Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's amazing what people think is "legally required." I'd love to see their faces when the cops tell them there is no such law.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      I bet we could start a thread called "But you HAVE to..." all about the things customers think we are required (by law) to do for them... starting with "you have to give me your name."
      That sounds like a really good idea, I have a couple to put up there. As for me, I have 3 aliases that I go by:
      1) for work I go by Sarah Belmont
      2) online I go by Sarah Valentine
      3) this one is a little weird (please don't judge me) when I play video games I put my name in as Kyle Reese.
      ......../\
      ....../__\
      ..../\...../\
      ../__\../__\

Comment

I don't deal with customers at my job, but there are other departments that do. The ones that deal with customers over the phone get assigned a fake name, and if the customer asks for a name, that's the name they get. If a customer has a valid complaint against an employee, their manager knows who it is can take action, and employees don't have to worry about being stalked.

On a related note, I had to work on one of the programs a few years back that maintain employee lists and their aliases. One of the requirements of the "user alias" field was for it to be alpha only -- no numbers. We were discussing that at a meeting, and someone asked why that was even necessary. The manager replied that is was so that we couldn't put something like "R2-D2" in the field. Then someone else asked, "Why not? The customers know we're lying anyway!"
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Cops wouldn't tell them what's legally required. Cops don' typically know. However, lawyers and judges would know. And would tell them.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

It's amazing how many people (SCs) quote the law. Yet they know absolutely nothing about it.

Comment

I now work in a professional environment and my company email is firstinitiallastname@company.com. The only time I have a problem is if I get a flashback to retail. When I worked fast food/retail/telemarketing, no way would I tell folks my last name. I'm the only one in this state with that name. Right now, only handful of people (my family) have that last name in all the US. So no, I'm not keen on giving out my private information. What's funny, is that my name isn't really that unusual. Just no one else has it.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I always use Mr. Jasshole. Hugh is my first name

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  SC: Nonna Yerbizness.
                  Quoth Mmmm_Beer View Post
                  I always use Mr. Jasshole. Hugh is my first name
                  And there's always Ms. Waite, first name Helen....
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

When I worked for the Navy, people on the phone would sometimes mishear my first name as "Captain." I rarely bothered to correct them.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                      Surprisingly I have no issue giving my First and Last name, but there are a few reasons.

1) Nobody ever believes me.
                      2) When they do believe me, they think I am somebody I am not (at least if over the phone)
                      3) It is a famous name (well semi famous), but I am not said famous (or semi famous) person.

The thing is, I always get asked "Were you named after such and such?"

Well no..seeing as I am older, and even if not..since such and such is kinda young, my parents hadn't heard of them when I was born.
                      Well, now I must demand your name!!!

At the bookstore we answered the phone with our first name, and it was on our nametags, but we never gave out last names. The only people whose last names were ever given out were the store manager and the community relations manager (both of whom had business cards).

Customer service at the warehouse uses their first names only, as well, at least on the phone. I don't know what the rules on last names are but they do use them in emails (our email addresses are firstinitiallastname @ company.com). But I don't deal with customers anyway.

The only other person with my first name is my mother (and technically it's her middle name; she goes by it in most circles, but wouldn't likely be listed under it anywhere).
                      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 09-06-2010, 10:46 PM.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                      X