This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heard that one before

Was working in a new location today when the tech handed me the phone and told me it was a relay call. I had an inkling of what was coming, but took it anyway. Heck, it might have been legit...

Operator gets on, identifies herself, goes through her opening spiel, then asks me to repeat the line I said when I answered the phone. (Thank you for calling Xxx Pharmacy, Shalom speaking...) Then she says Please hold for caller's response.

Then she says, " `Hello, this is (whatever name, I've forgotten it already and it was almost certainly phony anyway). Do you sell medical supplies, such as diabetic testing strips?' "

Yup, I thought as much. I said, "Yes we do, but we sell them for cash only. No credit cards accepted."

Long pause, then, " `No problem.' Caller disconnected." Well, that saved a lot of time that would otherwise have been wasted. I've played along with these guys in the past, stringing them along for fifteen minutes and only springing the Cash Only line on them at the very end, but I didn't have the patience for that today...

(Incidentally, there was a lot of background noise in the call, a sort of swooshy static, as if it was on a VoIP line that was short on bandwidth, or a multiple-hop satellite hookup. I wonder what sort of connection these guys were on.)

Ok, I'm drawing a blank on this one. Were they scamming on stolen credit cards, or was it a medical supply scam?

Please, more information, or just point and laugh at me. Your choice.

Comment

Most likely a scam with a stolen card. Test strips are pretty easy to unload for a nice profit.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Bented View Post
        Ok, I'm drawing a blank on this one. Were they scamming on stolen credit cards, or was it a medical supply scam?
        The former. What generally happens is that the stores get called by someone who wants to purchase many boxes of strips, for thousands of dollars, which they then ask you to ship overseas, and pay by credit card. Weeks later you get a chargeback because the card was stolen. They like to call through the relay services because it's untraceable, or was then. See this thread http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=56374.

It's gotten to the point where in my mind "Relay call" + "Diabetic testing supplies" = "Scam".
        Last edited by Shalom; 06-03-2010, 09:22 PM.

Comment

man, I can't believe that they are still trying those scams, surely everyone knows of them by now?

Nice way of getting rid of them though, wasted none of the relay operators time (ok, they get paid either way, but it lets them deal with a real relay call sooner so the customers are waiting for less time)

I'm now just waiting for one of our resident relay operator's to tell us how often these kind of calls get made.
          "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
          Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

My former boss almost got caught up in one of these a few years ago. The caller wanted a bunch of memory. When he stated that he wanted a percentage on this credit card number, and another on this card number, and so on, that he looked into it. All the credit cards were reported stolen.

He followed up with the police, but I didn't hear any more of it. The cash only line got used for all other relay calls with large orders.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how this scam could ever work. Do normal B&M retail pharmacies EVER do mail-order? To anywhere? For any item?

SirWired

Comment

@SirWired: Not that I know of. I know my Aid of Rite doesn't do mail order. Online, perhaps, I don't know. Mail order, no.
                Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
                  @SirWired: Not that I know of. I know my Aid of Rite doesn't do mail order. Online, perhaps, I don't know. Mail order, no.
                  Well, drugstore dot com is technically Aid of Rite's store #0777, or at least that's how it showed up in RADS when I worked there, so yeah, AofR does in fact do mail order. Just not from the retail stores, though. I last worked for them 8 years ago, so things might have changed.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    It's gotten to the point where in my mind "Relay call" + "Diabetic testing supplies" = "Scam".
                    Which is really sad. What do the genuinely deaf diabetics do? (Probably they ask for their supplies differently, n a way that doesn't trigger your scam-sense.)
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      Which is really sad. What do the genuinely deaf diabetics do? (Probably they ask for their supplies differently, n a way that doesn't trigger your scam-sense.)
                      Not sure I can analyze it; it just felt wrong, somehow.

If they're legit, what they do, usually, is 1) have a doctor write a prescription for the strips. You don't need one to purchase them over the counter, but if they have one they can...

2) Have their insurance or Medicare Part B pay for it, less their copay, and...

3) get one or two boxes at a time, not wholesale quantities.

(Oh, and they don't usually ask me to ship it to Nigeria...)
                      Last edited by Shalom; 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X