Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the day of my graduation I ordered a mimosa for breakfast (instead of straight champagne)

everytime Ive tried to order it in a bar ive gotten blank stares (so I immediately change it to a vodka and oj) because, im in a bar, im there for the....atmoshphere....yeah thats it... no really im there to drink but not to pass out drunk I promise!

the best shooter ive ever had was a "broken down gold cart" and ive never found one of them since either....sigh, I dont even remember what was in it, I had just seen marcus nusland and my friend handed to me and said "drink".... ahhh being 21...the memories

edit... golf card, not gold.... I need to lay of the raspberry juice, yes thats it raspberry juice... I hate madonna...*walks off mumbling about salt crystals on her glass*

big grains of salt! I'll put strictnine in the gucamole!

edit 2: damnt it I meant golf cart!
    Last edited by Kiwi; 01-31-2007, 06:44 AM. Reason: im just a little tipsy
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
      The weirdest drink request I had was not weird because we couldn't make it or didn't have the ingredients, but weird because it was....well....the lady order dry vermouth on the rocks.

Dry vermouth is an ingredient in martini's - depending on the person - I used to make martinis by pouring a small amount of dry vermouth in the martini glass, spinning the glass around as to allow the vermouth to coat the glass, then I would pour the excess out. Different bartenders do it other ways.

However, to order dry vermouth on the rocks -
      Reminds me of this story
      Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
      TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

The OP reminds me of http://www.customerssuck.com/strip

Mwahahaha!

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
          the best shooter ive ever had was a "broken down gold cart" and ive never found one of them since either....edit 2: damnt it I meant golf cart!
          Equal parts midori and amaretto, with a splash of lime juice.

And Raps, that strip brought a tear to my eye. And while the tarbender looked nothing like me, the bar looked VERY MUCH like the bar I tended at the hotel, before my departure. YOU ROCK!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

I'd always assumed the Bond 'shaken, not stirred' thing was a way of establishing him as sophisticated, but not girly. You know, so manly that he intentionally makes his drinks worse because darnit, he likes them tasting like paint thinner. Plus, there's something unspeakably cool about having some eccentric taste that no one in their right mind would ordinarily prefer. To a certain kind of mind (say, the kind of mind that insisted on having their gin and tonics shaken), the act of Bond ordering a martini that makes the experienced bartenders look at him funny when Bond Knows Something That They Don't is just what they'd wish for themselves.

... But I'm pretty cynical about people, and the ways that smart authors sell characters to them.

Comment

We have this friend who is a bit of a pain in the butt when we go out. He's impecably polite, and very, very good natured. But he's fussy and if it weren't for his nice demeanor, I feel certain he would have been murdered by some waiter or bartender somewhere by now.

We're in a chain steak joint full of saturday night miners and farmers in West Virgina somewhere and he orders a martini. The rest of us were like, "Are you trying to get us beaten up? What the hell's wrong with you?"

To his credit, the bartender made him one. With an olive, even.

Comment

I've never had the slightest desire to visit Florida before, but dammit, Jester, I think I might just have to add to you to my "must see" list of places You're just too cool.
                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                  You're just too cool.
                  Yes. Yes I am.

As for Florida, most if it is quite missable, if you ask me. If I were you, I would pretty much not bother with most of it other than the Tampa area and the Keys. Especially Key West. (And St. Augustine if you are into history.) The rest? Meh.

As for me, well, I am drawing my Florida tour to a close this summer and moving back to the deseert, i.e., Phoenix. You can visit me there, too.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    As for me, well, I am drawing my Florida tour to a close this summer and moving back to the deseert, i.e., Phoenix. You can visit me there, too.
                    Actually, I think I'd prefer that LOL For some reason, going to Florida just seems entirely unattractive to me (I hate humidity, I'm not *really* fond of heat (although my aunt tells me that Phoenix is dry heat - she just moved back from there last year), and I'm petrified of a natural disaster befalling me while travelling (and since I don't pay attention to these things, I don't even *know* when hurricane season is LOL). Yes, twit reasons, but meh. I'm the one travelling, right? Oh, and the Mouse? No desire whatsoever. (my kids on the other hand...)
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

For some reason, I have a mental picture of Jester just picking up one of those old style seltezer bottles (the kind you see in the old cartoons) and spraying the guy in the face with it and noting that shaking the gin and tonic would have the same effect.
                      Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        But how hard can it be to find a place that can make a Manhattan? All you need is bourbon or whiskey, which just about every bar has, ice, which EVERY bar has, and sweet vermouth, which may be the one thing that not every bar has. Of course, finding a bartender who can MAKE a good Manhattan is something else entirely. Good luck with that.

Or you could always sidle into my bar down here in the Keys and have me make you a good one. I recommend Woodford Reserve Bourbon, myself.

OK, where's the smiley for "drooling uncontrollably"?? Heh. I adore bourbon but it's really hard to find anything other than Jim Beam up here.

The recipe I have for a Manhattan calls for equal parts bourbon and sweet vermouth, with a dash of bitters. And ice of course. You're right, the sweet vermouth is a little harder to find, and bitters seem to be a tough one too.

*books flight to Keys*

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                          Which makes me wonder -- I thought James Bond was supposed to be smart and sophisticated -- but you DON'T shake a vodka martini! It "bruises" the alcohol, making it taste bitter. Stirring results in a better drink!
                          True...but I don't think anyone would accuse 007 of being a SC.....at least not to his face.
                          I guess they shouldn't have set their phasers to miss-Mike Nelson

Comment

Working...
                          X