This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this on sale?

Have had this a lot recently from customers - not sucky ones, just a bit strange.
    We normally just have items that are on sale or on multibuy on the endcaps, but because its been so busy recently, there have been items which have been taken off sale but no one has found time to move the items so they've just stayed on the endcaps, but with the sale signs removed. There is also stuff on the endcaps which we have a lot extra from Christmas still, but isn't on sale.

So a customer sees one of these items, but can't see a sale sign, so brings it up to me and asks what the price is. I scan it and tell them how much, and then they say a variant of "Thats reasonable, but is it on sale?" I tell them that I don't know, that it could be either be the sale price and the signs are just missing, or its the normal price.

"Oh, well if its not on sale, I don't want it then."
    Eh? If its an item you want, and its a decent price, then just buy it! Are you seriously trying to tell me, that you would pay £X for an item if it used to be £Y, but you're not happy to pay £X if it has always been £X? I really can't understand the logic here can anyone else?

That's weird. If $X is a reasonable price whether it's on sale or not, why not pay $X instead of not buying it because it's not $Y.

Damn, there go the brain cells again. (Gets up off couch. "Come back little brain cells, come back! I promise no more stupidity!")

Comment

There's logic to be found?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I guess some people just buy things to say they "got it on sale"?
        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

It's like a customer form of gambler's logic
          free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Yes, but any sort of logic is verboten in the SC's mind!

Comment

What strikes me as even wierder is if the difference between $X and $Y is less than a dollar. I can't count how many times that's happened. Thank you moron for the goback.

Comment

That is totally odd.

As my mom always said, crap is still crap, even if it's on sale. If it's a good product and a good price, then buy it. If not, don't. Seems simple.

Comment

Used to happen to me all the time at the luggage store. A couple of instances that stick out in my mind:

1) Happened a couple of days ago actually, when I was working a couple of shifts during the holidays (don't work there anymore). Customer comes up the counter with a backpack, asks how much it is - there was no tag on it. I checked in the computer and told her it was $21.99. She responds "Oh, that's expensive! Can't you give me a discount?". I tell her it's on sale from $29.99. "Oh, ok! That's a good deal, I'll buy it!".

2) Customer is looking at childrens' backpacks which are advertised as "Up to 50% off". As we all know here, the only thing a customer will see on that sign is "50% off". So, she comes up to the counter with a backpack that was originally $19.99, marked down to $10.39. I ring her up. She glares at me - "How much is the backpack??". I tell her "$10.39". "Is that 50% off?". I explain to her the concept of "up to 50% off" and calculate that it is actually 48% off. She storms out of the store "well, if it's not 50% off, I don't want it!".
                  Last edited by sunhasfallen; 01-04-2007, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I have heard several people say, "I never buy anything unless it's on sale." That makes no sense to me. Even if they are successful in practicing such a thing (which I sincerely doubt), it would take much more effort to avoid purchasing a non-sale item than I think most of my customers want to put forth in any shopping endeavor.

My take is this:
                    If I need something, I'll pay the regular price for it, and consider it a bonus if I find this something happens to be on sale when I need it.
                    If I want something, then I'll look for a good deal and avoid paying regular price unless I can't find any sale prices anywhere.
                    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                    - IPF

Comment

What strikes me as even wierder is if the difference between $X and $Y is less than a dollar.
                      Well, that depends on what X and Y are. A dollar off is a big discount on a $3.50 item.
                      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

"They're not on sale, but the manufacturer may be raising his prices soon, so you might want to get them before the next increase."

Comment

Working...
                        X