This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A haunting...

It's one of these days. A warranty case of my old company came haunting me.

To make a long story short, a customer bought a pair of chairs + ottomans over two years ago. Pretty normal stuff, 1 year warranty for materials and workmanship, and within warranty period sent me an email that a seam had failed. No problem, I asked him to provide additional information like photos or bring the chair back for inspection.

He never did. Until march this year, 2y+ from the date of original purchase. I offered to take a look at the seam and went as far as driving to his house and taking a bunch of photos.

The whole case looked a bit suspicious, it wasn't only one seam but five that had failed. These chairs are pretty robust, I've sold a number of them to public places like hotels and bars and there had never been a single problem with them. I'd say they're pretty much bombproof, they can take years of abuse in a harsh bar environment.

I sent photos to the manufacturer and they confirmed my suspicion, such failures at the seams can only be caused by sharp objects or excessive force; one or two seams might just be a quality control issue but five in one chair, at home, not a chance.

Fast forward to today. The customer called. I explained him the situation and that there's nothing I can do for him - as a matter of fact there never was, because it's apparent that the seam failure has been caused by customer's own actions, not a manufacturing fault.

Can you say "instant SC"? Good, I knew you could. He started demanding 500€ as a compensation. After explaining politely that this is not possible (the company has been out of business for several months now, I take care of obvious warranty issues on my own time and this case was definitely not covered by warranty), he went ballistic.

After hearing a couple of sentences about someone "kicking my ass for this" I hung up. Damn, this guy might fall somewhere between a particularly enthusiastic SC and an entitlement whore. I can't even describe how happy I am that I'm out of that particular business, in addition to being the owner/manager of (now defunct) company. Being able to say "no" in obvious cases without asking anyone's permission is priceless.

The "best" part? This guy called my personal, non-listed cell phone. Positively the last time I'll ever give it to anyone, it seems that some nice, even good customers can turn to complete SC:s at the drop of the hat when they don't get what they want.

it seems that some nice, even good customers can turn to complete SC:s at the drop of the hat when they don't get what they want.
    People who cut up their own chair to make a warranty claim a year too late don't fit into any definition of "good customer" I'm aware of.
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
      don't fit into any definition of "good customer" I'm aware of.
      He used to be, buying $5k worth of furniture during his 5-6 month shopping spree back in '07. Surprisingly, he now insisted on cash compensation, not a replacement or repair. Fluctuations? Easy come, easy go? Wouldn't be too surprised if he tries to pull a fast one with insurance company next.

Comment

Wouldn't shock me, either.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
        X