This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old "They've ALWAYS done it before" line

The hours at my store have been cut drastically so the girls who work in jewelry are usually gone by 4:30. This means that us 2nd shifters have to cover jewelry for 6 of our 8 hour shift.

We sell jewelry, replace batteries in (some) watches and will put new bands on a watch if it is purchased at our jewelry counter. We do not engrave, size rings, replace batteries in watches with screws holding the backs on, nor do we remove links from watchbands that are too large. We NEVER have.

So, tonight this guy picks up the phone at the counter and requests help. I dutifully go up and ask how I may help him.

SC: Young guy with new watch he got for Christmas.
    Me: Retail "I hate covering jewelry" Associate

Me: "Hello. How can I help you?"

SC: (very pleasant at this point) "Hi. I got this watch for Christmas and the band is too large. Could you remove a link or two for me?"

Me: "I'm sorry. We don't do that here."

SC: (suddenly pissed, voice slightly raised) "You've always done it before."

Me: (Oh, I have, have I?) "Not to my knowledge."

SC: (getting louder) "YOU HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT BEFORE! LISTEN! I WORKED HERE FOR TWO YEARS AND I KNOW YOU SIZE WATCHBANDS!!!"

Me: (smiling ever so sweetly) "I've worked here for nearly 7½ years and have been told that we are not to attempt resizing bands. This is (name of store), a big box retailer. We are not a full service jeweler. We don't have the tools for such tasks nor do we have the training. I have no idea how to resize your band." (I certainly could yank a link out but I don't think you'd be happy with the final result.)

SC: (pouting) "What am I supposed to do?"

Me: "Well, you could come back during the hours when the jewelry divas are here and maybe one of them will do it for you. But they're really not supposed to because if we break it, (name of store) pays for it."

I thought he would cry.
    Retail Haiku:
    Depression sets in.
    The hellhole is calling me ~
    I don't want to go.

Quoth Retail Associate View Post

SC: (getting louder) "YOU HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT BEFORE! LISTEN! I WORKED HERE FOR TWO YEARS AND I KNOW YOU SIZE WATCHBANDS!!!"

Me: (smiling ever so sweetly) "I've worked here for nearly 7½ years and have been told that we are not to attempt resizing bands.

Just one thing you did not mention. If this guy worked here for two years, and you have for 7 1/2, why didn't you tell him something like, "Gee, I do not recall working with you." Unless, it was because he had worked there nearly 10 years ago, prior to you hiring on.

Comment

I love it when SC's or SP's (stupid patients) use that line on things that we don't EVER do thinking that we'll go.."Oh yes sir, anything for you!! Would you like me to shine your shoes while you wait" ....

My favorite was when a patient called the nurse and asked her to place an order for a pizza delevery and then got upset when she said "We don't allow that" and then said (insert nurse that he thought wasn't there) does it for me all the time. Surpirsed she chimed in, no I have never done that for you. *click*

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
        SC: (pouting) "What am I supposed to do?"

Me: "Well, you could come back during the hours when the jewelry divas are here and maybe one of them will do it for you. But they're really not supposed to because if we break it, (name of store) pays for it."
        I would've told him to take it to an actual jeweler, to ensure that it was done correctly.

Or to gain enough weight so the band isn't too big.

Whichever.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          I would've told him to take it to an actual jeweler, to ensure that it was done correctly.

Whichever.
          But it's so hard to gain weight in the wrist-al area! I mean, I've been eating donuts for days already, with no luck! Heck, I think the whole 'lifting the donut to my mouth' is working out my wrist-imous area...
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
            Just one thing you did not mention. If this guy worked here for two years, and you have for 7 1/2, why didn't you tell him something like, "Gee, I do not recall working with you." Unless, it was because he had worked there nearly 10 years ago, prior to you hiring on.
            I've never seen the guy before so I'm fairly certain he never worked there. I'm thinking he knew at that point that he was 'caught.' If he worked there 10 years ago he would have to have been about 9 years old at the time.

I guess I'll just never understand people who will argue about what we actually do. Like I said, I can easily yank a link or two out of the watchband but I doubt he'd be happy with the way it was put back together...'cause I would probably use duct tape.

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post

Whichever.
            The girls who work 1st shift in Jewelry do some things they're not supposed to do. They have been known to break crystals on expensive Italian watches, scratch watches trying to pry the backs off, lose the tiny little screws or ruin watchbands which then have to be replaced by the store. They've been told over and over again not to do it, but they still do it.
            Last edited by Retail Associate; 12-31-2006, 06:05 AM.
            Retail Haiku:
            Depression sets in.
            The hellhole is calling me ~
            I don't want to go.

Comment

Working...
            X