Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inmates are still considered customers, and you are still not safe from them.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inmates are still considered customers, and you are still not safe from them.

In Operator Services at Bellsouth, years ago, seventy per cent of our call volume were prison/inmate calls. When an inmate would call in, a screen code would appear showing it as such. These inmates were only allowed to call collect, whether it was a local or long distance call. They were under no circumstances allowed to be connected to another phone company, have operator assistance on dialing calls, make calls on calling cards or billed to special numbers, etc. Collect and dialed on their own was the only way to go. Now, you may wonder why this is the case. Long before this policy, inmates were allowed to bill calls to calling cards.....right up until it turned out all the inmates had the same calling card numbers!

As you all may know, not everything is foolproof. There were times that these calls would come in, and no screen code would appear showing it was an inmate calling. After a while, I practically knew each and every one of these inmates being the same ones called in every day. Some operators were not that smart, though, and would actually leak it to the inmate that the phone did not show a prison. The moment the inmate heard this, they would call and make the attempt to bill it to another number or to a calling card (most likely stolen). What was nice about this though is even though the screen code did not appear, the inmate still had to dial the number themselves before being routed to the operator.

Of course, it didn't end there. Later on, the phone companies came out with a three way calling detector for inmate calls. When an inmate called another person, that person would then do a three way call, bypassing any additional charges to a local number. This feature came out to where if a person made a three way call, the call would automatically disconnect. Of course, the increase in calls with "I was cut off and want a credit" came about. This also was invented due to inmates conducting fraudulent business practices while behind bars. I'm not sure how they do it, but they can somehow still steal credit card information and other personal things thanks to their friends with the freedom on the outside.

With collect being the only way to call, much of the time the person at the other end could refuse the call. Some of these people would attempt to quickly pass a message to one another, to which I would bill the call if that happened. You also as an operator had to pay close attention to the call. Sometimes when the person at the other end answered, the inmates would speak over that person, pretending to be the called party. I remember one, not sure if it was a man or woman being the inmate could do either voice, would say "We'll take it, we'll take it!" She would tell me "collect call from Chris" in a woman's voice, then would start speaking in a man's voice that they'll accept the call and say "OK, hold on Chris". Yet, what was funny is when I put "Chris" on hold, suddenly the man's voice accepting the call wasn't there!

Nowadays, from what I have heard, inmate calls are all automated with no operator assistance allowed, which pretty much explains why I moved on from that job. They don't need as many bodies for that anymore. I'm not sure if it stops inmates from committing fraud behind bars, but I'm sure it at least makes their task more difficult than before.

Quoth greensinestro View Post
    Some of these people would attempt to quickly pass a message to one another, to which I would bill the call if that happened.

Is that like that one commercial? You know, the guy calls his parents to announce the birth of his child... "Wehadababyit'saboy"?
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Right after I bought my house 2 years ago, I hired an all day babysitter to watch the kids while I went to work on it (fixer-upper). Little did I know that her bf was in jail and she was accepting collect calls on my home phone (which was only used for internet). That is, I didn't know until the bill came.

I ask you, how do you rack up over $500 in collect calls in a month? PLUS, the charges overlapped a billing cycle, so when I thought $500 was it, it wasn't. I tried to get her to pay me back, but she was 17, and legally I'd have to go after the parents....still haven't seen any money. Her mom actually laughed in my face and asked if I was going to try to garnish her welfare check. In the end, the legal bills would have been more, but silent, anonymous revenge is a sweet, sweet thing.

Last collect call I got was from my ex who called from the jail a day after he was arrested for drunk driving. When the operator asked if I would accept charges, I asked, "Can he hear us right now?" "Er, yes, ma'am." "Would you join me in a toast----here's to you getting ass-raped, jerk." She was trying not to snicker as I hung up the phone.
      ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
        ..."Would you join me in a toast----here's to you getting ass-raped, jerk." She was trying not to snicker as I hung up the phone.

Oh! That's dirty! But I love it!
        Retail Haiku:
        Depression sets in.
        The hellhole is calling me ~
        I don't want to go.

Comment

When I was still using, I had lost my apartment and moved in with a married couple who were friends of mine. Well, we were all strung out and their marriage was going to the crapper and he spent a lot of time in jail over family violence.

He'd call collect and she'd accept it each time - the bill was astronomical - and with no money to pay for it - the phone was shut off soon afterward.

But, they would pull all those stunts like calling someone else three-way so that another inmate could get a message to someone else. Then he would call the same way.

Fraud is still committed, at least at that time. There were inmates who got credit card numbers over the phone and would carry on their illegal activities from behind bars. That's beyond me - if you get caught - you're screwed. I guess at some point, people just don't care.
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

And, did I forget to mention the fact that it's BS when they tell you all inmate calls are monitored? If they were, wouldn't the fraud be stopped?

Comment

Yes, the only way they start monitoring is if they suspect something is going on.
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                And, did I forget to mention the fact that it's BS when they tell you all inmate calls are monitored? If they were, wouldn't the fraud be stopped?
                In a jail I did some computer work at, they record all calls coming in and out, their IT person showed me the filing cabinets filled with all the CD's of recorded calls. They only monitor certain inmates, but if needed, they can pull any conversation from any inmate via these CD's.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  Is that like that one commercial? You know, the guy calls his parents to announce the birth of his child... "Wehadababyit'saboy"?
                  hahaahha

"hello, you have a collect call from 'bob wehadababyitsaboy' do you accept these charges?"

"no"

"who was that"

"its bob, he had a baby, its a boy"

LOVE that commercial.

Comment

In the end, the legal bills would have been more, but silent, anonymous revenge is a sweet, sweet thing.
                    Please elaborate on this "anonymous revenge". Sounds interesting.

Anyway, could you not dispute the chages since the babysitter was not authorized to use the phone? Or do I have no idea what I am talking about?
                    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Phone fraud is alive and well in the Minneapolis, MN jails. So far the company's phone bill has had fraudulent charges against it from 2 different jails. When you do a reverse phone directory it just tells you it's from a jail phone and when you check out the website of the company charging you it is strictly used by jails.

What was wierd about the phone calls besides being after hours and for at least 30 minutes each is that when I called and disputed the charges I got the same operator. The calls were put through by two supposedly different companies.
                      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Those automated jail calls are a pain. Some tweak kept misdialing and getting our home phone number. First, I answered and refused to accept charges. Did that a few times. Then I tried to tell the idiot that he had the wrong number. But you know how tweaks are. (If you don't, I really envy you.) Finally, I just quit answering the phone.

The calls finally stopped, so either he finally came down and, after sleeping for three days, remembered the correct number for his girlfriend, or he got out and the first thing he did was go to his girlfriend's place for a screaming match with some violence for her refusing to accept his calls.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I ask you, how do you rack up over $500 in collect calls in a month?
                          Actually, it's not all that difficult. A lot of prisons use different phone companies that no one has ever heard of, which are a lot more expensive than the more well-known phone companies. My ex had this one friend who was in jail, and was constantly calling collect. She couldn't seem to understand why I freaked when I got the phone bill, but I guess if you spend your life living off others instead of supporting yourself, it's not an easy thing to understand.

It wasn't anything like $500, but it was still pretty steep, and I can believe it.

I eventually got tired of it, and put a block on collect calls. Of course, that made me an "asshole", because "he has no one to talk to." How was that my problem, and why did that obligate me to pay for his calls?
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Very interesting! I'm not sure what you mean by calling collect for local calls, though.
                            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
                            X