This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mystery of Coupons

The coupon half off was for one White Board, marker and eraser. With Tax Free day the board is 2.00 after coupon.

The lady buys two of the white boards and hands me one coupon.

I read her the total.

SC: That should be four dollars.
    I look at the board.
    Me: Well you bought two of them.
    SC: But I gave you the coupon. That's supposed to take the two dollars off.

I read the coupon carefully. In the fine print it says two coupons per household, only one item may be discounted with this coupon. I point this out to her.

SC: Well, I should be able to get them both at two dollars off.
    ME: One moment please.

I find a manager at the service desk and verify that the coupon can only be used on one item. I return to the register.

Me: Sorry ma'am. We can only use one coupon per item. You can use two coupons on both items, but the coupon is only good for one item each.

SC: (With a heavy sigh) Well I have a second coupon.

She preceeds to pull out the second coupon from her purse. If she knew she had it the whole time, why not just pull it out instead of trying to use her Jedi mindtricks to change the coupon's terms?

I'd say scam, but usually scammers make a better effort.

Had a person come in and try to get the tax off of an item he bought yesterday. I should have placed a cash bet on that happening.

Of course it's a scam. If she had been able to get two of the items discounted for one coupon, she'd have gone back into the store and picked up two (or ten!) more. That's why she only came to the register with two. That way, if she got called on it, she could produce the second coupon and still get the items at a discount.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
      Of course it's a scam. If she had been able to get two of the items discounted for one coupon, she'd have gone back into the store and picked up two (or ten!) more.
      And if she got away with it the first time, but called on it the second time, she could pull out "But they did it for me yesterday!!!!!"
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        And if she got away with it the first time, but called on it the second time, she could pull out "But they did it for me yesterday!!!!!"
        Yesterday? Probably more like: But they did it for me 5 minutes ago. It was that guy right over there.

Comment

Agreed on both counts.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I'd argue that this is a good reason to make the line on coupons that says 'Limit X per item' larger, but that would lead to more 'I didn't see that!' arguments...
            My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
              I'd argue that this is a good reason to make the line on coupons that says 'Limit X per item' larger, but that would lead to more 'I didn't see that!' arguments...
              We have a 12 inch by 12 inch plasma screen that shows the food order in our drive through. Its at window height of any car that isn't a gigantic lifted truck. 50% of my customers take 30 seconds or more to find this screen.
              Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                We have a 12 inch by 12 inch plasma screen that shows the food order in our drive through. Its at window height of any car that isn't a gigantic lifted truck. 50% of my customers take 30 seconds or more to find this screen.
                Which just proves Kevin Smith was right with that one part of Clerks (okay, everything but the opening credits...): the bigger something is, the better the chance that an SC is going to miss it completely.
                My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

That's because it's not a cell phone and it's not in their hands. If you could find a way to text this info right to their cellphones, not a one would miss it.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    If you could find a way to text this info right to their cellphones, not a one would miss it.
                    Hold on, i'm having a premonition...

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU SENT IT AS A TEXT I NEVER GOT A TEXT I GOT A TEXT BUT IT WAS SPAM SO I DELETED IT AND YOU HAVE THE WRONG NUMBER OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE I NEVER GOT A TEXTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
                    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Working...
                    X