed a tear. The couple came out after me to see if I was okay - they saw I wasn't, wasn't at all. They helped calm me down and gave me a ride to the train station to get home.
          Did you find out if they had a nice daughter?
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

What accent? You ain't got no accent. Call up EQ and have her have a shorty-conversation with me and THEN you'll hear what an accent sounds like! She drops into Atlanta Southern Drawl any time she talks to me.

But then Mom and Mimi says I sound like an old timey Floridian.

I asked Mom and she said most people can't hear their own accents. *Pokes Smiley's ears* You must have some super-duper hearing!
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Damien View Post

I just walked out...
              Please tell me that that was your LAST date with that raging harridan cunt beast. Because I would have trouble believing that any self-respecting person would ever subject themselves to a followup of THAT.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Everybody has an accent of some sort. I have a "Hollywood" accent, myself. Makes sense, as I've always lived in southern California.

But some words I say that I picked up from my mom have a notable "down east" accent to them. She picked it up from her mother, who grew up primarily in the Boston area.

And when I get tired, I pick up a notable Southern drawl. No idea where that comes from as nobody I've ever lived around had one. I also pick up a stutter. *shrug*

The worst, however, is if I'm around someone with an accent. I have a tendancy to start mimicing them for no discernible reason. One co-worker is from Wales, and when she talks to her family a lot, her accent gets really strong, and then I start sounding like her. Another time, I answered the phone for one job and the guy who called was from western Texas. I managed to emulate his accent so well after just one sentence that he insisted that I must have come from around his home town somewhere. He wouldn't believe I'd never even been to Texas.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Please tell me that that was your LAST date with that raging harridan cunt beast. Because I would have trouble believing that any self-respecting person would ever subject themselves to a followup of THAT.
                  Yup, it was the last time I ever saw her - when i got home, I blocked her email (filtered to trash), deleted and blocked her from my facebook.

Comment

I often pick up accents when I visit somewhere - especially if I'm already familiar with it. I can do a passable Yorkshire, Geordie, Scots, Scouse, Lancashire... or Finnish, if I have time to think about it.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      I have a tendancy to start mimicing them for no discernible reason.
                      I have the ability to mimic accents I hear, though I rarely do it unintentionally. Interestingly, I seem to be unable to do a British accent, even though I hear it quite often, and was in fact engaged to a Brit for about a year.

I can slip into a Boston accent or Irish brogue almost any time I want, without even hearing them. And when I get drunk, my slight Western drawl comes out.

Yes, I confuse people. It's my purpose.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

I once dated a very tall man with a limp (and a stutter). He was such a wonderful dancer....and kisser. /semi-longing sigh
                        ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          The worst, however, is if I'm around someone with an accent. I have a tendancy to start mimicing them for no discernible reason.
                          Oh, jeez, I do this, too. And sometimes it will last for a few days. Should have heard me after we got back from Scotland last summer.

Do you pick them up from movies, too?
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                            Oh, jeez, I do this, too. And sometimes it will last for a few days. Should have heard me after we got back from Scotland last summer.

Do you pick them up from movies, too?
                            Movies, TV shows, songs, commercials, friends, random people on the bus, characters in stories I'm writing who I only ever hear in my head.... and, yes, all of that has happened.

Oddly enough, when I went to Texas and hung out with some people who were visiting from England, I didn't pick anything up. I suspect it was a matter of too many different accents all in one place.

^-.-^

Comment

I don't have much of an accent, myself. I have heard myself slip into a bit of a drawl on certain words, sometimes, but something my coworkers and family comment on is how well I can imitate accents.

After watching some movie in which a particular kind of accent is prevalent, I can imitate it very well. After "Fargo," I could do the Minnesota/Dakotas accent, don'tcha know. After "The Departed," I had picked up on the accent there, like I was pah'kin' the ca'h in the Hah'vah'd yah'd.

At any rate, I do sometimes have trouble understanding some people who have thick accents, and often have to ask a customer to repeat themselves several times to try and decipher what they've said to me.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X