This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Enjis View Post
    They do it to rich old ladies wearing fancy furs, but they DON'T do it to biker guys wearing leather...wonder why?

Also, about Meijer's Thrifty Acres, the store that started this thread. They don't call it 'Thrifty Acres' for nothing! It's one of my favorite stores, and it's HUGE. I must admit that I can understand (almost) a busy mom not returing a toy to the toy department when she decides she does not want it. The toy area is WAY far from the food section.
    BUT, that being said, there is NO excuse for leaving perisable foods in non-cooler areas. None. And 'hiding' it? Why do they DO that? Is it out of shame (because they don't want anyone to see them doing something they know is wrong?) or is it because they really are dirty rats who like to play 'pranks'? ("HEE HEE, someone is gonna get a stinky surprise when they reach for this can of peas! Melted ice cream! HEE HEE!")
    Thrifty Acres?

Comment

Wayyy back, when the chain store was getting started, it had a little jingle that played on its commercials:
      "Meijer's Thrifty Acres, why pay more?" I have always remembered it.
      (and they really do have good prices.)
      I no longer fear HELL.
      I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
        Wayyy back, when the chain store was getting started, it had a little jingle that played on its commercials:
        "Meijer's Thrifty Acres, why pay more?" I have always remembered it.
        (and they really do have good prices.)
        Maybe I'm jsut too young to know it. I did read the store history i nthe handbook, I may need or reread it and see if that was in there.

Comment

This was interesting. We sell fried chicken in the back of a gas station. We put the foot in styrofoam, write the price on the top with a Sharpie, and give it to them, to be rung in at the front registers.

Occasionally, people will decide they no longer want the fried chicken, and just leave it sitting on a shelf somewhere in the store. Imagine someone else's surprise, seeing a styrofoam container with a breast dinner sitting between the peanut butter and the brown sugar
          I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
          less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

I've ditched stuff before...(heck I bet we all have) though the funniest I remember was an incident a few days ago.

Picture it: Reps wandering around wal-mart with a cast on his hand, unable to carry one of those little basket thingys. So, he needs a cart right?

Walking back to the front, I pause by a cashier, and say to her quote "Listen, I need to go grab a cart for this. Will you let me put it here and then I'll be RIGHT back." the girl looks at me and then just nods. So, off I go.

Not less than three minutes pass, and I return; only to find my items are gone. Looking at the girl, I ask "Hey, where'd my basket go?" To which she replies calmly. "Well, I thought you were just ditching it; so I took it up to customer service. Sorry." The last bit in a rather sing-songy voice. I talked with her CSM about that, and she got "talked to", and perhaps now she understands that when a person says they'll be back, she waits about ten minutes before assuming they're not returning. Not two.
            Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

I agree with you 100% That was a HUGE pet peeve of mine back in the day. If you decide you don't want something, fine. But put it back where it belongs!
              "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
              ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

I am so guilty of this. Now having said that, I am not so much an ass to leave perishables about the store.

My wife is a guilt shopper. She goes around and picks things up thinking she'll just put them back if she decides she either has found a better one or would rather have something else. And if she were there alone she would go put them back, but when we are out together and she decides to change her mind that honor is bequeathed upon me. The only problem lies in that she is invariably in the complete opposite end of the store from where she picked up the now rejected item when she decides she no longer wants it. So rather than walking a country mile to replace it I just abandon it around the cash registers.

Now to make those of you who work in retail cringe even more, the excuse I give her for not taking it all the way back is "Well, the people that work here aren't just here for window dressing ... might as well leave them something to do ... and besides the more work there is for them to do ... its kinda like job security."

PS. Might I have started with "Forgive me, for I have sinned ..." ??

Comment

indeed

Not that it's that much of an excuse, but I think often it's a simple application of ignorance. They're not THINKING about the results of their leaving around random items. Really, that's a whole category of things where if the SC just stopped and thought about it for .. say, 5 seconds, they would realize their foolishness.

Leaving perishables around though, ewww.

Comment

Quoth Scottya21 View Post
                    Not that it's that much of an excuse, but I think often it's a simple application of ignorance. They're not THINKING about the results of their leaving around random items. Really, that's a whole category of things where if the SC just stopped and thought about it for .. say, 5 seconds, they would realize their foolishness.

Leaving perishables around though, ewww.
                    I'm thinking that maybe they're under the mistaken idea that someone will immediately see it and put it back where it belongs (because "That's their job anyway!", but that's a whole other rant.)

Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen, especially if the person who works that particular aisle is out that day. Perfect example: As I was leaving one night, I was exiting thru my aisle, when I saw a can of something or other on one of my shelves. I thought "Screw it! I'm on my way out! I'm off the clock, I'm not dealing with it." It wasn't perishable, so it was no big deal.

The next day was my day off. When I returned to work two days later, wouldn't you know it? That can was still there.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                      I'm thinking that maybe they're under the mistaken idea that someone will immediately see it and put it back where it belongs (because "That's their job anyway!", but that's a whole other rant.)

Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen, especially if the person who works that particular aisle is out that day. Perfect example: As I was leaving one night, I was exiting thru my aisle, when I saw a can of something or other on one of my shelves. I thought "Screw it! I'm on my way out! I'm off the clock, I'm not dealing with it." It wasn't perishable, so it was no big deal.

The next day was my day off. When I returned to work two days later, wouldn't you know it? That can was still there.
                      I've had that happen. It's worse when an SC abandons not necessarily a perishible, but soemthig nthat leaks chemicals that redners anythign around it unsellable.

Comment

Working...
                      X