X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Ugh >.>

A Terrifying Glimpse

Me: “Hmm, I’m afraid that item number doesn’t come up. What’s the name of the item?”
    SC: “Al….Al-le….Ale-bra…hoodie?”
    Me: “…Alebra?”
    SC: “Al….Ali.....Alga......Algebra Hoodie?”

…..really? You couldn’t figure out how to read the word “Algebra?”. It’s like every single thing I’ve ever suspected about callers on this line rolled into a single glorious moment. Not only can you not read properly, but you don’t recognize the word algebra. Thus revealing terrifying clues about not one but two failures in your education. What exactly is going on up there? Isn’t some sort of education mandatory? Do you not have schools? Or at least CBC Kids?

I could understand if perhaps, say, fancy book learnin’ just wasn’t practical for surviving the cruel arctic landscape. So instead you focused on honing your hunting and survival skills so that you might live proud and free off of the very land itself. However, most of you sound like your very lives would be endangered trying to tie your shoelaces. In fact I am almost *awed by your sheer resilience to nature’s cruel indifference. How has natural selection not claimed the lot of you in its unfeeling jaws?

Have you ever seen those old nature documentaries on Booby birds trying to take off and land? Where they just plow into the ground or stumble around like drunken frat boys in slow motion to amused orchestral music while a British narrator makes sarcastic remarks? Then you sit there and wonder how in the heck this species managed to survive so long?

You are that bird.

Billing

I have a proposition for accounts receivable: I suggest that we begin charging for the verbal lashings our employees endure on behalf of our clients. In fact, this should be charged per minute. For every minute an operator endures the spittle of one of your customers berating us or ranting at length despite knowing full well that we have absolutely nothing to do with their problem, the client should be charged a flat rate. Say $3.99 / Minute?

It seems fair enough. I mean normally when someone is taking it up the ass verbally over a phone, someone's being charged per minute. Only difference in this case is no one's going to walk away sticky.

Desperation

Me: “Good evening, <company>. Can I help you?”
    SC: “No, I just want to talk to someone!”
    Me: “Than you’ll have to call somewhere else.”
    SC: “No, wait, don’t hang up!”
    Me: "Bye bye"
    SC: "Nooooo-<click>"

I’M SO LONELY. OH GOD.

Please, Continue

C: “I’m really really sorry and thank you so much!”

Much as your subhuman groveling pleases my dark heart and encourages me to preen while I bask in your gutless servitude..…you should probably save it for the maintenance guy. Who is the one that actually has to get out of bed and drive down there to let your sorry key losing arse back into their suite. I am merely the messenger which informs him of his unenviable task.

Priorities

Sometimes I really wish callers would just be up front and outright state “I am calling because I irrationally believe you can perform a miracle on my behalf”. It would make things so much easier as I could just flat out tell them right there that I do not possess any sort of supernatural power nor sway over the laws of man and nature. Allow me to demonstrate.

This caller has a rather odd request. Specifically, she wishes to know to know “what port is closest to the airport”. Notice this is an unusual, and rather difficult question to begin with, but it is confounded by a series of astounding informational voids:

1) She did not book a trip through this travel agency.
    2) She isn’t even on a cruise ship to begin with. She’s on a sailboat.
    3) She does not know where she currently is.
    4) She doesn't know where the fuck she currently is!
    5) She cannot even give me a rough idea such as what time zone or hemisphere.
    6) Or indeed any information that might allow me to pinpoint her location in any way shape or form.
    7) She cannot even name the city or country whose port she is trying to reach. She has forgotten because it was difficult to pronounce.

Now normally when one is in a situation where they are on a sailboat and have absolutely no fucking idea where they are, they should be calling say the Coast Guard first and/or activating their distress beacon. But no, her first priority is to call ahead to where she hopes she’s going to make sure she can get the shortest taxi ride to the airport.

Sigh

Me: “Sorry, was that E as in Edward or B as in Boy?”
    SC: “No, C, as in Cunt!”
    Me: “…….”
    SC: “Eehehe!”

Right-o, let’s see, where’s my list….ah ha. So now I can safely add “Maturity” to the list of qualities grossly absent from my callers on this line. In addition to intelligence, reason, critical thinking, manners, respect, patience, education, literacy, math skills, fashion sense, money sense, hygiene and opposable thumbs.

Always good to keep my information up to date.

Protip

Just a quick little observation: If you’ve been calling so often about noise complaints that you not only recognize my voice, but you know me by my first name. Then maybe the problem isn’t your building or your neighbours. Maybe it’s just you. See, you call so often that I know your voice and name as well. That’s how often you’ve called to complain about noise. I’m beginning to suspect that noise is not the issue you here. The issue is that you are a cankerous, grumpy old asshole whose only remaining pleasure in life is stamping out joy and spreading unhappiness to others like you’re patient zero of some sort of misery plague.

Magic Box

SC: “PARDON?! ASKJ PHIL?!?”
    Me: “Excuse me?”

Always good when the first thing they say is just an unintelligible stream of raw stupidity yelled at the top of their lungs.

SC: “MY NAME IS A-MAN-DA!”
    Me: “…alright, what can I do for you?”

Hello, A, Man, Da. Are you wearing your helmet, today? Good girl.

SC: “LAST MONTH I ORDERED A JACKET BUT IT HASN’T GOTTEN HERE YET”
    Me: “Alright, I’m afraid customer service is not in this early-”
    SC: “I WAITED ONE MONTH FOR MY JACKET WHEN I ORDERED”
    Me: “You’ll have to speak with customer service, but I’m afraid they are not in yet this morning-”
    SC: “I WAITED, I WAITED!!....YOU NOT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!”

YOU BAD SERVICE! NO JACKET GIVE! JACKET WAS BE HERE MANY MOON AGO! NO HERE! BAD!

TICKLE, AMY! TICKLE, AMY!

Me: “I’m afraid they’re just not in this early on Sun-“
    SC: “YOU WORKING FOR <COMPANY?!”
    Me: “I’m their afterhours order desk”
    SC: “WELL THAN YOU KNOW SOMETHING!”

YOU KEEP IT SEKRET! YOU SAY NOT TRUE THINGS!

AMY, HIT WITH STICK.

Me: “I can’t access an order that was placed a month ago-“
    SC: “YOU HAVE COMPUTAR!?”
    Me: “.....Yes.”
    SC: “CHECK AMY'S NAME!”
    Me: “I can’t check an on order that already went through-“
    SC: “WHY NOT?! YOU HAVE COMPUTAR!”

I realize that modern technology may appear to be made of pure magic from the perspective of one such as yourself. However, I assure you it is still merely a machine and it must still abide by the rules of time and space. If sitting at a keyboard truly gave me limitless power to wield as I chose you would have just burst into flames and been reduced to a pile of ash, two slippers and a stained purple moo-moo the moment you touched the phone. In fact that would probably be the only thing I would do with it. I wouldn’t use it for world domination or any such nonsense. I’d just use it as a passive-aggressive form of combustion based vengeance for every transgression ever committed upon me over a phone line.

Me: "I'm afraid the main office has a separate system. I do not have access to it as they are closed right now. It is 3am locally-"
    SC: "BUT YOU HAVE COMPUTAR!!!!!!"

YOU HAVE COMPUTAR. GIVE AMY JACKET! AMY, GOOD GORILLA.

Gah!
    ( I ended up hanging up on her before -.- )

SC: “HELLO?!”

…Hello again.

SC: “I WAN MAKE AN ORDER!!!”
    Voice in background: “Don’t be an idiot!”

Hahaha, well at least someone there has a good handle on the situation.

Me: “And your name please?”
    SC: “AMANDA!”
    Voice in background: “Stop it, don’t be an idiot!”

It’s like my subconscious is actually yelling in the background. This is a great idea, actually. I need someone in the background of all of my calls yelling the obvious at the caller.

Me: "And which catalog would you like to order from?"
    SC: "UHHH......WAIT."

Believe me, I await every screeched word from your spittle dripping maw with baited breath.

SC: "IT WINTER 2010"
    Me: ".....I'm sorry, Winter *2010*?"
    SC: "YA"
    Me: "....are you sure? I'm afraid there is no 2010 Winter catalog yet."
    SC: "IT WINTER 2010"
    Me: "But there is no such catalog-"
    SC: "IT SAY WINTER ON IT"
    Voice In Background: "Stop bein' a fuckin idiot!"
    Me: "...yes, but we haven't issued a Winter catalog for this year yet"
    SC: "WHYNOT?!"
    Me: "...because it's summer..."
    SC: "IT WINTER CATALOG FER 2010"
    Me: "That catalog doesn't exist yet."
    SC: "WHY"
    Voice In Background: "Stop it!"

This is rapidly becoming the most dysfunctional call I have ever had the misfortune of taking part in.

Me: "Can you tell me the catalog number on the back?"
    SC: "UH......xxxxx"
    Me: "Alright, that's 2009."
    SC: "OH."
    Voice In Background: "You idiot!"

Thank you, Voice In Background. For expressing what I dare not say. Mostly due to retaining my employment. Although at this point I think management would forgive me.

And yes, she is ordering the exact same jacket again. Obviously.

Me: "Alright, will that be by credit card or COD?"
    SC: "DID YOU FIND MA ORDER?!?"
    Me: "I'm sorry?"
    SC: "IN THE COMPUTAR!!!!!! YOU CAN MAKE ODER SO WHY CAN'T YOU FIND?!"

Holy shit woman, let it go.

No Good Deed

To prefix: This is a line to sign up for some silly workshop or some such. You call, sign up, buy your ticket, go on your merry way. But we can only sign up one guest per call due to call volume and call duration limit reasons. IE this is one of those lines where the client has a call duration they want us to stay under.

So I get this call from an older woman, very nice and polite. She wants to sign up both herself and her husband. Normally I can only do one at a time, and I tell her that, but because it's her husband, I offer to register them both for her. Because, as its her husband, they have the same address, phone number, billing information etc so its no problem to just copy pasta a second registration form and still stay under my call duration limits. Note that I clearly inform her of these limitations and why I can surpass them on her behalf. Mainly, I am going out of my way for her because she is being nice, polite and generally a good customer all around.

And then.....this happens:

Me: "Good evening, <company>, how many I help you?"
    SC: "Ya, I wanna register for the workshop."

All is seemingly well at first. I get all her info, payment info, etc and am finishing up the call....

Me: "Alright, you're signed up and on the guest list now. Thank you for calling, and you should receive a confirmation via email of your registration."
    SC: "Wait, I wanna register my husband's buddy too"
    Me: "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I can only process one guest per call. Can you ask him to call himself to register? We'll need his billing information s-"
    SC: "WHAT?! BUT YOU JUST LET MY MOM DO IT!!! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!!"

I will admit it took every ounce of my willpower to not blurt out "Were you adopted?".

Because it seems the apple has not only fallen far from the tree, but rolled down a hill across three lanes of traffic into a sewer drain, floated down a murky river of waste and offal before being washed out to sea where it was carried by the currents for a fortnight before washing up on the desolate shores of North Cuntasia.

annnnnd rest.....there's yet more but I am tired and weak. >.>
    Last edited by Gravekeeper; 06-13-2010, 11:53 PM.

GK, I just wanted to say that your posts, every week, are the highlight of my Sunday.

I'm just sorry you have to deal with so much idiocy to give us all so much amusement.

Comment

No good deed goes unpunished, indeed.

...so how many nights in a row did A-man-da call back?
      EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS CANCER AND MADNESS. (Gravekeeper)
      ~-~
      Also, I have been told that I am sarcastic. I don’t know where anyone would get such an impression.(Gravekeeper again)

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post

Billing

I suggest that we begin charging for the verbal lashings our employees endure on behalf of our clients..... Say $3.99 / Minute?
        It would only be a good idea if the employees would actually see the benefits of that. We know all too well, corporate would keep every stinking penny.
        Make a list of important things to do today.
        At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
        Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Thank you, GK, for the laugh. I'm sorry, but all I could think of when I read the first story was "Ale-Alejandro, Ale-Alejandro!" Hahaha...and the rest of the post is just classic, hilarious GK-ness! I bow to you, sir!
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I mean normally when someone is taking it up the ass verbally over a phone, someone's being charged per minute. Only difference in this case is no one's going to walk away sticky.
            Considering some of your callers, that is not something I would be all that confident wagering on.

This caller has a rather odd request. Specifically, she wishes to know to know “what port is closest to the airport”.

2) She isn’t even on a cruise ship to begin with. She’s on a sailboat.
            4) She doesn't know where the fuck she currently is!
            7) She cannot even name the city or country whose port she is trying to reach.

Now normally when one is in a situation where they are on a sailboat and have absolutely no fucking idea where they are, they should be calling say the Coast Guard first and/or activating their distress beacon.
            I cannot be the only person who thought, "So THAT'S how they found Abby Sunderland!"

The issue is that you are a cankerous, grumpy old asshole whose only remaining pleasure in life is stamping out joy and spreading unhappiness to others like you’re patient zero of some sort of misery plague.
            "PATIENT ZERO WILL HANG UP THE PHONE OR THE PHONE WILL BE INCINERATED! REPEAT!
            "PATIENT ZERO WILL HANG UP THE PHONE OR THE PHONE WILL BE INCINERATED! REPEAT!"

This one made my sad. Not for any of the normal reasons, but because Amanda happens to be one of my all-time favorite women's names. So much so that my beloved bike is named Amanda.

Me: “…alright, what can I do for you?”
            Apparently not a whole hell of a lot, mostly because the help she needs does not come from a customer service representative.

If sitting at a keyboard truly gave me limitless power to wield as I chose you would have just burst into flames and been reduced to a pile of ash, two slippers and a stained purple moo-moo the moment you touched the phone.

I’d just use it as a passive-aggressive form of combustion based vengeance for every transgression ever committed upon me over a phone line.
            I would love to have that power for dealing with some of the lesser sorts I have dealt with at the bar. Lousy tippers, obnoxious drunks, opinionated assholes, argumentative fuckwads, entitlement whores, self-important divas, unbathed bums, and Ohio State fans.

It’s like my subconscious is actually yelling in the background.
            Let's think about this. You have been dealing with idiots like this for years. The psychic energy you've worked up from the frustration must be huge. A-man-da in no way acknowledges the background voice, nor does she react to it. And it seems far, FAR more intelligent than her. So I posit two alternative theories:

1. Your subconscious has actually reached out from inside you, formed an audible and perhaps even physical manifestation in the world, and is now yelling at your callers all that which should have been yelled at them for years.
            2. You have finally gone stark raving bonkers and are hearing what you are thinking as an external voice, doing what you have wished to do for years.

This is rapidly becoming the most dysfunctional call I have ever had the misfortune of taking part in.
            And here I would think that the background voice shouting your subconscious thoughts at her would make it the most satisfying dysfunctional cal you have ever taken part in.

Because it seems the apple has not only fallen far from the tree, but rolled down a hill across three lanes of traffic into a sewer drain, floated down a murky river of waste and offal before being washed out to sea where it was carried by the currents for a fortnight before washing up on the desolate shores of North Cuntasia.
            Not only was that one of your funnier rants, you have given me a great new phrase: North Cuntasia. Oh, the things I can do with such a phrase.......

Quoth Indica View Post
            GK, I just wanted to say that your posts, every week, are the highlight of my Sunday.
            I love GK's posts too, but you really need to get out more!
            Last edited by Jester; 06-14-2010, 05:03 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Maybe it's the Vicodin talking, but this was hilarious.

I will now have to find a way to interject "North Cuntasia" into a conversation.
              hea·then [hee-thuhn] noun
              1. an unconverted individual that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.
              2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
              3. the children of NotSoInnocent.

Comment

Quoth NotSoInnocent View Post
                Or maybe not.. I've not managed to fight my way into my strong PKs yet & I was sniggering like a loon
                Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

It’s like my subconscious is actually yelling in the background. This is a great idea, actually. I need someone in the background of all of my calls yelling the obvious at the caller.
                  I believe that the voice in the background actually IS GK's subconscious. His powers are now honed to the degree where his thoughts physically manifest themselves in the air around the idiot customers.
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
                    It would only be a good idea if the employees would actually see the benefits of that. We know all too well, corporate would keep every stinking penny.
                    but still, the customer's would think twice about devolving into a rant if they knew it was costing them money. (although it would be even better if the money went to the rep)
                    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

I guarantee you I know exactly where the finger-painting simian's jacket is:
                      Its sitting at a post office, COD of course, and A) she hasnt gone in to check, expecting it to come to her igloo, and B) it's in a post office hundreds of miles away because she got every single detail of her own address wrong..

Edit: Good news though, here is a heart-warming glimpse of Amy's future
                      Last edited by infinitemonkies; 06-14-2010, 11:19 AM. Reason: added link
                      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

5) She cannot even give me a rough idea such as what time zone or hemisphere.
                        I'm going to go out on a limb here and play Sherlock Holmes. She's in Nunavut, so, NorthWestern Hemisphere?
                        No problem, FAKE NAME...
                        SC: “CHECK AMY'S NAME!”
                        Oh, what you did there, I see it...
                        SC: “AMANDA!”
                        Nope, that was an eyelash, I'm lost again.
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Only difference in this case is no one's going to walk away sticky.
                          Yeah... you'd like to think so, wouldn't you?
                          So now I can safely add “Maturity” to the list of qualities grossly absent from my callers on this line. In addition to intelligence, reason, critical thinking, manners, respect, patience, education, literacy, math skills, fashion sense, money sense, hygiene and opposable thumbs.
                          And yet, they can manage a phone well enough to continue to plague you and your call center for orders.

Well, there are probably some who can't manage it at all, and blessedly, you never have to actually deal with them until they get a surrogate to help them out.
                          YOU BAD SERVICE! NO JACKET GIVE! JACKET WAS BE HERE MANY MOON AGO! NO HERE! BAD!
                          No, it's only been one month, so it's only been one moon, not many.

Either way, however, she no can has.
                          I’d just use it as a passive-aggressive form of combustion based vengeance for every transgression ever committed upon me over a phone line.
                          And, yet, even without using them directly for world domination, you'd probably get pretty far, regardless.
                          Thank you, Voice In Background. For expressing what I dare not say. Mostly due to retaining my employment. Although at this point I think management would forgive me.
                          Um, are you certain there was an actual voice in the background, and it wasn't just your inner monologue slowly developing those powers everybody (but the idiots) wish you had. Right now, they're at the level of disembodied voice, and it's obviously unreliable, but I think you're well on your way. *nods enthusiastically*

(and, reading the prior responses, I can see others or of the same opinion)
                          Quoth Jester View Post
                          This one made my sad. Not for any of the normal reasons, but because Amanda happens to be one of my all-time favorite women's names. So much so that my beloved bike is named Amanda.
                          Don't worry, Jester. This particular ... individual ... was named A-MAN-DA and not Amanda, so your favored name is unsullied.

Well, more likely, he changed the name entirely, so the name is even less sullied.
                          Quoth Jester View Post
                          2. You have finally gone stark raving bonkers and are hearing what you are thinking as an external voice, doing what you have wished to do for years.
                          I kind of considered this option, too, but it's the lesser choice, and I think it was flavored by my being a fan of Deadpool, so...
                          Quoth NotSoInnocent View Post
                          Nope. I can assure you with complete confidence that it's not the Vicodin talking.

Gravekeeper really is that freaking funny.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                          X