This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no really, please be joking

OK, had a call last week... the level of stupid on the hearing user's part is extraordinary.
    I learned during the course of the three times it took him to actually listen to me and let me explain the call that he has a son who is deaf, this son goes to a school for the deaf, with the exception of a few interpreters the school has employed to interpret for hearing parents all the staff at this school is deaf, and his son has many deaf friends.
    He didn't know how relay calls worked... he wasn't even aware of there existence
    Seriously dude, you mean to tell me that your son has never called you on relay and none of his teachers has ever called you before? Despite the fact that your son no doubt uses the service, you have no clue what it is? OK... getting past that.
    His first response when I called was "well, my son isn't trying to make a phone call, what the hell is this about"
    When I explained relay (and the deaf user hadn't yet finished typing the introduction) he just repeated, "my son isn't trying to call anyone, there is a mistake" and hung up.
    I redialed at the deaf user's request... this time I get the lovely greeting of "still a mistake, he's still not trying to call anybody" and hung up.
    By this time the deaf user has requested we use a non-standard greeting (fine by me)
    The hearing user picks up, "what, are you fucking stupid, I've told you that my son isn't trying to call someone three times now... what is it going to take you to stop."
    My response, "This is (relay) communication assistant (number) assisting (name of teacher), (son's name) teacher placing a phone call, she wishes to know whether I may connect the call or if you are going to hang up on her again?" (exactly as the deaf user requested)
    "Well, why the fuck didn't you say something earlier"
    ... umm, maybe because you kept hanging up on me and wouldn't let me get that far...

And remember, this is a guy who has a deaf son who goes to a school staffed entirely by the deaf. I weep for that boy's future.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

.................................................. ...........
    Seriously?..................................
    His mother must deal with the school. Otherwise I have no idea how that would work out. The son might not even bother calling, living with him he might get this all the time.
    That poor child.
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
      The son might not even bother calling, living with him he might get this all the time.That poor child.
      The son may not live with dad. In high school, I was very involved with Deaf culture/community and visited the Deaf school. There were dorms with kids as young as 5 living on their own.

Comment

This is true, but he still might be very used to how his father is, depending on the age and when the kid lost his hearing. You'd think the father would be with the program by now. Or have some idea how it works...Dunno.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

How weird.

I wonder if the guy was pissed off at his son for some reason, and was (in an odd and stupid way) trying to say "I don't have a son"?

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

Working...
          X