This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This a Cellphone Service Store?

NO! This is a GAS STATION. You just so happen to be able to buy your cellphone minutes here. All I know how to do is type in a code, tell the machine you want 20 dollars of a certain type of phone minutes and then scan the barcode that comes out.

This guy doesn't get it.

He comes up with one of our "just for show" cards. It is a Roost Mobile thing, it says you can get 20, 30, or 50 dollars of minutes. He simply hands it to me.

Me: Which dollar amount would you like?
    SC: I want this card.
    Me: Yes, this is just display, which one?
    SC: Thirty.
    Me: Okay. *calls out to CW for her to come up to help with customers*
    SC: Why's she need to come up here?
    Me: Because these take forever to print and there's a line.
    SC: Oh, haha, I thought you might say you didn't know how to do them.
    Me: These are easy, they just take a long time.
    SC: Okay good.
    Me: 31.80.
    SC: What? Why is there a 1.80?
    Me: I dunno, some of them do that. That's just the way it rings up.
    SC: Well that's stupid, I want to know why.
    Me: And I wish I could tell you.
    SC: You guys should really know more about this stuff.
    Me: Right.

He pays and leaves. He comes back two hours later and is trying to figure out why his minutes aren't working.

SC: It's not working, they say there's a code I have to put in, let me see the card I gave you.
    Me: Sir, the card is useless, it's for SHOW, this isn't a global phonecard, the printout is all you need, there is a PIN number on it that you type in.
    SC: Let me see the card!
    Me: *hands him the stupid paper thing THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN INVENTED*
    SC: Now there should be a code on the back.
    Me: ..........PIN NUMBER. *points to the PIN on the printout*
    SC: So this is all I need?
    Me: Yes.
    SC: Okay lemme go try this again.

Another hour goes by and he's been sitting in our eating area making a fuss over this. He comes up to my register again.

SC: Okay, I don't know what this means, I can't get this to work.
    Me: *sigh* Sir, I'm not a phone provider, I don't service these, is the phone store open?
    SC: No, it's SUNDAY, they're already closed by now, just listen to what this phone is saying! Fix it!
    Me: Sir I do NOT service phones, I sell these phone cards but that's IT, I have no training in this.
    SC: *ignores me and puts his phone on speaker* Now listen to this, it wants me to do this stuff, I don't understand what it means. Can you understand what this means? I mean, come on.
    Me: ....................Sir, there is a line behind you.
    SC: *is listening to his phone rattle on.*
    Me: Sir.....
    SC: Well I think it means I have to buy more minutes to activate it. I think I need 40 or more. Well can I get 10 dollars? Will this work?
    Me: They come in 20, 30, or 50.
    SC: So there's NO POSSIBLE WAY to get just ten?
    Me: .......no.
    SC: Oh...well...then I GUESS I'LL JUST HAVE TO TAKE TWENTY. Since you won't give me 10.
    Me: Okay! Fine, 20 dollars of Roost Mobile then?
    SC: I guess. Will this fix it?
    Me: *ignore* Here you go, thank you, CAN I HELP WHO'S NEXT?!

Probably the same type of person who doesn't read signs or understand anything they sign . Sounds like he needs a service plan for his brain.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

More and more I suspect that phone/tech support workers are spared a huge number of really stupid callers who are unable to grasp "press 1 for assistance" and just hang up in frustration.
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I always feel for the people who have NO idea how to set up their phones. ESPECIALLY Roost. There is no "press 1 for assistance." option, because there are no people there that I can tell. You HAVE to do it automated.

I can activate most any pre-paid phone, and usually don't mind adding minutes. In this case I'd have done the same thing. He was a jerk.
        Follow me on Twitter! I tweet about Retail stuff. Or look for #customerssuck Also D&D and general nerdiness.

Comment

I use Tracfone, they work the same way. The cashier scans the card and you use the PIN number hat appears on the receipt. You can do it online or you can do it right on the phone. The dollar store sells the minutes, they just keep a big pack of phone minute UPC cards at the register, find the one you want, scan it and hand you the receipt. I bet people STILL get confused about it, though.

That reminds me....I need to go buy some minutes!
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            I use Tracfone, they work the same way. The cashier scans the card and you use the PIN number hat appears on the receipt. You can do it online or you can do it right on the phone. The dollar store sells the minutes, they just keep a big pack of phone minute UPC cards at the register, find the one you want, scan it and hand you the receipt. I bet people STILL get confused about it, though.

That reminds me....I need to go buy some minutes!
            The customers probably get confused that Sprint =/= AT&T =/= Verizon =/= Virgin Mobile and that all of the minutes aren't interchangeable.
            Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Working...
            X