This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Travel and Bargaining

A couple of bits that highlighted my week. Lots more going on, but for safety's sake (safety of our employees) I'm not posting the more exciting (and stressworthy) bits. Sorry.

I hear my main register gal answer the phone and pause a few minutes and then go "I'm.. sorry.. sir? Do you want me to get a manager?" Joy. Sure enough, a moment later, "Hey, line one for you."

Me: *picks up the line* Thank you for holding, this is Shaded, how can I help ya?"
    Old Guy: Yer a manager?
    Me: Yes sir, how can I help?
    OG: Well now! I never heard of no woman manager. You sure?
    Me:... Yes.. sir.. I am a manager.
    OG: There ain't no guy managers there? I'm not sure a woman would know the answers to this.
    Me: *slight shock, a bit of annoyance* Well, two of my bosses are guys, but one is a girl too, and I'm afraid none of them are here. I can try and help you if you like, what's the problem?

Turns out he just had technical problems with his dvd player, it will load and play any movie, it "just takes forever to load it" and he wanted to know how to fix it or why it would do that. Wow, I had felt like I had taken a time vacation. Meh.

Other small laugh for the week... had a guy come up to the front counter and plop down two largeish hardcover science/nature books (one on the solar system and another on something similar), which are generally pretty expensive. I think these were around 20-30$ each.

Guy: Hey, can you sell these to me for 25$?
    Me: Um.. may I ask why?
    (small bg.. if the book is damaged, sometimes I'll do a small discount off it, if we don't have another.. but only for that reason and only if it's obviously been that way for a while. In other words, if they didn't damage it TO get a discount)
    Guy: Well, y'all have had these for a while and want to get rid of them right? So, I'd like to get them both for $25.
    Me: *takes a look at the price tag, which also has the julian date listed on there, when it was printed* Well sir, this book here we got in January, and this one in April. We haven't had them for that long, I'm afraid.
    Guy: Well, I'll just leave them on the shelf then! (Oh noes!)
    Me: I'm sorry sir, you can either purchase them at the price listed on the tags, or leave them on the shelf. That's up to you.

I'll see if I have any additional later on today. It's my friday and it's been a heck of a week.
    Last edited by ShadedWings; 06-16-2010, 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
    Confirmed altoholic.

You obviously can't drive or shouldn't be out of the house either. Women who do they think they are...;-)

Comment

Quoth searssoulslave View Post
      You obviously can't drive or shouldn't be out of the house either. Women who do they think they are...;-)
      Bet she's wearing shoes and not pregnant too.

Seriously though what is wrong with people (not just men, I've known some women who think that way too) who act like that?

What are they going to do if they end up in a nursing home staffed and ran by mostly women?

The haggling thing is so foreign to me too. Unless you're buying a car what's the point? The price tag isn't a suggestion, pay or GTFO

Comment

Quoth ShadedWings View Post
        Guy: Well, I'll just leave them on the shelf then! (Oh noes!)
        Me: I'm sorry sir, you can either purchase them at the price listed on the tags, or leave them on the shelf. That's up to you.
        Did he actually put them back on the shelf where he got them from?
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth ShadedWings View Post
          Me: *picks up the line* Thank you for holding, this is Shaded, how can I help ya?"
          Old Guy: Yer a manager?
          Me: Yes sir, how can I help?
          OG: Well now! I never heard of no woman manager. You sure?
          *southern drawl* Ya mean...where ya live they let wimmins outta the kitchen?

I hated getting coworkers at my desk saying "can you take this call, the guy refuses to speak to a woman". I mean, really, is this 2010, or 1810?

...Granted, that was also when I put on my best Texan accent and answered the phone, "Thank ya fer callin' <company>...This here's Midorikawa. What can ahh do ya fer?" They usually wanted to go back to "that woman" when some guy who sounded like Cletus from The Simpsons picked up.
          Coworker: Distro of choice?
          Me: Gentoo.
          Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Hah! I don't know if he did put them back on the shelf, but I didn't see them sitting around myself. Maybe someone else did. :P
            Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
              *southern drawl* Ya mean...where ya live they let wimmins outta the kitchen?
              Well, sure! That bathroom don't clean itself!
              You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Idaho is full of people, including women, who think a woman's place is back in the bad old days.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

i hated when i was MOD and customers and some employees would not take me serious.

so many times customers even asked if there was a male manager on...grrrrr

Comment

To be honest, I think this was the first time (at least, that I remember) anyone had ever taken that route with me. I was kind of stunned and annoyed.
                    Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Working...
                    X