This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am STILL NOT A MANAGER!

Had a guy come in yesterday before I moved to the late night UScan... and immediately asked for a manager.
    I point him at the two on duty... Bitch from Hell and the newbie. He looks at their lines, as the store is massively busy at the time, and then just starts right out yelling and ranting at me about how he went to the gas station outside, and they refused to sell him cigarettes because he only has one of those paper replacement IDs. And, no, he's not angry with me, and that's discrimination, and his lawyer said so, and he's lost in his own little world, and get him some cigarettes, and why the hell don't I have another register open for him to check out through?
    Well, I have one register down because of scale issues that aren't fixable at store level, it appears, and did you happen to notice the line of five other people who were waiting when you came in?
    But, he has to get back to his job. Wait, you left your job just to go buy cigarettes? So, your rush is NOT my problem...
    Of course, the moment he said 'Lawyer', I should have just stopped responding to him...
    "I call murder on that!"

While I haven't had the delight of getting one of those paper temporary ID's yet, I thought that the DMV made it clear that you need to hold onto your old one while you wait for the not-so-temporary one to arrive in the mail.

Of course, listening and following directions has never been a SC strong point.

SirWired

Comment

Whenever I've received a temporary paper replacement ID, the Secretary of State cut off the top right corner of my old ID and stapled the temporary paper one to it. Therefore, if I needed an ID while still waiting to get my new one in the mail, I would have something to show.

Of course, SCs typically don't have logic to spare, so...
      "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

Anyone who has ever come through the store with those temporary paper IDs has only ever had the temporary ID, no old ID... since the temporary ID does have a picture of the owner on it...
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
          Anyone who has ever come through the store with those temporary paper IDs has only ever had the temporary ID, no old ID... since the temporary ID does have a picture of the owner on it...
          Aha, that makes sense. My state's temporary IDs don't have any sort of picture, just basic information in text, so the old ID would be needed for anything that required a picture ID.

So, wouldn't his temporary ID be enough proof to be able to sell cigarettes to him since it has a picture on it? Or is it required to be a permanent ID in order to sell items like that?
          "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

Quoth ExRetailDrone View Post
            So, wouldn't his temporary ID be enough proof to be able to sell cigarettes to him since it has a picture on it?
            Yes. As the night manager eventually told me when I told him the story, but I wasn't about to deny him cigarettes, since I KNEW the temporary ID is perfectly fine.
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
              Yes. As the night manager eventually told me when I told him the story, but I wasn't about to deny him cigarettes, since I KNEW the temporary ID is perfectly fine.
              So he was complaining that he couldn't buy cigarettes because he only had the temporary ID, which would have been fine to use?

Oy, an SC's lack of logic hurts my poor widdle head.

Comment

Aren't all IDs temporary? They all have an expiration date. My DL is only good for eight years.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

So he was complaining that he couldn't buy cigarettes because he only had the temporary ID, which would have been fine to use? the gas station refused to allow as valid ID, and seeing as they're not part of the union, I'm not sure if they have to follow the same rules...
                  Edited to clarify

Oh, my gods, HE CAME BACK! Same damn problem, same damn shirt. Must've spent the night somewhere that wasn't home.
                  Anyway, at least he didn't rant at me about it this time, but that means I guess the burden of passing along the message to the proper higher ups falls on me, AGAIN.
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    Aren't all IDs temporary? They all have an expiration date. My DL is only good for eight years.
                    Depends on where you get the ID from, most European countries have their driver licence issued until you reach age 65.

As for temporary id down in oz you get this nice receipt that says you paid money and the hope that Australia post dosn't lose it this time.

Comment

This is one of the reasons why I got a proof of age card about a week before I turned 18. (18 is the drinking, smoking, etc. age in Australia).

When I went for my licence, while I was waiting for my actual licence to arrive, I would have the proof of age card on me to use for ID purposes. I also use it when I go out to a pub-that way if I accidentally lose it, I can still drive.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth That Guy View Post
                        Depends on where you get the ID from, most European countries have their driver licence issued until you reach age 65.
                        My driving license (Danish) is valid until my 70th birthday, after that I'll have to renew it every second year.

Comment

Aha, that makes sense. My state's temporary IDs don't have any sort of picture, just basic information in text, so the old ID would be needed for anything that required a picture ID.

So, wouldn't his temporary ID be enough proof to be able to sell cigarettes to him since it has a picture on it? Or is it required to be a permanent ID in order to sell items like that?
                          My state just switched to a new system. You get a 30 day temporary that has your picture, and has been deemed secure enough by the TSA to allow you to board a plane. The plastic card that was your ID/License is surrendered once you renew.

It is entirely up to the staff/management at the bars, stores, or any other place if they will accept them.

That guy probably won't be without the plastic card for too long... usually 2 weeks at most.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            If this isn't sarcasm, "temporary ID" is a slip of paper from the DMV (US) with your photo on it until your physical, plastic ID comes in the mail. Paper temp ID is only good for like a month.

I have to get a new DL in October (on my birthday nonetheless). Woo girl, time to go to the gym because the DMV camera adds about 150lbs. :| (and apparently a bright red hue to my cheeks)
                            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Sarcasm? Moi?

I am reminded of a co-worker that had a patent application for a disposable casket. His thought was, "aren't they all?" They were intended for shipping, not burying.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X