This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I have ID!

This is actually from Boxing Day, but I haven't had the chance to post it yet.
    I was on cash for part of the day, as it was hugely packed and we had all of our cash registers open.
    I'm helping one customer to finish up, and as I'm talking to her the next lady in line butts in.
    SC- stupid customer
    ME - obviously

SC: "Do you take cheques?"
    ME: "No ma'am, [drugstore] doesn't take cheques anymore."
    SC: "But I can show you some ID."
    ME: "That doesn't matter ma'am, we cannot take cheques."
    SC: "Well, I have no other way of paying."
    ME: "I'm sorry, but we haven't taken cheques for more than two years. There's nothing I can do for you."
    SC: "Are you sure you can't take my cheque?"
    ME: "Absolutely positive."

Remember, this is Boxing Day and the lineups are getting down into the aisles. I don't have time to waste arguing with this woman.
    Apparently she then went to the manager and complained that we didn't take cheques and that I had been very rude to her and laughed at her. *Sigh* some people.

I do, actually I prefer checks over plastic but I use cash if I have it on me.
    Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Sounds like the little bit of time I worked at West County, as the store was closing by the time I started working there, we no longer could accept checks.

As soon as I saw customers grabbing their checkbooks, I would point out we couldn't take checks. I got more than one, "Where does it say that?" and turn a few degrees to point out the huge sign behind my head, and on the pillar to their right, in effect, just about everywhere there was a sign.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth IMAPseudonym View Post
        Who uses cheques anymore to shop, anyways?

I used to, but now I use cash. Most stores make it too much of a pain in the ass to use checks anymore. (I'm happy that AT&T still accepts checks. )
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I primarily use my credit card... mostly I just use checks to pay bills. Before I had a CC I used checks just because I rarely had a chance to go to the bank for cash...oh, and living at college, I hated the idea of having too much cash lying around..
          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Oh man, I hate checks. They don't even show up on your account activity for days at a time (as opposed to debit card payments, where at least the authorization shows up immediately)!

I haven't used checks for almost 6 months now, and I don't plan on ever using them again, especially now that ING Direct has created their own interest-bearing no-minimum "checking" account service
            "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
            -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

As someone who is also from Canada, I can't think of a single store that still
              accepts cheques. It just doesn't happen anymore.

A similar situation happened to me a couple of years ago at the luggage store.
              Women comes into the store dragging her kid behind her and barks at me "show
              me your most expensive backpack". I show her a leather backpack we were
              selling for around $400. "I'll take it, and I'm paying for it with a cheque". I explain to her, sorry but we don't take cheques. "Oh don't worry about it, just call your manager and she'll say it's ok". Uh, no, I don't think so. There was no way I was going to call my manager at home on her day off for something that she wouldn't even be able to approve. Not to mention the fact that I was fairly sure the cheque was stolen as she told me it was third-party, and she was acting very suspicious. She kept whining on an on for a good 15 minutes, until finally she realized she wasn't getting anywhere and left.

Comment

All my local shops here in the UK either don't take cheques or are phasing them out.
                Apart from one corner shop who will take them (with a guarantee card) and not put them in the bank for a few days.
                This is a very popular service a day or two before payday.
                :-)

Comment

Quoth Ciarrai View Post
                  Apparently she then went to the manager and complained that we didn't take cheques and that I had been very rude to her and laughed at her.
                  Remember:
                  "No", no matter how politely it is said, equals "RUDE" if it means the customer cannot do whatever she wants.
                  "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                  .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth sunhasfallen View Post
                    As someone who is also from Canada, I can't think of a single store that still
                    accepts cheques. It just doesn't happen anymore.
                    I believe that my local Safeway accepts cheques, but they have very strict (but understandable) restrictions. Stuff like your name and address are printed on the cheque, no 2nd or 3rd party cheques blah blah blah...I think you also have to sign up as a cheque user or something. But generally, no one accepts cheques (yet they still try...)
                    -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                    -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

The only reason I have cheques is if I can't get to the post office for a money order to pay my rent. Then I pay with a cheque. But that's it.
                      Pardon the question, but why would you rather go to the post office and buy a money order for rent if you can just write a check?
                      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I'm from California, where most stores will accept checks, but restaurants won't. And if you do write a check, you have to present ID and give your phone number. Here in Wisconsin, almost every place takes checks, and only recently have I seen an increase in required IDs. (I've been here 4 years). I've noticed they don't really ID credit cards, but in California I'd pull out my ID out of habit, because it was required at so many places. I usually only write checks for bills. Debit cards are so much easier to use and I don't like the idea of a piece of paper with my address, account number, etc. floating around until it hits the bank. My feeling about that is partially influenced by the fact that I've had someone commit check fraud with my account. Thirteen years later, I still can't write a check at Walmart.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                          Pardon the question, but why would you rather go to the post office and buy a money order for rent if you can just write a check?
                          Sometimes landlords will wait until they get everyone's payment before depositing rent checks. This can mean they hold the check for 2 sometimes 3 weeks before cashing it. While I realize that this shouldn't be a problem for people who balance a checkbook properly, it is hella annoying, and easier just to get the MO and not have that balance sitting around.
                          The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
                          X