This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Samaritan?

I work in the leasing office of the apartment complex where I live. One of my residents had her boyfriend move in with her about 6 weeks ago. I was not thrilled when this happened because he'd been a resident with us before some years ago, and was just a crazy drunk who was a pain in the butt with his neighbors. His girlfriend's window was shattered a couple of weeks ago, and we're all pretty positive that he broke it in a drunken frenzy (can't prove it), but he and his girlfriend at least paid for the repair. He came into the office today to use some of our office equipment and inquired about renting a studio on his own, confiding that his girlfriend was beginning to drive him crazy.

So we talk about move-in costs for a studio. He tells me that his credit is rocky so I tell him that we can probably still work with him, but that there is a good chance that he will need an extra security deposit. I explain that we can break this up over the course of a couple of months to make things easier for him, though. He still balks at the cost of the first couple of months, since the deposit will probably be an entire additional month's rent, so I let him know that he can talk to the manager about possibly breaking the deposit up over a longer period of time.

Then he goes on and on about how he always picks up trash he sees lying around the property. (It's a pretty nice-ish complex and the service techs constantly pick up everything they see whenever they are out, on or off duty, so it's not, like, strewn with mounds of litter. I pick up trash whenever I see it and I end up getting _maybe_ one or two cigarette butts or drink lids every two or three days, and I live here!) I see what he's getting at and gently explain to him that under the Fair Housing Act there is only so much wiggle room we have with our rental policies, since we have to treat EVERYONE equally. (The FHA actually gets extreme to points that I think are utterly ridiculous sometimes, but that's a rant for another day.) Nonetheless, he continues to go on and on about how he picks up litter. Why, he even reminds women he sees smoking outside to extinguish their butts and throw them in the trash instead of on the ground, he's that conscientious!

I later found out that he did the same thing, making a big deal of how much he picked up garbage, when he was talking to the manager quite recently.

Is it unfair for me to find that annoying? Seriously? We will give you lower rent because you claim to pick up a couple cigarette butts every now and then? It just irritated me because he thought he was being so subtle. I repressed my urge to roll my eyes and sent him on his way with as much information I could give to be helpful. I wonder whether I'm being too touchy. It's not like he was being a jerk at all -- he was actually very nice to me. It was just stupid.

So he thought by saying he picks up trash that he deserves cheaper rent? WRONG. He kind of sounds like a con man psycho. Of course he was being nice, he was sniffing for a discount. He'd blow his roll of the nice guy if he were to snap at you. Watch out for him, he seems sneaky. Just my thoughts though, I could be wrong.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
      Of course he was being nice, he was sniffing for a discount.
      To be fair, he has always been nice to me, even when he was wasted and spouting off bizarre conspiracy theories.

I guess I feel a little guilty about being irritated because 95% of people who ask for discounts do so on the grounds that there is something "wrong" with their apartment or the property that "inconvenienced" them (when they moved in they had something small that needed repair that we fixed the next day, the pool was closed when they wanted to take their kids on a hot day because someone broke glass and under state law we had to shut it down for 24 hours, etc.) and act like children about it, assuming that if they throw a fit we'll be more likely to cave in.

Comment

So...going by his logic...

that time EQ and I stomped out a fire someone's brats started in one of the laundry rooms means I shouldn't ever have to pay rent AGAIN!

SWEEEEET!!

I'm going to go tell my leasing manager this! Oh, and have oxygen on standby for when she laughs so hard she goes blue in the face...

Comment

Really? Because I just don't make litter. I shouldn't pay rent ever.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Wow. I wish I could get away with that!
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Zoe Hates You View Post
              ... the pool was closed when they wanted to take their kids on a hot day because someone broke glass and under state law we had to shut it down for 24 hours, etc.
              Whaaah... What babies.

Our building had a pool... then it had a dry pool... then it had a dry pool with chunks of the bottom torn up... then it had a dry, damaged pool with a bunch of nasty dirt dumped into it... then it had a dry, damaged pool with nasty dirt in it, and a wall of nasty dirt set up in preparation to be dumped into it that stayed in everyone's way for nearly two weeks... then it had a damaged pool basin filled with nasty dirt... and just a month or so, ago, it turned into a damaged pool basin filled with nasty dirt with a covering of astroturf.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
              X