Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I say anything else, I have to say the caller from the original post is a complete and total idiot. End of story. That being said....

Quoth lorimeyers View Post
    How do I break this to her in the most polite way possible without making her feel stupid and embarrassed for confusing her right from her left.
    The way I often do it is simple. "No, your OTHER right!" And most people get that. Yes, you are correcting them, yes, you are pointing out that they are confusing their left and their right, but most people get that this is sometimes common, and saying it this way does save a lot of time from trying not to offend people by pretending you don't know that they have just confused their left and their right.

Quoth trunks2k View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, my girlfriend has trouble telling her left from her right.

I've now taken to saying "see that *insert car going the same direction as us* up ahead? Follow him"
    My best friend Neets is notoriously dyslexic, so after years of driving with her, I no longer say "go left" or "go right." Now I say "go your way" or "go my way." It makes more sense to her, she can't possibly confuse where each of us is in the car, and her brain doesn't get bogged down trying to figure out which way I mean. And since she knows she is dyslexic, knows that I know she is dyslexic, and knows how much trouble we have had in the past, this does not bother her in any way. It's much easier for all concerned. Hell, I think that even her husband has started to do that with her the few times she's driving when they are both in the car.

Quoth DemoDiva View Post
    Now, how about reading those damn analogue clocks?
    You would have hated growing up in my parents' house. They had (and still have) not one, but TWO clocks with no numbers on them. One just has a black face with a white spot where the twelve would be, and the other one has twelve circles in the appropriate areas, but no numbers.

Trust me when I tell you that my parents' three children have no problem with any analog clocks, with or without numbers!

Quoth Polenicus View Post
    You haven't reached the zenith of stupidity until you've got someone who spends the entire call typing the letter 'O' in their password instead of zero, because they think you mean alphabetical zeroes instead of numerical zeroes.
    First of all,

Second of all, I would beg to differ, as I am pretty sure I have seen the zenith of stupidity, between the guy that asked me how to get to the upstairs section of the restaurant when he was standing there in front of the stairs, looking at the upstairs section and the stairs leading up to them, and more recently, the guy who asked me quite seriously if Mount Gay Rum was rum designed for gay people to drink.

When people tell me that there are no stupid questions, I disagree, and use the above two, and others, as proof that there really are.

"What kind of fish can we catch under the island?"

I rest my case.

Quoth tollbaby View Post
    It's like doing the Vulcan salute. Did you know that only about 50% of people can do that? It's not a special skill or anything. It's just something you have a fifty-fifty chance of being able to do.
    And I could never do it....until reading your post, with my right hand on the mouse, I absentmindedly did it with my left hand. Without any problem. I can somewhat do it with my right hand, but barely, and then I can't hold it. No such issues with my left. Very, very odd. (Full disclosure: I have broken the middle finger of my right hand and my left wrist, but I have no idea if either of those play into this.)

Quoth Exaspera View Post
    But I can only do the Vulcan salute with my left hand.
    I am not alone! And that gives the whole "you have a 50% chance of being able to do that" a whole new spin, as Exaspera and I can only do it with 50% of our hands!

Quoth XCashier View Post
    Um, I'm female too, and I've never had a problem with NSEW. I think it's an individual thing, not a gender thing.
    I would say partly individual, and partly regional.

If, for example, you are from a city that is built on a grid system, where everything is north, south, east, or west, such as Phoenix or Tucson (check out maps for these cities, you'll see what I am talking about), the whole NSEW things is far easier than if you are from some place that just has a lot of windy roads going in a lot of different directions. Hell, I know without question that I know my compass directions far more when I am in Phoenix than when I am in, say, New Jersey.

Quoth EricKei View Post
    And here, you reach the Westbank (of the River) by going South along I-10 East...
    To get to Tucson from Phoenix, you take I-10 East. But you drive south.
    To get to Phoenix from Tucson, you take I-10 West....driving north.
    It's a little bend in I-10 that causes the road, for 110 miles between the two cities, to basically lie to you about directions.

Quoth EricKei View Post
    Poster on this board are automatically idiot-proof.
    I respectfully disagree. This board is no different from any other group. We have our geniuses and our idiots.

We are just more polite about not pointing out the idiots.

Other than when I point out the fact that I myself am an idiot. Which I do rather frequently, as it's both very amusing and very true.

Quoth Chromatix View Post
    I always like to say: "In Britain, we drive on the correct sde of the road."
    And I like to say I'm boinking Megan Fox.

Sadly for the you and I, neither statement is true.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I got lost on my way to this thread...
      Make a list of important things to do today.
      At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
      Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I would say partly individual, and partly regional.

If, for example, you are from a city that is built on a grid system, where everything is north, south, east, or west, such as Phoenix or Tucson (check out maps for these cities, you'll see what I am talking about), the whole NSEW things is far easier than if you are from some place that just has a lot of windy roads going in a lot of different directions.
        That's a very good point. I am originally from Phoenix, learned to drive there, and I will say this for Phoenix: addresses are amazingly easy to find there.

I'm now living in a town with a lot of crazy winding roads. I'm still prefer NSEW directions to left/right, because I can be reasonably sure I'm headed the correct way. With left/right directions, one wrong move and I'm SOL.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I can do the Vulcan salute with both hands...but sometimes I kinda have to think about it on the left for a second...
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I managed to make a 25km bicycle journey - that's 15 miles - a few days ago, in the countryside (so no grid system), using a printed-out paper map (which I had to keep tucked into the pannier rack behind me)... without making any wrong turns.

You may now be insanely jealous.

I had also done the sensible thing and taken the train to the nearest station to the destination. Everyone else cycling to this place was starting from the office and doing a 40km ride. We started from the office at the same time, and I arrived at least 45 minutes earlier.

Now they're all looking at me as though I'm crazy, because I opted to cycle the 25km back to the station that evening, instead of just loading my bike into the bus.

Comment

Working...
            X