X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early is as bad as Late

Again, I work selling fried chicken.

We had a call-in order, 12 legs at 6:00. Not bad, kind of odd. We normally do batches of 36 (9 breasts, 9 thighs, 9 legs, 9 wings). So, at 5:35, I start breading up a normal batch, plus the extra 12. At 5:40, I start dropping the chicken in the fryer. At the counter, I hear complaining and the word "12", so I'm thinking "No way.". Yep, the woman showed up 20 minutes early, and expected her 12 legs to be ready. Not being satisfied with how we only had 7 legs available, she took the 7 plus 5 thighs.

That's just great, now we have no legs for the next 15 minutes, and after that, too many. It just keeps compounding, because people who order dinners are going to want thighs in place of the missing legs, so the imbalance becomes even greater

If you order something for a certain time, we are going to have it ready 5 minutes prior to said time. Don't be surprised if I tell you that you have to sit down and wait for 20 minutes if (gasp) you come 20 minutes before the time it says!

On Christmas Eve, one guy came in two hours early, thinking we'd have his 50pc order ready. We had PLENTY of 50pc orders ready... just not his
    I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
    less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

That sucks. I know all about people and their fried chicken orders.

Where I work, though, they either have to wait, or take wings in place of the legs, because wings and legs are the same price.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If they decide on something in replacement, we charge the difference, offering the other of that form (white or dark). Breast is 1.89, Thigh is 1.29, Leg is 1.19, and Wing is .79 (And I HATE IT when people say "Ties" instead of "Thighs". The first time someone asked for chicken ties, I was like... 'Chicken tenders?')
      I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
      less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Quoth ahanix1989 View Post
        If you order something for a certain time, we are going to have it ready 5 minutes prior to said time. Don't be surprised if I tell you that you have to sit down and wait for 20 minutes if (gasp) you come 20 minutes before the time it says!
        And you know, honestly, by the sounds of it, you were going to have the chicken ready for the time that she wanted it - at 6:00. So . . . let's just say you happen to have her order ready early, that would have meant that the chicken could have been sitting on the warmer for an extra 20 minutes before she would have come in to pick it up (at 6:00 like she was suppose to).

For those of you still following Instead, she should have been rather appreciative, knowing that (if she did arrive at the correct time) her order would have been fresh and hot. But unfortunately, that's not the way it happens.
        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
          For those of you still following Instead, she should have been rather appreciative, knowing that (if she did arrive at the correct time) her order would have been fresh and hot. But unfortunately, that's not the way it happens.
          Yeah, but that would require logic and we all know about SCs and logic.
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth ahanix1989 View Post
            (And I HATE IT when people say "Ties" instead of "Thighs". The first time someone asked for chicken ties, I was like... 'Chicken tenders?')

A chicken tie is what you use to slaughter chickens on the farm. It is often just a chunk of old railroad tie with two long nails in it close together. (Thus the name) You put the chickens head between the nails so you don't have to hold the birds neck so close and risk your fingers. Then you use the hatchet to do the choppin. You then let the body run around until it is dead. I suppose it has many names and most people probably just call it a choppin block. (But chicken tie is SOOOO much more fun to say. )

If you want me to, I could get you a chicken tie to have behind the counter so you could sell them one when they ask for a "Chicken Tie". Does it have to be new or can it be a "used" model?

/Those birds always pecked me hard when I was carrying them to the chicken tie.
            "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
              If you want me to, I could get you a chicken tie to have behind the counter so you could sell them one when they ask for a "Chicken Tie"
              Sounds like a good idea. Do they make Customer Ties?
              free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
                Sounds like a good idea. Do they make Customer Ties?
                You would have to use bigger nails and space them farther apart, but other than that, it would be doable.
                "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

I don't know if that would be enough to kill them. Their headless bodies would probably come back and to ASL to us something along the lines of "this is rediculous! I wanna talk to your manager!"

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
                    Actually... because she came early... she got the old chicken sitting in the case -- and when I say old, I mean four hours. All small and dried out... mmm mmm the fresh chicken that she was supposed to get that came up looked so fresh and good... she doesn't know what she's missing

Oh, and it's not uncommon for people to show late... up to 2 hours late, actually. By then, sitting in the Nescos, their chicken is all sweaty and soft and soggy. (At MnP's, we will loan you a Nesco to keep your chicken orders warm, providing you return it clean within a week)

One woman showed up 6 hours late. Turns out the person who took the order said she could come in anytime after 1:00, because she just wanted it for the next day. We didn't know that, and thought she wanted it fresh.
                    Last edited by ahanix1989; 01-01-2007, 08:52 PM. Reason: read a little more. so sue me.

Comment

Working...
                    X