This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I succumb to my BOFH tendencies

For those who don't know, I'm a systems admin for a major shared web hosting company. I worked my way up from level 1 phone tech. For a while, I ran our "Scripting" department as a tier 2 tech. While I was in scripting, I had a customer call in demanding I let him use more than 1GB of RAM. We offer a very basic shared hosting package for very cheap, and it's a great basic service. It is NOT a high end dedicated hosting account, or anything better than a $4 a month cheap hosting account.

That said, here's the conversation I had with him:

SC: Why can't I use 1GB of RAM? There's 18GB free right now.
    Me: Because that's way too much RAM for a PHP process in shared hosting.
    SC: Yet you give me access to the memory_limit variable?
    Me: Yes, to a point. If you exceed 256MB of RAM, an admin can and will shut you down for excessive resources. It's in the Terms of Service you agreed to when you signed up.
    SC: I didn't read that drivel.
    Me: Doesn't matter to us. You agreed to it, meaning you agree to adhere, or be told to find different hosting.
    SC: YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO! *hangs up on me*

After watching the account, I notice he set his memory limit to 1GB, then 5GB. This is where I go BOFH. His site ate the 5GB, and was still throwing out of memory errors. This means that someone has some REALLY badly programmed code he's trying to run here. This also means that EACH time someone loads his site, his php script will allocate 5GB of RAM before dying.

...So I load up 5 firefox tabs with this site, and load his page each twice before I get the "This account has been suspended" notice. Amazing what a php script trying to allocate a combined 25GB of RAM will do to get an admin's attention. The admin's note specified that he'd been suspended a few times before for general asshattery on our servers, and now must go find new hosting.
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

This.

Like.

Very much like.

*giggles*

Comment

That's hardly BOFH. There was no *splat*. There was no *kzzz-ert*. And WTF was he thinking that he didn't realise that he'd effed up that script? Or did he just think that no one would care that it would break?

Comment

Was Doofus trying to do a buffer overload, or was he just a fucking idiot?

C
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
          That's hardly BOFH. There was no *splat*. There was no *kzzz-ert*
          The BOFH wouldn't fly to India just to push someone off a ledge...unless he wanted to go for one of his junkets. Regardless, he's banned from signing up with us again, so he's effectively gone. :-D

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
          Was Doofus trying to do a buffer overload, or was he just a fucking idiot?
          Like all of our really dumbass SC types at <hosting company>, he started the conversation with me by telling me he was an experienced programmer...I didn't look at his code, as just talking to him made my brain hurt, but he had to have some sort of infinite loop or something just throwing crap at variables until RAM filled.
          Last edited by Midorikawa; 06-12-2010, 08:42 PM.
          Coworker: Distro of choice?
          Me: Gentoo.
          Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
            The BOFH wouldn't fly to India just to push someone off a ledge...unless he wanted to go for one of his junkets.
            If he had clients in India he'd have something set up to do it remotely. He can't always be bothered to take the elevator stairs to push someone off a ledge, he gets them to do it to themselves.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
              Like all of our really dumbass SC types at <hosting company>, he started the conversation with me by telling me he was an experienced programmer...I didn't look at his code, as just talking to him made my brain hurt, but he had to have some sort of infinite loop or something just throwing crap at variables until RAM filled.
              Ooh I can program! I can make a line keep writing itself! That's super 1337. I can even make something flash and sparkle....:

Experienced in making shitty code, yes.
              Experienced in making something work, FAIL.

Just tell the bastage "I don't care if your dick IS 12 inches long, I can pull the power on the server. Take that."

C
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                ...Just tell the bastage "I don't care if your dick IS 12 inches long, I can pull the power on the server. Take that."
                Compile Error: decimal point misplaced.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                X