Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geeze, fireworks so soon before the 4th?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geeze, fireworks so soon before the 4th?

Because DAMN I haven't seen people yell at each other like this outside of a reality show or daytime talk show.

DISCLAIMER GOING IN--- this story involves EBT (U.S. food stamp program) users. If you want to debate the system, take it to Fratching!

Okay. So, I hop on a register because the only other regular register open is being manned by New Guy AS. He's doing his best, but he's still new, so he still has the occasional hang-up in that he doesn't know how to proceed in situation X.

For example, when an Arabic customer's EBT transaction doesn't go through. (The ethnicity comes into play later.) As it happened, the EBT customer had just gotten their PIN wrong, and were having trouble remembering it. But this, coupled with AS not knowing how to proceed, and some other issue that I didn't catch (which necessitated a manager's override) led to a long delay in getting the transaction finished.

This is when things started going very, very wrong.

Behind the EBT customer was a woman we'll call Impatient Bitch. She had been waiting "more than twenty minutes" (according to her) behind these people, and she decided to let them have it. She started mouthing off (in a regular tone of voice at first) about how long she was waiting, and then she started in about how she didn't like them "spending her money" on the food they were buying. When the EBT customers retorted that it was "not her business," IB fired back that "it WAS her business," since it was "her money" they were spending.

The volume escalated from there, neither the EBTCs nor IB backing down from their point of view, with IB starting to snap that the EBTCs should "go back to their country, and use EBT money there. Except you can't do that there, can you?" Which only made matters worse, of course.

While all this is happening, the people in my line are watching this drama bomb explode with mute horror. My customer tries to speak up and tell IB that "you're embarrassing yourself," only to be ignored completely. For my part, I just keep on a smile of blissful oblivion, and carry on doing my job as if none of this is going on, keep my voice level and calm and bright, and I do not get involved at all.

Before long, one of the EBTCs is in IB's face, gesticulating and yelling louder, with IB telling her to "get out of her face." MOD JA intercedes at this point to separate them, and gently but firmly walks IB away from the EBTCs, who are now threatening to call the police on IB for harassing them.

Finally, the EBTCs leave, with JA trying to talk to IB to find out exactly what went down. Just as it seems things are going to calm down, one of the EBTCs storms back up, shouting that "the police are on their way. Now you're going to pay."

EBTCs leave at last, and poor AS, who was stuck there unable to ring up anyone (as IB's merchandise was filling his register belt and blocking his lane), rings out IB and sends her on her way. No police ever show up, as far as I know. Things return to normalcy.

Surprisingly, for all the volume and animosity that was filling the air, there was no profanity being thrown about.

This is the first time I've actually witnessed one of these drama bombs going off at our store. I'd heard about them before, but this was the first time I saw it happen. Not really looking forward to any more of them.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

That sounds very distracting, I don't know how you managed to keep working as though nothing was going on.

Comment

What a nightmare.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Solumina View Post
        That sounds very distracting, I don't know how you managed to keep working as though nothing was going on.
        I'd say it's a testament to just how much retail work can desensitize a person. In my computer selling days, I tuned out many a husband-wife argument over financial matters, some of which turned into yelling matches about things I wouldn't have discussed in public.

Still, IB's comments were out of line. I have my opinions about EBT stuff (what I think it should and should not be used for, who I think should or should not get it), but what good is it going to do me to start berating the EBT beneficiaries in public? None. They didn't make the policies, they won't change their shopping habits just because some random person in the grocery store says they should, and I just might get hurt if I mouth off to the wrong person.
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

IB was WAY out of line with those remarks. Kudos to you for the restraint and for your manager for de-escalating the situation.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
          X