This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Magic Word

I don't deal with customers much anymore since becoming a bookkeeper. But there are still times I have to talk with the clients.

Often there will be transactions that I need an explanation for (usually checks without anything in the memo). Most clients are good about telling us what they are for. Not so with all...

Today, I'm talking with a client. I have only ONE question for him, a minute amount for most accounts.

It took 3 days to get an answer. I have him on the telephone, and he can't give me an answer. Or won't.

I explain several times I can't just put this to "Business expenses", then get a LONG RANT about how there isn't any Capital and blah, blah, blah.

Today, I got another one. Rant, that is. A long explanation about who this guy he wrote the check to is, how he's in the same business, he bought some display--

STOP! That's what I needed. "Display." The magic word that allows me to not speak to you for another month.

Now could ya have said that 3 days ago and not wasted my time?
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Now could ya have said that 3 days ago and not wasted my time?
    of course not; you're paid to listen to his ranting and raving.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
      of course not; you're paid to listen to his ranting and raving.
      Not enough, I'm not. >< There's a REASON we got someone who used to sell cars for the front desk.

She's got CHA stats up the whazoo.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

That's why I love this little account that we like to have in any client file we set up: an Other Expense account called "Ask My Accountant". So much more useful than "Misc Exp" The upside is, they can use it too when they're actually doing their own coding, and it's a huge red flag for the CPA's regular file reviews.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          That's why I love this little account that we like to have in any client file we set up: an Other Expense account called "Ask My Accountant". So much more useful than "Misc Exp" The upside is, they can use it too when they're actually doing their own coding, and it's a huge red flag for the CPA's regular file reviews.
          We have that, too, but it has to be empty before we can close the month.

Comment

Working...
          X