Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr. Snooty Father of the Year and Social Class (Rather Long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth lobo94 View Post
    An upscale type car. As opposed to a Yugo, if anyone remembers those.
    I use to be able to do insane car stunts in a Yugo. While blindfolded. And Drunk. With hands tied behind my back. I'm just that good of a driver. Even though I never drove before.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
      Pardon my ignorance...what's an MG?
      A classic British sports car. Gets circa 30 mpg of petrol. Ditto oil.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

You sure gave snooty father of the year a good and graceful pwnage!
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
          And a person should be able to do what makes them happy without having other people judge them - not everyone has to have a high paying job, a big house and 3 cars, some people are quite content to live more simply with a lower paying lower stress job
          I wish more people would get that. Sure, I could find a better-paying job, but this one pays enough and I like working there. Not dreading going in to work is worth a lot to me.
          Quoth Hobbs View Post
          Pardon my ignorance...what's an MG?
          *points to the logo protege uses for his avatar*
          It's a British sports car line. Not cheap, and somewhat high maintenance. My aunt had an MG Midget long, long ago. I learned how to drive a stick (and pop a clutch) because of that car.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
            I was told that as a kid, but not in the "if you go to school you'll never work this sort of job." way. I was told that while no job is "beneath you", if you go to school, you'll have more opportunities when the time comes. It annoys me that parents drill that into kids heads that some jobs are menial and below them.
            That has got to be the best way to communicate that point across.

The argument I use at work if I get kids asking me that sort of stuff (usually it's "do you work here all the time?") is "I work and study. And that's important. If you go to university, this is a great job to do while you are studying." And it is!
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I've had to deal with idiots like that, who see me sweeping under shelves or cleaning the bathrooms, and insult me before their kids. Or just plain insult me. Usually I just give them a business card, since I am the author of 5 self-published novels. They look on their face is just . . . beautiful.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                I had someone say something like that to me once. Granted, I was a bit grubby--old clothes, spots of oil and grease etc. But what do you expect when you've been working on a car? The look on his face after he'd followed me out the door...and I jumped into the MG...was awesome
                I wouldn't say that about someone who looks like a Mechanic. Some mechanics do quite well for themselves. Same goes for plumbers, carpenters, etc.

Comment

I hate people like that. I'm in school to become a teacher. I already give private lessons and have enough students to be considered a studio. I still kept the old job cause hey, it was money. I got a couple of comments like that. Actually, one was in front of one of my student's parents. She was next in line when a woman made a comment to her son. My parent just turned to her and listed various successes I had had and basically told her to f off. I gave her one lesson half off cause that made my day ^^

Comment

Not to mention, in the old days some of the dirtiest jobs were quite highly paid by comparison. Locomotive driver or fireman, for example.

Comment

Totally agree with all that's been said! Very often these so-called 'menial' jobs are the kind that nobody notices until they not being done. Take cleaners for example, they get looked down on a lot because 'anyone can do that' (I worked as a hotel cleaner for a year and if you're doing it properly it's hard work!). Yet how many people, if they walked into a hotel room and found it wasn't clean, would stay in it? How important is cleaning in somewhere like a hospital?
                      I've worked at a huge insurance company, I've done the MI support for the whole of their healthcare arm, I'm currently training for my TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). I sit at a register at the moment because it pays the bills and fits in with my son's school hours.
                      People are too quick to assume that just because that's what someone is doing now, that's all they've ever done, or are capable of doing.
                      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Working...
                      X